Join Us Now

Tablet(s)

Bravo20

Reactions
Hi guys,
Seriously considering purchasing a Tablet. Two have peeked my interest;
1/ Samsung Tab Active Pro or
2/ Tripltek Pro.
Any thoughts or comments would be very welcome.
I would prefer an ANDROID O/S
cheers...Harry.

Reactions: MA2 317
Hello from the Crossroads of America Bravo20.

Nice to meet you Harry. ?

I've flown with a mini4 for years and have recently upgrade to the Tripltek Pro.

It's really nice but heavy. They make tablet adaptors for the Tt but the weight of the tablet may be too much over time on the antenna / holder of the remote.

I purchased this rig and it's rock solid with the Tripltek adaptor.

Ultimate tablet holders | thors-drone-world

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Bravo20
Tripletek is the brightest if you want to go tablet route. Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is the brightest phone with fairly large screen, but of course a bit smaller.

Skyreat sells some great tablet holders. Got a nice aluminum one for my Lenovo M10 and holds it great. Came with a lanyard so that helps hold a bulky tablet too.

I started with my IPhone SE, then moved to my iPad Pro. Couldn't see either in the bright sun, even with sunshields.
Then, bought a Samsung tablet and had a little better luck seeing but finally bought a Tripltek tablet and love it. Can see in direct sunlight with no issues. The tablet is heavy, 1.5 lbs., so you might want to factor that in. I have a phone sim in so always connected when out flying and the thing can be used for regular tasks.

Reactions: MA2 317
This 7 inches I assume is corner to corner. Have been looking at the 12.9 inch tablet and concerned at the sun from previous comments now.

Skyreat sells some great tablet holders. Got a nice aluminum one for my Lenovo M10 and holds it great. Came with a lanyard so that helps hold a bulky tablet too.
I'm looking for a Android tablet to replace my Mini 4 since it's gotten to slow o then DJI fly. How's that Lenovo M10's speed? and how's the brightness it on a sunny day? I can always get a sunscreen. Thanks and HFTA

Reactions: tlswift58
I'm looking for a Android tablet to replace my Mini 4 since it's gotten to slow o then DJI fly. How's that Lenovo M10's speed? and how's the brightness it on a sunny day? I can always get a sunscreen. Thanks and HFTA
The Lenovo M10 is not in the class of the Triptek - ie why it's way cheaper. Bright sun is an issue for most tablets, except maybe the Triptek (never owned or seen one myself) - yet it does the job way better than my Motorola Z phone. It is only wi-fi, so no cell service which is fine with me in reading so many complaints from folks whose tablet / phone does have cell capability. No problems updating at home or when near wi-fi. I only use the Lenovo for my drone and I regularly "clean" it up from files that build up over time that will slow any tablet down. Some complain that it does not have "compass mode" which I never used before; so not an issue. I was playing around with it and it did bring up a "compass view," unlike the older map screen which I'm used to using when needed. Maybe that came with the newest updates and whether it works 100%, I didn't check it out - but it was the compass view.

Price wise, could not beat the Lenovo as was not going to pay the extortion prices of an Apple product that may only be slightly better. Everyone has their own preferences for "brand" and that's cool - so if you love Apple - buy it.

I would look at and compare the many models of tablets out there and find one that is decent in price with the highest "nits" count - as that is what the Triptek supposedly excels in. I find shade, go under my SUV hatch, or mostly where I fly - direct sun is not usually a big issue. A hood would be a great add for those times where it is for sure.

If you like your iPad, I'd do everything possible to go in and clean up all the unneeded files (esp old DJI ones that build up quite quickly and large) and delete them. Never owned an iPad, so no idea on how to do that and "defrag / optimize" the drive to get it back in shape better. Maybe an app like CCleaner or other will help in that if available. Removing programs you never use like games / etc help in the overall scheme of things too. It's doing the same thing you have to do with PC's to keep them running efficiently - as MS products never were good at doing that on it's own. Most people don't know or do that often enough and get mad when it slows way down due to a mass buildup of junk.

