DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Knowledge Test..

• Thread starter Deleted member 35657
  • Start date
Does this "exam" only appear when you're in the US? Do other countries have similar exams? If you're from another country and travel to the US, does this exam then appear and require you to pass it before flying?

Does this "exam" only appear when you're in the US? Do other countries have similar exams? If you're from another country and travel to the US, does this exam then appear and require you to pass it before flying?
If you are in the US there are no exams required to fly legally. The only time you have to take an exam is if you are getting a part 107 license, which is for those seeking commercial use.

If you google this test, you'll see that it was developed in co-operation with the FAA. In other words, the FAA is forcing them to do it. The test was apparently initially developed* in Canada where it is to be initiated soon as well.

I find this really hard to get worked up about. And honestly, if you can't answer these 9 questions correctly, I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't be flying....? Yes, it is your drone, but it's not your airspace. A minor inconvenience to insure that users know just a few basic laws. We've all seen brand-new flyers come on this forum 10 minutes after having flown their brand-new drone into the stratosphere and crashed, completely ignorant of laws....and of course this behaviour effects us all.

*I use the word "developed" loosely -- this couldn't have take more than 15 minutes to put together.

Reactions: SunnyD and locoman
All the "control" being imposed by DJI - tests, forcing us to stay out of areas with enforced NFZs, removing debug - is designed with two things in mind: 1) To avoid an idiot-award level accident where a commercial flight skids off the runway when somebody wants the perfect shot of an A380 taking off or some bozo crashes their just-out-of-the-box Inspire into the windshield of a school bus, or worse. Since we live in societies (most of us, anyway) where the many are forced to pay for the incompetence of the few any scenario like this will end up with mandatory licensing, even more severe restrictions, and the slowing of any real progress in small UAS technology which is pretty much being driven by DJI right now. And 2) it's a complete CYA for DJI. They can say to regulatory authorities "Look," (insert appropriate government name here) "we added NFZs and we added the test anything else is in your court." Which gets them off the liability hook when the moron in Scenario 1 tries to sue DJI for not doing enough to stop him from flying in an unsafe manner. All the added nonsense the rest of us have to put up with so that Moron #1 can fly is like a tax we have to pay to get the Mavic 4 and the Phantom 10 and whatever else is coming down the pipeline in the next decade.

Just a thought.

All the "control" being imposed by DJI - tests, forcing us to stay out of areas with enforced NFZs, removing debug - is designed with two things in mind: 1) To avoid an idiot-award level accident where a commercial flight skids off the runway when somebody wants the perfect shot of an A380 taking off or some bozo crashes their just-out-of-the-box Inspire into the windshield of a school bus, or worse. Since we live in societies (most of us, anyway) where the many are forced to pay for the incompetence of the few any scenario like this will end up with mandatory licensing, even more severe restrictions, and the slowing of any real progress in small UAS technology which is pretty much being driven by DJI right now. And 2) it's a complete CYA for DJI. They can say to regulatory authorities "Look," (insert appropriate government name here) "we added NFZs and we added the test anything else is in your court." Which gets them off the liability hook when the moron in Scenario 1 tries to sue DJI for not doing enough to stop him from flying in an unsafe manner. All the added nonsense the rest of us have to put up with so that Moron #1 can fly is like a tax we have to pay to get the Mavic 4 and the Phantom 10 and whatever else is coming down the pipeline in the next decade.

Just a thought.

Thanks for saying this. I agree wholeheartedly. This may be my favourite post here.

Just a thought.
so true

My issue is that the test asks you things you do not need to know in order to legally fly in the US. 1, 2, and 9 for example.

My issue is that the test asks you things you do not need to know in order to legally fly in the US. 1, 2, and 9 for example.

There you go... a perfect example of why the test _should_ be given. #1 _is_ a legal requirement to fly in the US under hobby us. It appears that you did not know this.

Here is my 2 cents on the test.... I fail to see why anyone would complain about this. Should really just leave it at that.

DJI has been the opposite on over-bearing when it comes to flight restrictions. They have done a _far_ better job than the FAA or anyone else. I will say that there have been some hiccups in some ways but it's still true.

This _test_ is about as unobtrusive as anything could be. How long does it take... 30 seconds? You can also skip it several times before you are required to give up that 30 seconds. Seriously, if anyone can't get these questions correct after a few tries, they probably need to take a time out and look over a few safety rules. What people are not talking about is what we get for that 30 second investment. The industry can now show people that we had to take a 'test" before flying in order to show that we knew the basic safety rules. This is a step that could help eliminate future, more obtrusive rules being placed against us.

This test is really aimed at someone who has never flown before and was given a drone. They think they can just unbox it and fly it into the air without even knowing that there are laws regulating their use. Think about how many thousands of people don't know you should not fly a drone right next to an airport, over a stadium or right over the heads of masses of people. There are no even any good warnings about this in the box with the drone (not that 1/2 the people would read them... which is why they are in the software).

People should actually _like_ that this is being done. Consider what else could been implemented against flying instead of this "test". I'm sorry but if you think this is a burden, perhaps you should move on to another hobby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet