DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset, angry seagulls and lost connection - this is not a relaxing hobby!

AngryGardener

Reactions
When does this get easier? 20 flights every flight still has moments of heart racing panic as my brain struggles to keep up with what's going on vs. what I want to happen.

This session should have been simple - take off and shoot the sunset. Easy, right? Well, I've got a lot to learn on how to quickly apply camera settings in different situations, so I'm already at 7 on the anxiety meter.

First panic - 450m out I lose visual with wireless range and wireless interference warnings. Quickly retreated and landed - hands visibly shaking on controls.

Few recovery minutes later I take off and immediately piss off a seagull who calls his friends over for some strafing runs at my little bird. Wow. 10 min of flight time and I've almost lost it twice!

3rd flight. Let's go with some manual settings and expose for the actual Sunset. Nice. Still too much noise and compression- but I will figure it out eventually.

Finally figured out how to get royalty free music off of SoundCloud using a mobile device. Big win for my upcoming travels - planning some vlogging in Iceland next month.

Tried to keep the video short:

I use to feel your pain :cool:... Flying my Phantom 2, I would get the shakes from time to time - sometimes, really bad shakes. With the Mavic I just decided that if I lose it - I lose it. I'm not going to store it away at home. It needs its daily exercise :D. It sounds like you are flying in a signal-rich area. There's probably lots of WiFi routers in homes/offices along your flight path. Just remember, you did good by noticing the error messages and taking the proper action. Keep flying! The shaking improves greatly with a fifth of vodka, NO! I mean with experience Thumbswayup

On a recent shoot, I was inundated by swallows, as I was making my way towards a dam. I stopped and let them fly around. It made for some nice footage (see opening shot below). I kept my cool and just took note of where exactly the Mavic was, incase I needed to dispatch a rescue mission.

@Qoncussion I take the same "if I lose -I lose it" approach. I've now owned my Mavic since October 2016, never crashed, never lost it and never replaced props. I actually take it for granted, many times I'll have her way out side of VLOS and just leave it hovering while I smoke or make a phone call. (Drone police no need to reply ;))

@Qoncussion I take the same "if I lose -I lose it" approach. I've now owned my Mavic since October 2016, never crashed, never lost it and never replaced props. I actually take it for granted, many times I'll have her way out side of VLOS and just leave it hovering while I smoke or make a phone call. (Drone police no need to reply ;))
Ditto :p. On my very first flight, my phone crashed when the bird was about 1/2 a mile away. I released the sticks, and rebooted the phone. All the while I had absolute confidence that the Mavic would remain right where I left it. And, it did. I didn't get nervous or even start to think bad thoughts.

Yip I have found it best to let it hover and have your smoke

When does this get easier? 20 flights every flight still has moments of heart racing panic as my brain struggles to keep up with what's going on vs. what I want to happen.

This session should have been simple - take off and shoot the sunset. Easy, right? Well, I've got a lot to learn on how to quickly apply camera settings in different situations, so I'm already at 7 on the anxiety meter.

First panic - 450m out I lose visual with wireless range and wireless interference warnings. Quickly retreated and landed - hands visibly shaking on controls.

Few recovery minutes later I take off and immediately piss off a seagull who calls his friends over for some strafing runs at my little bird. Wow. 10 min of flight time and I've almost lost it twice!

3rd flight. Let's go with some manual settings and expose for the actual Sunset. Nice. Still too much noise and compression- but I will figure it out eventually.

Finally figured out how to get royalty free music off of SoundCloud using a mobile device. Big win for my upcoming travels - planning some vlogging in Iceland next month.

Tried to keep the video short:

Nice video! I remember it well from up the coast north of you. Couple of thoughts - the wifi interference, check that you have turned off wifi on your device. I got the same warning 20 miles out in the Arizona desert - turns out it was my iPad. Seagulls? Ya, almost every flight they are around.. strangely sometimes they will come after little Mav from a 1/4 mile away, other times they completely ignore him. I haven't figured out if it's time of day, territorial or something I haven't thought of. I've had bald eagles, pigeons, and even hummingbirds take a run at Mav but collision avoidance followed by a vertical bug out have worked so far. I have a new skin on order, we'll see if that helps. You haven't mentioned the crazy "I think the sun is an obstacle so I'll climb over it" maneuover, it will happen unless you have disabled the collision avoidance when filming around sunrise, sunset. As to camera settings, there are a TON of great YT vids that will clean up the noise and compression.

Like most here will say, fly lots, fly often. The confidence will build, these are amazing machines! If you are planning any trips up the Sunshine Coast, lemme know - we'll go flying.

I factor in so many variables before flying. Legality, perceived legality, circling birds, recoverability of craft should it go down, camera settings etc. there was a carefree time when I just launched my drone. Maybe it's the cost of the craft (even though I have refresh).

Thanks guys. This forum is great. It's the social, shared experience and the folk knowledge we so willingly exchange.

You know - it probably isn't the money that stresses us out. If you can afford a drone you can afford to lose it. It would hurt, sure and you might not buy another (immediately anyway).

But that's not it, we all know there are 2 kinds of drone pilots: Those that have crashed, and those that are going to crash.

I think it is the fear of making a stupid mistake, and especially of being judged by others if that mistake is public, and even if it isn't public (whew) - that voice in our head is brutal when we screw up. Should-ah, would-ah, could-ah replays.

Funny thing is. These feelings are a big part what make us human, and feel alive - and help motivate us to take risks and learn.

Love the Sunshine Coast. Let's make it happen! Iceland first, though.

Gulls are funny, they will swoop and dive all over the Mavic, but not actually hit it, nothing to worry about, but certainly un-nerving! They do tend to keep their distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31