Reactions: JP_CACIKE
The Lenovo M10 is not in the class of the Triptek - ie why it's way cheaper. Bright sun is an issue for most tablets, except maybe the Triptek (never owned or seen one myself) - yet it does the job way better than my Motorola Z phone. It is only wi-fi, so no cell service which is fine with me in reading so many complaints from folks whose tablet / phone does have cell capability. No problems updating at home or when near wi-fi. I only use the Lenovo for my drone and I regularly "clean" it up from files that build up over time that will slow any tablet down. Some complain that it does not have "compass mode" which I never used before; so not an issue. I was playing around with it and it did bring up a "compass view," unlike the older map screen which I'm used to using when needed. Maybe that came with the newest updates and whether it works 100%, I didn't check it out - but it was the compass view.

Price wise, could not beat the Lenovo as was not going to pay the extortion prices of an Apple product that may only be slightly better. Everyone has their own preferences for "brand" and that's cool - so if you love Apple - buy it.

I would look at and compare the many models of tablets out there and find one that is decent in price with the highest "nits" count - as that is what the Triptek supposedly excels in. I find shade, go under my SUV hatch, or mostly where I fly - direct sun is not usually a big issue. A hood would be a great add for those times where it is for sure.

If you like your iPad, I'd do everything possible to go in and clean up all the unneeded files (esp old DJI ones that build up quite quickly and large) and delete them. Never owned an iPad, so no idea on how to do that and "defrag / optimize" the drive to get it back in shape better. Maybe an app like CCleaner or other will help in that if available. Removing programs you never use like games / etc help in the overall scheme of things too. It's doing the same thing you have to do with PC's to keep them running efficiently - as MS products never were good at doing that on it's own. Most people don't know or do that often enough and get mad when it slows way down due to a mass buildup of junk.
Thank you, Swift for the information and if your Lenovo is still working fine for you then I will definitely pick one up. I just want to use it exclusively for my MA2. My IPad Mini 4 is only for the drone and although I have cleared the DJI cache every time and keep nothing else on it, it's slowing down now. Last year, it was great. Dunno if the recent DJI updates are hogging up the little bit of RAM the Mini 4 has or what could it be but it's time for a change. Thanks and enjoy the summer stay safe! HFTA

Thank you, Swift for the information and if your Lenovo is still working fine for you then I will definitely pick one up. I just want to use it exclusively for my MA2. My IPad Mini 4 is only for the drone and although I have cleared the DJI cache every time and keep nothing else on it, it's slowing down now. Last year, it was great. Dunno if the recent DJI updates are hogging up the little bit of RAM the Mini 4 has or what could it be but it's time for a change. Thanks and enjoy the summer stay safe! HFTA
When doing my kind of droning / photography of waterfalls - staying safe is imperative. I still push the boundaries some, but know that my balance and such is not what it used to be as a young person. The drone makes for great shots without much of the going over the edge as needed with a DSLR. Yet, many trails we follow to falls are sometimes sketchy at best.

I've had the Lenovo a good 6 months and I only notice a small lag is when I don't clear the files often ( I shoot a lot of videos that are big - but since I shoot mainly in 1080p /25 fps nowhere near what they'd be in 2.4 / 4k). It's not just the DJI files that build up, so clearing those as well does help if not needed. The tablet fits in the Skyreat frame well and I did buy a longer cable, but the one I got with the drone probably would work.

Hey Swift, I got a few more years on ya' so I can understand what you said about balance. Question on the Lenovo M10 when you're using DJI fly, does the screen darken a lot on days very hot days? I understand the glare factor and not having a super bright screen that's understandable for the price we pay but what's annoying is when my Mini 4 lags AND automatically darkens the screen to conserve power, which Apple phones and IPads do. How does the Lenovo deal with heat? Does it automatically lower the screen brightness? I'm very close to buying the Lenovo M10 now, just need to hear what your responses are on these questions. Roll tide, Baby!!
Thanks

Hey Swift, I got a few more years on ya' so I can understand what you said about balance. Question on the Lenovo M10 when you're using DJI fly, does the screen darken a lot on days very hot days? I understand the glare factor and not having a super bright screen that's understandable for the price we pay but what's annoying is when my Mini 4 lags AND automatically darkens the screen to conserve power, which Apple phones and IPads do. How does the Lenovo deal with heat? Does it automatically lower the screen brightness? I'm very close to buying the Lenovo M10 now, just need to hear what your responses are on these questions. Roll tide, Baby!!
Thanks
RTR for sure!

As for heat and hot days. We don't see many of those in Western NC. Temps rarely get up to higher than 85-90 most days - even in "dogs days" of summer. We die from the humidity here! LOL

I have not noticed any darkening due to heat like I've heard from Apple users on a "droid" tablet or the Lenovo. I think it does have a setting that allows it to darken some depending on "light conditions" but I usually have all that turned off. The less items running in the background to me is better.

