DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taco ND Filters - two thumbs up!

zach5150

Reactions
I've been hanging out in the DJI community forum and have been wanting to spend more time here so I thought I'd jump in and say I've had my Mavic for a few weeks and its awesome!

I see a lot of people asking about Taco filters here and at the DJI direct forum. I received my set last week and they are awesome! No noticeable color shift and initialization works like a charm! Highly recommended. They come in a nice little carry case too.

I'm not affiliated w/ them at all. I just wanted to pass the word on that they work really well and seem to be made with quality in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocatcr and AAPhoto
If we're just trying to reduce jello, which one should we buy?

If we're just trying to reduce jello, which one should we buy?

I don't tout myself as an expert but here's my opinion and what I've learned. You'll need to use different filters depending on lighting conditions with the whole goal of getting to to a shutter speed of 1/60th to 1/150th (+/-). It depends on the frame rate you shoot too. Typically you want the denominator of the shutter speed to be about 2x the frame rate. So, I typically shoot 2.7k/30fps. So I try to get a shutter speed of between 1/50 and 1/100 at ISO 100-300. In brighter light that requires an ND8 or ND16. Less bright day would be ND4 or ND8.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I don't tout myself as an expert but here's my opinion and what I've learned. You'll need to use different filters depending on lighting conditions with the whole goal of getting to to a shutter speed of 1/60th to 1/150th (+/-). It depends on the frame rate you shoot too. Typically you want the denominator of the shutter speed to be about 2x the frame rate. So, I typically shoot 2.7k/30fps. So I try to get a shutter speed of between 1/50 and 1/100 at ISO 100-300. In brighter light that requires an ND8 or ND16. Less bright day would be ND4 or ND8.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I am planning on getting these, but don't have any experience with ND filters. Have you used them in lots of sun? I'm asking because they also offer an ND64 (not multi-coated). I'm wondering if I should get that too or if that is only used if you are trying to film the surface of the sun, lol...

I received the Taco MC ND filters a few days ago and I can't recommend them enough - very easy to install. For anyone on the fence about ND filters, let me tell you go ahead and buy a set. I can't imagine shooting video without them anymore.

Reactions: zach5150
I am planning on getting these, but don't have any experience with ND filters. Have you used them in lots of sun? I'm asking because they also offer an ND64 (not multi-coated). I'm wondering if I should get that too or if that is only used if you are trying to film the surface of the sun, lol...

Im not sure what circumstances would require the ND64. The ND32 is pretty dark and is recommended for use on the brightest of days or when shooting a snow covered landscape (super white).

I ordered the 5-pack multi-coating filters last week. Waiting patiently for mine. I'll post when I get a chance to use them.

Multi-Coating or Non Multi-Coating?? Worth spending the extra $$ on the MC? Anyone done a comparison test?

Thanks!

Multi-Coating or Non Multi-Coating?? Worth spending the extra $$ on the MC? Anyone done a comparison test?

Thanks!
I still trying to figure out the difference between the 2. Lol. Been doing the reading, but no tobright on photography. [emoji17]

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

Now if only they would come out with a Circular Polarizer Filter. That would complete my set! REALLY want the CP Filter!!!

Im not sure what circumstances would require the ND64. The ND32 is pretty dark and is recommended for use on the brightest of days or when shooting a snow covered landscape (super white).
I just tried shooting a snow covered landscape today (mid day) with the Taco ND32. Set to manual, 100 iso, 30 fps, shutter speed 60. Every single bit was overexposed. I wish I had done a screen shot of the zebra stripes. I went home and immediately email Taco-RC to see if I could return my four pack for the six pack set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been hanging out in the DJI community forum and have been wanting to spend more time here so I thought I'd jump in and say I've had my Mavic for a few weeks and its awesome!

I see a lot of people asking about Taco filters here and at the DJI direct forum. I received my set last week and they are awesome! No noticeable color shift and initialization works like a charm! Highly recommended. They come in a nice little carry case too.

I'm not affiliated w/ them at all. I just wanted to pass the word on that they work really well and seem to be made with quality in mind.
Not everyone has such good luck with them. I have a P4 and ordered the 4pack 4/8/16/32. When it arrived I opened the cardboard box to reveal a nice leather like zipper container. However the zipper container was open(unzipped). It only contained 3 of the 4 filters. The 16 was missing. All the others were very dusty as though they had been used and not cleaned. Think I got a returned incomplete set that someone else had used and sent back. TACO's QC suck. Now waiting for them to send an SD! Lord knows when they will get around to it.

I just tried shooting a snow covered landscape today (mid day) with the Taco ND32. Set to manual, 100 iso, 30 fps, shutter speed 60. Every single bit was overexposed. I wish I had done a screen shot of the zebra stripes. I went home and immediately email Taco-RC to see if I could return my four pack for the six pack set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You will definitely want a 64 for snow scenes!!

Not everyone has such good luck with them. I have a P4 and ordered the 4pack 4/8/16/32. When it arrived I opened the cardboard box to reveal a nice leather like zipper container. However the zipper container was open(unzipped). It only contained 3 of the 4 filters. The 16 was missing. All the others were very dusty as though they had been used and not cleaned. Think I got a returned incomplete set that someone else had used and sent back. TACO's QC suck. Now waiting for them to send an SD! Lord knows when they will get around to it.

We are very sorry to hear that. Please email us at [email protected] and we are willing to help. Thanks.

Reactions: Big Bull
I am very new at this and purchased the Mavic and Taco filter set. I do most of my filming over water in bright sun (Florida). Am I better off with the ND filter or the UV one? I tried the 32 and was not happy with results.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am very new at this and purchased the Mavic and Taco filter set. I do most of my filming over water in bright sun (Florida). Am I better off with the ND filter or the UV one? I tried the 32 and was not happy with results.

If it is the focusing problem, it seems that MAVIC is weak at handling auto focusing while shooting in low light environment. Usually we use the manual focus and set the focus to infinity.

I film sailboat races and the sails seam to reflect and washout all the detail. Between the glare off the water and off the sails it's unusable .

From my understanding, the UV filter offers no benefits as the Mavics camera already has its own UV filter. So yes, use the ND to lower the brightness and your shutter speed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661