DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tello. Who's getting one? I did!

Just in case... Gamesir T1 and T1s, do NOT work with the Tello, either with iphones or Android devices I had this confirmed directly from Rhyze and Gamesir tech support. I
also tried many times to get 1 to work. and NOPE. There is a Gamesir 1-D coming out soon (ish?) they claim. FYI there is a nice Tello Pilots site. Take a look.
DJI Tello Drone Forum

Reactions: mrchris87
Happy to confirm that the mad catz ctrli controller works perfectly with iPhone 8+ and the Tello

Also nice that you can use the buttons to take off, take pictures, do flips etc.

You can get it on amazom or DJI web site now 99.00 i ordered one on Monday and got it Thursday works great but you must remember this is just a toy. It dose a lot of tricks you can also program it, i found a App DRONR BLOCKS for a ios phone that will let you program missions
to the Tello. also there' a controller MADCATS a mfi rated controller that works fine with the Tello it's just nicer to use a controller to fly for me but you WILL NOT get more range

My favorites are the Syma x21 and the Cheerson cx10D. Both cost under $25 each and have altitude hold which make them easier to fly. They’re great indoor flyers.

Guess you've never flown a Tello? Different league control wise. They act more like a GPS drone and is incredibly stable.

Reactions: ssvdh66
Got mine. Fly it indoor all the time. Very stable but I hate the onscreen controls.

i did and looks like it will hit the marks for us. I probably want to buy 10. I have always bought our gear (many $1000s of dollars) with Rise Above, but we are currently looking at a sponsorship with someone else. I did approach Rise Above about a deal, but they were not interested.
Its a shame. Is such a growing field in Australia, and everywhere, but no one actually wants to support education in any of this despite all the banter and talk at conferences etc. iTs actually one of the things ill be talking about when i speak in Sydney and Melb at upcoming conferences. Im always listening to State and Fed Gov types as well as big and small industry all sprouting about the growing field and the need for training and development. It took me 3 years to have the course supported in our school but no actual help to set the program up. I am now delivering the Cert 3 Aviation - RPAS and CASA Controller Cert and Radio License. We are currently using some P3s and then all of my own personal equipment, which i supply as i do believe in the need (we are not a private school) then a handful of the parrot mini drones for some coding with our junior students

It actually wouldnt be uneconomically viable for companies to help out. Last year I trained 18 students, who all went out an bought a drone (mostly P4s and mavics) and this year i currently have 20 students who will probably do the same. I would make sense for me to send them all to one place. Best help i can get from companies is some stickers. Anyway, this isnt the forum for this discussion- but it does frustrate me

Hey anzacjack,

If you are still interested in getting some Tellos for your school, our store is willing to help out. We have sparked alot of interest in the TELLO with our local primary schools in Victoria. The ability to program the drone through scratch, 13 min flight time and having a camera makes it the best beginner drone out there. Being the DJI authorised retail store of Australia, (D1store), we aim to share the love of drones to everyone. Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you are keen!

Cheers

Reactions: Kvark and ssvdh66
Got my Tello the other week. It’s “ok.” There’s a huge amount of lag, either with iPhone controls or using my Steelseries Nimbus controller. Makes it a little scary to fly, and not even close to the precision of the Mavic Pro. You push a direction and the Tello flies, but you let go of the stick and it KEEPS flying a bit longer in that direction before it stops. Very unnverving.

Got my Tello the other week. It’s “ok.” There’s a huge amount of lag, either with iPhone controls or using my Steelseries Nimbus controller. Makes it a little scary to fly, and not even close to the precision of the Mavic Pro. You push a direction and the Tello flies, but you let go of the stick and it KEEPS flying a bit longer in that direction before it stops. Very unnverving.
hahahahaha,your comparing a $99 drone to a $1000 drone ?

Hey anzacjack,

If you are still interested in getting some Tellos for your school, our store is willing to help out. We have sparked alot of interest in the TELLO with our local primary schools in Victoria. The ability to program the drone through scratch, 13 min flight time and having a camera makes it the best beginner drone out there. Being the DJI authorised retail store of Australia, (D1store), we aim to share the love of drones to everyone. Feel free to email us at [email protected] if you are keen!

Cheers
That’s great thanks mate. I’ll get in touch

Reactions: changedmymind
Hey all,

Just curious to see who has/planning to get the Tello? I was fortunate enough to acquire one a couple of weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. My wife, on the other hand, has not been too enthused. With anything more than 5 mph wind being a real struggle for the tiny drone, I've been mostly antagonizing her while I sit on the couch in the room next door. Here are my pros/cons for the Tello so far:

Pros-
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Advanced technology for price point
  • DJI flair
  • One of the longest flight times in this category
  • Well built and durable
Cons-
  • Struggles outdoors
  • Does not come with transmitter
  • Often intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity
  • Short range
I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone else who's gotten their hands on one or plans to add one to their collection!

IMG_3845-e1519657115316.jpg
Howdy, 55 mph gusts outside, made me buy one. LOVE IT! it has a sports mode! just need extra batteries and a bluetooth game controller and ill be set.

Reactions: Let Us Drone
Howdy, 55 mph gusts outside, made me buy one. LOVE IT! it has a sports mode! just need extra batteries and a bluetooth game controller and ill be set.

It is indeed a fun little drone. Just be sure to not go anywhere near those 55 mph gusts [emoji6]

Reactions: frank candor
You push a direction and the Tello flies, but you let go of the stick and it KEEPS flying a bit longer in that direction before it stops. Very unnverving.
Of course it will: It does not have sophisticated auto braking, like the Mavic has. So momentum will carry it forward, just like taking your foot off the accelerator in a car won't immediately stop the car).

But that doesn't mean you can't apply braking--just like you might do in a car. When flying my Tello around the house I often "brake" by reversing my right stick movement, rather than just letting go or returning to center. It easily cuts stopping distance in half.

Mike

Reactions: Mavman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760