Bottom line - the Lenovo or some of the "cheaper "tablets are not for everyone and that is apparent in this large group - and that's okay. If I was a 107 / running a business - I'd probably get the Triptek or one of the better & more expensive tablets as it is a business expense and I like having top quality products. As a sole rec flyer - my budget is less, not that I could not buy the Triptek or any of the newest / latest and greatest drones (I can), yet it is a hobby and a fun one that I can get away with using the Lenovo or another tablet in a less expensive price range - thus why I did not spring for an iPad. I also do not typically fly in wide open spaces where direct bright sun would / might be an issue.

Comparing ALL of the tablets and looking at them from the "nits" perspective would be something I'd suggest for anyone. If I could get a higher "nits" tablet at a reasonable price that has the capabilities I need / want - then why not spend a few more bucks and not worry about some awkward sunshield (they are to me) if possible.

Let us know if you do a comparison and what looks good. Never know when you'll need a new tablet like in places I go fly.

I use a Samsung Tab S5e, I've not noticed any issues with it lagging etc, using a hood I can see it fine on a bright day. At 400gms it is not noticeably heavy.

I love my Tripltek. Just got it back in fact. Had the screen burn out on me in the middle of a power line inspection out in the middle of no where. Tripltek was quick to tell me some tricks to make sure it was a hardware fault. After about 3 text messages I had an RMA. They had it about 30 days, they repaired the unit, did a burn in test and updated the firmware. After doing research I have not found another person that has had this happen. It was 4 month old. They were very easy to deal with.

The only issue is tablet mounting and I have come up with some free solutions for those that have a 3d printer and a very cheap solution for those that don’t.

I will be posting in GD tomorrow when I get it all ready. Adapters for Inspire/Cendence controllers and for the new Air 2s/MA2 controllers that lock the tablet in and allow lanyard or harnesses to be used.

I use an Ipad Mini 5 also. I like the fact the Ipad does not draw on the controller battery but they are are hard as hell to see sun. Tripltek is much preferable over the Ipad and the Crystal Sky. I have had my Tripltek Pro since January.

B2624373-D845-4692-8F8F-40DF22EE9312.jpegA16E5303-6662-4C4F-ADDA-35BFC704AA0E.jpeg

RTR for sure!

As for heat and hot days. We don't see many of those in Western NC. Temps rarely get up to higher than 85-90 most days - even in "dogs days" of summer. We die from the humidity here! LOL

I have not noticed any darkening due to heat like I've heard from Apple users on a "droid" tablet or the Lenovo. I think it does have a setting that allows it to darken some depending on "light conditions" but I usually have all that turned off. The less items running in the background to me is better.

Bottom line - the Lenovo or some of the "cheaper "tablets are not for everyone and that is apparent in this large group - and that's okay. If I was a 107 / running a business - I'd probably get the Triptek or one of the better & more expensive tablets as it is a business expense and I like having top quality products. As a sole rec flyer - my budget is less, not that I could not buy the Triptek or any of the newest / latest and greatest drones (I can), yet it is a hobby and a fun one that I can get away with using the Lenovo or another tablet in a less expensive price range - thus why I did not spring for an iPad. I also do not typically fly in wide open spaces where direct bright sun would / might be an issue.

Comparing ALL of the tablets and looking at them from the "nits" perspective would be something I'd suggest for anyone. If I could get a higher "nits" tablet at a reasonable price that has the capabilities I need / want - then why not spend a few more bucks and not worry about some awkward sunshield (they are to me) if possible.

Let us know if you do a comparison and what looks good. Never know when you'll need a new tablet like in places I go fly.
Thanks Swift, I did many comparisions and I'm exhausted looking. I'm still looking for the inexpensive 8 inch android tablet with 4Gb of RAM that is not sold out of the USA. I'm waiting until something comes along. There's so many variations, it makes it too difficult for me. I'm patient so I'll wait. HFTA!

I have a Lenovo M10 for other purposes and it's a great tablet for the price, but it's no brighter than my Moto G Power phone, so I'm not tempted to fly with it. BTW, I have a friend with a Smart Controller, and my phone screen is the same size as his screen and nearly as bright. So I'm happy with the phone, so far.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972