DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Techniques to locate lost Mavic - how to find?

Dougcjohn

Reactions
I posted this incorrectly in a freq range question, and I’m sure it’s been asked previously too. With new firmware, tools, optional apps, etc as a new flyer I’m asking how all the experienced pilots locate a lost Mavic.

Basically, if you go out to far or ignore battery warning too long and it lands short of returning to "home"; what methods are applied to locate it. I’ve read where some use the flight logs, but curious if other methods. If battery is low, then lands... you loose connection with MP correct?

In addition, while flying and you loose site (looking down at RC, etc) is there a quick way to find it in sky while panic creeps in on loosing. I’ve pressed RTH to get it back where I can see it, then cancel RTH.

My greatest concern as new flyer is loosing MP and not knowing how to locate quickly.

If battery is low, then lands... you loose connection with MP correct?
You will lose the connection between the Mavic and the remote controller if there are any obstacles between the Mavic and the remote controller.

In addition, while flying and you loose site (looking down at RC, etc) is there a quick way to find it in sky while panic creeps in on loosing.
Here are a few things you could do:
  • Keep your Mavic close enough so you can see it with your eyes.
  • Use the map in DJI GO to locate your Mavic and fly it back to the home point.
  • Enable the option to show the flight path on the DJI GO map (see the screenshot below) and follow the same path back to the home point (this works even if you cannot see the map).
DJI-GO-Show-Flight-Route.jpg

If my Mavic is lost, I would extrapolate position based on the log, but I have something even better. I just stick a Trackimo to it. Now I just use my phone to locate it.

Reactions: DagDerniT
If you regularly fly your Mavic out of direct observation, you might consider strapping on a Marco Polo tracking beacon. I did, and regard it as cheap insurance; I just need to make sure I remember to turn it on it each time before flying.

I haven't needed it yet, but my tests showed I can pick up the signal and track it almost a half-mile away in heavily-wooded areas.

Thanks! How do you fly it back on flight path? Flight path shows on map and you fly back towards line? Is the movement on map grainular enough to see current flight & direction or is it a corrective action type of flight... meaning over / under reaction, seeing result and correcting again? I haven’t explored long distance yet, but have occasionally lost it in the sky.

How do you fly it back on flight path? Flight path shows on map and you fly back towards line?
Yes.

Is the movement on map grainular enough to see current flight & direction or is it a corrective action type of flight... meaning over / under reaction, seeing result and correcting again?
You can see the direction the Mavic is facing on the map. Yaw until it's pointing in the proper direction and follow the flight path line.

Thanks to both on the GPS trackers, great idea! Are both of these GPS... many of these are BT which I don’t understand why people purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks to both on the GPS trackers, great idea! Are both of these GPS... many of these are BT which I don’t understand why people purchase.
Marco Polo is not GPS - the beacon transmits a direction-finding signal for the handheld receiver to home in on and a fully-charged battery will keep pinging for several weeks. It doesn't need GPS or cellular signal to function, which is why I bought it as well as the fact that it's a one-time purchase and there is no need to keep paying monthly fees to use it. Cell coverage in the area around my home is very poor.

Msinger, I also purchased the led lights & mounts from your site... those also help locate in daylight sky... and are very cool and visible for evening close to home fun flights. Great lights, Thanks!

Marco Polo is not GPS - the beacon transmits a direction-finding signal for the handheld receiver to home in on and a fully-charged battery will keep pinging for several weeks. It doesn't need GPS or cellular signal to function, which is why I bought it as well as the fact that it's a one-time purchase and there is no need to keep paying monthly fees to use it. Cell coverage in the area around my home is very poor.
I’ll look that one up too... so Receiver... it comes with it’s own receiver? Is it small device on Mavic?

I’ll look that one up too... so Receiver... it comes with it’s own receiver? Is it small device on Mavic?
It's tiny and very lightweight; I'll post a photo of mine below. It's not waterproof, but is sealed up enough to probably withstand drizzle and light moisture for a while. The blue button is power on/off, the hole above it is an indicator LED and the USB charging port is just to the left, on the end. As you can see, with leg extenders in place the antenna doesn't touch the table.

They sell a waterproof version that's slightly heavier and significantly larger, so I went with the smaller one that I can leave in place when folding up the Mavic.

IMG_1352.JPG

If it is obvious that it will not make it back, find a spot to land with access for you to find it, then land it. There should be sufficient battery life after landing to use the "Find My Drone" feature in the Go 4 app. Find My Drone will give you a map showing the location of the Mavic and the RC. When you get close you can make the front LED's flash and the Mavic beep.

Of course, it is best to avoid the problem in the first place. Watch the Mavic speed and if it is going away from you faster than normal, you have a tailwind that you will have to fight to come back. The battery indicator does not keep wind speed or direction into account so do not only rely on it to get you back.

Thanks for pic... that is small. Any reason you placed on arm vs Velcro on top in Ft of battery? Antenna downward, is that preferred to upward?

Reactions: Prado man
Two other thoughts:
  1. Use the radar at the bottom of the Go4 app to orient yourself towards home. Just yaw till the arrow (your craft) is facing the center dot (home point).
  2. Home Lock ~ activate it and pull your right stick straight back - and hold it there. No matter which way the craft is facing it will fly straight home.

If it is obvious that it will not make it back, find a spot to land with access for you to find it, then land it.
And, if you do this, make sure you land via the auto land feature. If the remote controller connection is lost when attempting to manually land, the Mavic will attempt to return back to the home point (using the default RC Signal Lost setting).

Reactions: Mossiback
And, if you do this, make sure you land via the auto land feature. If the remote controller connection is lost when attempting to manually land, the Mavic will attempt to return back to the home point (using the default RC Signal Lost setting).
I did not know that. I appreciate the information.

Two other thoughts:
  1. Use the radar at the bottom of the Go4 app to orient yourself towards home. Just yaw till the arrow (your craft) is facing the center dot (home point).
  2. Home Lock ~ activate it and pull your right stick straight back - and hold it there. No matter which way the craft is facing it will fly straight home.
On the radar I’m aware of craft icon, hadn’t noticed a dot for home... I’ll examine that. Lost me on the Home Lock, doesn’t pulling Rt stick back control direction? Or that changes with home lock?

Thanks for pic... that is small. Any reason you placed on arm vs Velcro on top in Ft of battery? Antenna downward, is that preferred to upward?
Yes, your link above is the best to get info and buy a Marco Polo; they are also sold on Amazon, but I bought direct to save them the Amazon commission. You can also search YouTube for "marco polo tracker" or similar - there are a number of videos showing it in use with drones and RC planes. I installed it where it is to make it as compact as possible, stay in place when folding and not look tacky as all heck - some Marco Polo installations are just UGLY. I also didn't want to place the beacon on top due to GPS receivers, compass and other sensors and RF receivers there. Yes, there are antennas in the front legs, but the Marco Polo antenna is between them and the main body - a compromise. I have found no problems in flying since adding the beacon.

The antenna points downward to stay clear of the props and electronics as much as possible - another reason to mount it as far out on the front leg as possible. When tracking, I don't think it makes much difference, because a downed Mavic might land in any orientation and the antenna will probably get bent in a different direction anyway. It would be sad to use the Marco Polo to track my Mavic to a tree branch 60 feet above the ground, but at least it gives me a fighting chance to find it in very dense woodland around here. The map helps you get a rough idea, but finding a Mavic in the woods is not easy - the Marco Polo will lead you to within a foot or two if you can pick up the beacon's signal with the tracker. The tracker isn't very large when folded up, so it stays in my Mavic bag at all times.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13