DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my Mav Pro carry on? Flying American Airlines.

I'm pretty sure you have to tape the battery port with tape. There's also a rule of like 2 or 3 extra batteries.

I just took mine on a plane this week. Took it in my carry-on (as if I'd trust it to a baggage handler...right), put the batteries in Li-Po (fireproof) bags (you can find them on Amazon here) - no problems, no TSA hassle. Easy.

I'm pretty sure you have to tape the battery port with tape.
The battery terminals do need to be covered.

In addition to taping the battery terminals, some other common options are:
  • Store the batteries in a case/bag that has separate battery compartments
  • LiPo Bags
  • Battery Covers (like these or these)

Last edited:
Hi,

I just got my Mav Pro and plan on taking it to the beach. I'm flying American Airlines and my question is should I take it carry on? Will they allow that?

I was going to purchase this case:
https://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Cas...92&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mavic+pro+case&psc=1

I only have one battery so far.

Thanks

i fly very often (international) and it doesn’t really matter what airline you fly on as far as carrying on a drone/batteries, but rather where you fly from. if you’re flying out of the US, there shouldn’t be any problem but coming back from countries in the middle east could be a problem. there’s also a size and 7kg hand carry limit on most major airlines so if you have a lot of carry on’s you can check in your drone without the batteries (batteries must to be carried on). i usually carry on 3 batteries in between US and asian counties and i’ve never had any issues. tsa’s seem to care more about carrying on liquids and sharp objects. you can’t even carry on drinks purchase after the security check for inbound flights to the US.

The battery terminals do need to be covered.

In addition to taping the battery terminals, some other common options are:
  • Store the batteries in a case/bag that has separate battery compartments
  • LiPo Bags
  • Battery Covers (like these or these)
Are you saying that a battery cover (that just covers the terminals) is an acceptable alternative to a LiPo bag? (And by that I mean acceptable to TSA.) If so, that's great news...it's a whole lot less bulky.

I flew last in February, and I spoke to the TSA guys at the airport the day before to ask what I was in for. The next day, I went through the check, and I thought it was strange they didn't want me to remove everything from the drone case. The case was closed when it went through the scanner, and TSA never looked inside. The flight attendants didn't seem to care what was in my case when I boarded that flight and then the connecting flight.

I remember there was a LIPO battery caution for that airline(I think is what American), but it didn't seem like they made an issue of it. I don't want to be on a flight, myself, when a fire breaks out, but I do like to travel as freely as possible. Caution should be exercised, especially on an aircraft or other confined spaces so I will get those battery bags this next year when I fly again. I would like other flyers to do the same, but I can only ask them to follow the carrier's directions.

hassanchop- I did post some official publications from TSA on travel in the General forum under the OFF TOPIC forum. Here if that helps,..-
Travel with Lipo batteries advice

one thing I see others haven't brought up is *if* you have separate compartments for your batts I don't believe you need to cover your terminals. But, since you only have ONE batt that might be why no one has mentioned,..

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Are you saying that a battery cover (that just covers the terminals) is an acceptable alternative to a LiPo bag?
I'm saying you just need to ensure nothing touches the battery terminals. That's why something as simple as putting a piece of tape over the battery terminals is acceptable.

Isn't there also a rule stating the charge must be under a certain charge like 20% or something?

Isn't there also a rule stating the charge must be under a certain charge like 20% or something?
No.

You can find a complete list of rules here.

Yep thanks, seldom fly and haven't yet with the MP so I haven't really looked into it.
Thanks Msinger

I ALWAYS put my batteries in a fireproof charging bag when I'm traveling on a plane. Its just a little extra protection

Reactions: gxmech
Thanks so much for this thread. Plan on taking mine aboard Delta next week.

Isn't it safer to travel with a disharged battery than a completely charged one?
Millions of people travel with fully charged (or nearly full) batteries every day. How many accidents have you heard about in the news recently (or ever)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom