DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Statue of Liberty with my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always one Drone Nanny around.
Seriously... This is probably one of the safest flights you can do in the NY/NJ area, and people are freaking out like I was being reckless.

Last edited:
Seriously... This is probably one of the safest flights you can do in the NY/NJ area, and people are freaking out like I was being reckless.

I didn't see anyone claim you were being reckless. I also didn't see any "freaking out" but perhaps your "freak out" interpretation threshold is lower than mine. This can also be a learning opportunity for those of us surrounded by these heliports.

What about the requirement to notify all airports, including heliports, within the 5 mile radius? Or, are you commercial?

The pin is Liberty Island.
FAA reference below for 112-95, with commentary regarding heliports.

3069f11ca0e9624c28e335e276329583.jpg

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

831650ab1e214e1ab560030587cf689d.jpg

Reactions: Snoweman
I didn't see anyone claim you were being reckless. I also didn't see any "freaking out" but perhaps your "freak out" interpretation threshold is lower than mine. This can also be a learning opportunity for those of us surrounded by these heliports.

What about the requirement to notify all airports, including heliports, within the 5 mile radius? Or, are you commercial?

The pin is Liberty Island.
FAA reference below for 112-95, with commentary regarding heliports.

3069f11ca0e9624c28e335e276329583.jpg

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

831650ab1e214e1ab560030587cf689d.jpg
Maybe freak out was too strong of a word, but I'm talking about the people who are suggesting I could be fined or go to jail, lol.

I'm a commercial flyer, so I only have to stay within Class G airspace, or obtain ATC permission in Class B, C, D or E.

Maybe freak out was too strong of a word, but I'm talking about the people who are suggesting I could be fined or go to jail, lol.

I'm a commercial flyer, so I only have to stay within Class G airspace, or obtain ATC permission in Class B, C, D or E.
I see you are referring to me and yes you could, especially if you crashed into the statue of liberty and if you crashed and your drone hit someone. There is a guy in Seattle facing jail time because he hurt someone with his drone, you don't think you wouldn't? I'm not freaking out either, i'm just stating my opinion on your flight. Good video but with the potential to land you in hot water if things went wrong.

It appears that a commercial certification would be a hassle reducer. These heliports and mom-and-pop airfields are a ridiculous burden for us hobbyists. The people there don't even know what we are talking about when we call, or they just bark "FAA law bans all drones within 5 miles!" and hang up. This literally happened to me and it took a series of calls to sort it out and educate them. It's hardly worth the bother, so I just fly outside the circles now. What do you think? Are there cons to the commercial certification?

Reactions: omerk
I see you are referring to me and yes you could, especially if you crashed into the statue of liberty and if you crashed and your drone hit someone. There is a guy in Seattle facing jail time because he hurt someone with his drone, you don't think you wouldn't? I'm not freaking out either, i'm just stating my opinion on your flight. Good video but with the potential to land you in hot water if things went wrong.

You would get in trouble if you hurt someone with your drone regardless of where you are. This is not a highly populated area. Most videos people post on here of them flying around their neighborhoods pose more of a threat to people on the ground.

Reactions: Qoncussion
You would get in trouble if you hurt someone with your drone regardless of where you are. This is not a highly populated area. Most videos people post on here of them flying around their neighborhoods pose more of a threat to people on the ground.
The statue of liberty is a huge tourist attraction and National Icon lol, lots people visit it, so I don't call it not a highly populated area.

It appears that a commercial certification would be a hassle reducer. These heliports and mom-and-pop airfields are a ridiculous burden for us hobbyists. The people there don't even know what we are talking about when we call, or they just bark "FAA law bans all drones within 5 miles!" and hang up. This literally happened to me and it took a series of calls to sort it out and educate them. It's hardly worth the bother, so I just fly outside the circles now. What do you think? Are there cons to the commercial certification?
Commercial is harder because you have to actually know what airspace you are in, which requires some learning about sectional charts, airspace classifications, etc. Also, keep in mind that if you are in other than Class G, you have to actually obtain permission from ATC (I think recreational only requires you to "notify" ATC).

The statue of liberty is a huge tourist attraction and National Icon lol, lots people visit it, so I don't call it not a highly populated area.
Not on a freezing cold day in February. Also, as I said, 95 percent of the flight was over water.

Commercial is harder because you have to actually know what airspace you are in, which requires some learning about sectional charts, airspace classifications, etc. Also, keep in mind that if you are in other than Class G, you have to actually obtain permission from ATC (I think recreational only requires you to "notify" ATC).

I think I may prefer that to the current situation. Here in Pennsylvania, if I'm not surrounded by heliports, then I'm in a state forest, state park, state game land, where the state has "banned" drones (never mind FAA airspace rules). It's not worded the same way as the national parks, and I don't want a ton of hassle. So, as a hobbyist, it's very tough out here.

Hey I'm new to these forums and I think it was a pretty bad a$s video. Flying these things is always a gamble no matter where you fly. They are electronic devices that do fail. So cudos for a great flight, you stayed in the air, you kept it safe, and you got some awesome video.
And hell let's be honest if you ain't breaking rules you ain't living right!;)

Reactions: kodiak1120
I see you took off from Liberty State Park .

It is a National Park. It is not a NFZ. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked all of the sectional charts. It's Class G airspace up to 700 AGL. The rules for National Parks are only that you cannot take off or land from within. You can fly over because the National Park Service does not have jurisdiction over the airspace.
You sir have done your home work Thumbswayup 100% nice video

Cool! I had no idea the statue was on an island.

Did you use the POI mode for some of the filming?

Cool! I had no idea the statue was on an island.

Did you use the POI mode for some of the filming?
Thanks. No POI mode. I've actually never used POI mode, and I didn't want my first time to be when I'm flying 300' out over the water. I did all the shots manually. It was hard because I was very nervous ;)

Reactions: Kai Mele
Nice Video, I have flown in that area before myself its pretty spectacular! The Drone police are sadly the reason I never post my vids for fear of wading through 500 comments on what I'm doing wrong - these folks clearly never break any rules and must be the perfect citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_