DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet to fly/handle 4k video editing

bellerophon51

Reactions
Ok guys so if found myself in this situation of looking and looking and looking some more....it's driving me mad now.

Current situation is currently fly my MP with the Samsung s8+ and own a galaxy tab s which is useless and won't work. I also own a clapt out laptop....ready to hang it's boots up.

Basically I'm after a tablet that I can fly with and do some cool videos and editing with....Nothing major just the basics..

Or do I keep flying with my phone and try get a mid market laptop for editing?

Any iPad Pro, even the iPad mini 4 is awesome for flying and pretty good for editing. The iPad Pro blows the mini away as for editing.

I personally find tablets somewhat limited as far as editing goes. You would also have to upload your 4k footage onto the tablet. If that's the way you like to edit then great but I'm not aware of any tablets that would be good for that. A laptop/desktop would be a much better choice if you really want full editing capability's.

I also forgot to add that I'm not a massive apple fan.....now is there anything down the android route that could handle it? If push came to shove id have to go apple again [emoji17].

As for the desktop laptop...I wouldn't mind going that route as it would be more useable to me than the iPad I belive. But then I loose out on a bigger viewing platform.

I wouldn't find myself going mad with editing anyway infront think....I'm not all that skilled. Just some sharpening and playing with colours would be great and being able to cut clips into one film would be adequate

Hands-on: LumaFusion – this is the iPad video editing app we’ve been waiting for [Video]

Not an Apple fan either but I now own an iPad Pro 10.5 and an 8+. Also just finished a first quick and dirty edit with the Luma Fusion app on the pro with scrap clips. I’m an editing dummy, but this app is fun for my limited brain power. Love me that high refresh rate touch screen and fast chipset, and lots of features to grow into. Actually amazing fo $20. 256gb on my iPad should handle a trips worth of video and my micro-sd/lightning adapter works great

I have no desire to use the iPad with the controller, but it would make one heck of a combo controller/edit platform with this new app.

Technology is improving quickly even if my skills are not

Reactions: bellerophon51
Serious editing on a tablet is going to be a pain without adding 4K in the mix.
A decent mid-range laptop or (better) desktop is the way to go.

You don't need anything especially powerful to fly it.
I mainly use a refurbished S5 from ebay - under £100.
Having a device dedicated to it is desirable, depending how much you fly.

Serious editing on a tablet is going to be a pain without adding 4K in the mix.
A decent mid-range laptop or (better) desktop is the way to go.

Unless you’re using an iPad Pro, which has a processor that bests some high-end laptops. I just upgraded and editing in 4K is a dream using the LumaFusion app.

Reactions: ksmusa
Ok guys so if found myself in this situation of looking and looking and looking some more....it's driving me mad now.

Current situation is currently fly my MP with the Samsung s8+ and own a galaxy tab s which is useless and won't work. I also own a clapt out laptop....ready to hang it's boots up.

Basically I'm after a tablet that I can fly with and do some cool videos and editing with....Nothing major just the basics..

Or do I keep flying with my phone and try get a mid market laptop for editing?

I just recently got a free Galaxy Tab E 32GB as a promotion for buying two S9's for me and the wife. We both have phones, tablets, and laptops to I relegated the free pad to my Mavic. Have flown a few times with it and it works like a dream. Flawless. Don't even have an SD card in it yet. Also got a Threeking Pad Holder for MAVIC/SPARC from Amazon. It is also perfect for the task. Actually having a little more fun now flying with the pad rather than with the phone. Works good for editing too. Most of the things I share don't require big production and the apps on the pad do fine. Go Samsung. I don't own electronics with an "I" in the name or fruit on the cover.

I have played LumaFusion on my iPad Pro, iPad (2018 model) and iPhoneX all of them work very well. I have been very impressed with it even with 4k. I use the iPad when my flying will have me looking at the screen a lot and my iPhone 6s or Samsung S8 otherwise. I would pass on the Mini as it is very outdated on the hardware front and the weight difference between the 9" iPad and the mini is negligible.

Reactions: ksmusa
I have played LumaFusion on my iPad Pro, iPad (2018 model) and iPhoneX all of them work very well. I have been very impressed with it even with 4k. I use the iPad when my flying will have me looking at the screen a lot and my iPhone 6s or Samsung S8 otherwise. I would pass on the Mini as it is very outdated on the hardware front and the weight difference between the 9" iPad and the mini is negligible.
What about editing over/under exposure? I’ve got some great videos but can hardly see a thing. From 1st flights with no filter, midday sun. Musemage did a decentish job, given its free. Luma worth the splash?

For an editor that runs on your iPad I think it is worth the price. It has basic exposure controls of brightness, contrast and Highlight/Shadow Radius. Here is a link to the manual so you can look through more than what they list in the features short list. https://luma-touch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Luma-Fusion_Reference-Guide-Verision-1.6.pdf

Remember if the exposure is off a lot nothing will save it. Overexposed and the highlights are gone underexposed and no detail and brightening it just makes for a washed out noisy mess.

Any iPad Pro, even the iPad mini 4 is awesome for flying and pretty good for editing. The iPad Pro blows the mini away as for editing.

I have an iPad mini 2, but I’ve found that the real time video feed (when recording) is choppy, and my Samsung Tablet is worse. The only device I can use without any problems is my iPhone X... Any ideas why this might be?

I have an iPad mini 2, but I’ve found that the real time video feed (when recording) is choppy, and my Samsung Tablet is worse. The only device I can use without any problems is my iPhone X... Any ideas why this might be?

Because the mini 2 is outdated and the X is fairly new. The X can handle 4K video editing with no problems while the mini 2 struggles editing 1080p. It’s just the hardware of apple products over 2 years old can’t handle it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400