DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Theoretical question

In everyone's opinion, would it be possible to deploy a mavic pro from a moving helicopter? To keep it tactically feasible, lets say 100 feet above ground and 50 knots airspeed.

Can this imaginary heli pilot fly inverted?

No pilot in his right mind will EVER EVER let you drop a drone from his helicopter for fear of it getting caught up in the rotors above. Yes, I know, there is a downwash but the's always a chance something could happen as you launch. The pilot might have to drop suddenly because of a no lift situation or whatever.
If any pilot says yes, I would report him.
You don't like the idea of people doing this, got it. But this isn't a "do you like the idea question, it's a "can it be done" - when the "will a plane on a treadmill be able to take off" thing was all the rage, did you complain that pilots wouldn't do that, and nobody makes a big enough treadmill?
Besides, this could very well be legal, not everybody is beholden to the FAA. I am right now, but normally I'm under CASA or CAA rules. Should people from sweden be coming in here saying "you can't do that, so don't ask" on every thread just because they're not allowed to fly anything with a camera attached?

I don't think it'd be too hard finding a pilot who would do this, a lot of pilots are out there on big farms/ranches and get up to all sorts of flying that isn't near other traffic, or eyesight of anyone who would report it.

You keep talking about the tail rotor, if it goes near the tail of a coanda effect bird it'll bounce off the can, they don't have a tail rotor as such, neither does one with a coaxial rotor setup.

Reactions: Dw911
You don't like the idea of people doing this, got it. But this isn't a "do you like the idea question, it's a "can it be done" - when the "will a plane on a treadmill be able to take off" thing was all the rage, did you complain that pilots wouldn't do that, and nobody makes a big enough treadmill?
Besides, this could very well be legal, not everybody is beholden to the FAA. I am right now, but normally I'm under CASA or CAA rules. Should people from sweden be coming in here saying "you can't do that, so don't ask" on every thread just because they're not allowed to fly anything with a camera attached?

I don't think it'd be too hard finding a pilot who would do this, a lot of pilots are out there on big farms/ranches and get up to all sorts of flying that isn't near other traffic, or eyesight of anyone who would report it.

You keep talking about the tail rotor, if it goes near the tail of a coanda effect bird it'll bounce off the can, they don't have a tail rotor as such, neither does one with a coaxial rotor setup.
Again, out of sheer common sense, no pilot will allow it.
Discussion over!

Wanna think harder or really impress me? Launch a Mavic out of a helicopter (because the shut down and restart vid blew my mind alone) and then fly it back into the helicopter. LOL Now that would be impressive. Maybe fly around the heli and take some vids and pics.

But all arguments, theories and legal talk aside, I'd like to know what the purpose would be? Just to say "I did this"? I mean a very successful swarm deploy was recently done by the military out of a jet and knowing the military, it wasn't to see if they could just because. Would there be a legitimate reason to launch a Mavic from a helicopter?

I am always interested in the unknown and I'm glad explorers still exist but I am also certainly not condoning anything that could endanger the lives of people or animals or break any laws. My beginning statement is as hypothetical as they come and meant as a joke of course.

The Mavic is my first technologically advanced drone. Me flying 400ft AGL is incredible enough for me.

And to think people laughed at the Wright brothers.......... look at us now guys.

Sure... I'm sure the FAA will not realize it is a drone if there is a sensor attached to... a drone. As I said, it _can_ be done.

Given the risk of the drone not recovering from a 0-50mph wind and the fact that it's illegal, I think we are just talking about a hypothetical situation at this point.
Totally agree. Please tell Strafe1 it's just plain silly to even think if it!
Or should I say " plane" silly? Lol!

This post is about as silly as they come.
Hypothetically speaking, yes it could be possibly done, realistically, no.
Why even come up with such a crazy thought anyway?
All it will do is to put crazy ideas into new pilots. (And old ones)!
It's just like asking what are the chances of palm trees growing in the middle of Broadway in New York in Winter?
Cone on now, what would you do? Lol!

No pilot in his right mind will EVER EVER let you drop a drone from his helicopter for fear of it getting caught up in the rotors above. Yes, I know, there is a downwash but the's always a chance something could happen as you launch. The pilot might have to drop suddenly because of a no lift situation or whatever.
If any pilot says yes, I would report him.
You should probably start reporting H60 pilots then for allowing seals to do things like this. Smart @$$. Go ahead and go squeal to the mods I said @$$

This post is about as silly as they come.
Hypothetically speaking, yes it could be possibly done, realistically, no.
Why even come up with such a crazy thought anyway?
All it will do is to put crazy ideas into new pilots. (And old ones)!
It's just like asking what are the chances of palm trees growing in the middle of Broadway in New York in Winter?
Cone on now, what would you do? Lol!
I hope I see you in person one day lol :)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yongyong