DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

These PolarPro filters make all the difference.

Hi Guys, i am new to MavicPilots and to the drone world.

However, i have been looking at lenses for my Mavic Pro and am not sure which to get?

Heard polarpro are good but am not understanding the difference between the cinema filters or the norm? Also, do not want to get Polarpro lenses until i have good feedback or done sufficient research.

Which are the best to go for and also allows the mavic to setup with the lens on?

Hi Guys, i am new to MavicPilots and to the drone world.

However, i have been looking at lenses for my Mavic Pro and am not sure which to get?

Heard polarpro are good but am not understanding the difference between the cinema filters or the norm? Also, do not want to get Polarpro lenses until i have good feedback or done sufficient research.

Which are the best to go for and also allows the mavic to setup with the lens on?

The only difference is glass coating - which should reduce lense flare on the Cinema series. I have not tired the Pro series, but I can attest to a huge reduction in lense flare with the Cinema series over no filter.

Reactions: MajesticDronez
The only difference is glass coating - which should reduce lense flare on the Cinema series. I have not tired the Pro series, but I can attest to a huge reduction in lense flare with the Cinema series over no filter.

Brilliant, therefore would you say polarpro are the best lenses to go for? or are there better on the market?

Brilliant, therefore would you say polarpro are the best lenses to go for? or are there better on the market?

I haven't tried any others so I wouldn't want to steer you one way or another. All I can say is that I'm very happy with the PP filters.

Is it just me or is the video really dark? That's the reason I don't like them.

You need to adjust the camera settings. The video will be as dark as you make it.

Reactions: CC Rider
In this case would you recommend cinema or standard?

Depends whether reduction of lense flares is worth the extra cost to you. Some people actually like lense flares. If you want them reduced by about 95%, I'd go with the Cinema series. If it doesn't matter to you, just save the money and go with the Pros.

Reactions: MajesticDronez
Depends whether reduction of lense flares is worth the extra cost to you. Some people actually like lense flares. If you want them reduced by about 95%, I'd go with the Cinema series. If it doesn't matter to you, just save the money and go with the Pros.

Thanks a ton for your input.. guess i would go with the pro and not cinema..

Reactions: AyeYo
Fair enough, but the reports I'd read was that they're very flimsy.

I keep putting the Polar Pro in my basket but at $100 ish to send to the UK I just can't justify the cost.

I am from the uk too.. heard there is free worldwide shipping at the moment through their site directly

A question that may sound dumb... But does the polarized filters really make a difference if you work it in post-prod anyway like on premiere...?

I ordered the official ND filters from dji but wonder if the polarized filters are just to win some time or truly to enhance quality...

Dude, i think you captured a UFO. it first shows up at .35 seconds into the video. Notice how it travels and disappears and re-appears... :)

UFO.png

Onother drone hovering..

No, I really can't say I'd call them flimsy at all. They are small and lightweight, so as to not add unnecessary weight to the camera, motor, and gimbal, that's all. Something I, personally, think is best for my Mavic in the long-term, specifically for it's camera and gimbal assembly's longevity.

I have pretty big hands and fingers, and I'm not the most delicate guy when it comes to my touch, but I haven't had any problems mounting them, removing them, or possibly even breaking them, either. They work just fine for me. Like I say, PolarPro is a great line to use and I use them on the Typhoon H I fly. I just like the idea of using the lightest possible ND filter I can, for the reasons I stated above. It just makes sense to me, I guess.

For anyone interested in knowing my experience, I own both the DJI 3ND FIlter set and the PolarPro Cinema Series 6-Filter Set. Let's talk about the weight, the DJI ND set are almost nonexistent so very light, but the Cinema PolarPro's are also Extremely light and not much difference from the DJI. I have seen gimbal errors with other 3rd party filters but never with my cinema series. As for construction quality of the DJI ND set, I'm sorry to those who disagree, but they're flimsy. A lens popped out of my ND8 just gently un-clipping from Gimbal (I was able to pop it back in but what the heck?). I've also heard of multiple people breaking the delicate plastic tabs that hold them in place. On the other hand, the Polar Pro cinema series are just way better made with HQ materials/Glass (aircraft grade aluminum or whatever) and seem like they'd be tough to damage and come with a nice storage case (Thanks DJI for including a piece of foam to store your filters in).

As for the quality of video, The DJI ND filters do what they're supposed to and are adequate for adjusting the Fstops associated with 4 (almost useless IMHO), 8 and 16. But (again IMHO), the Polar Pro cinema series look light years better both before and most importantly after post for color correction. I've flown repeated way points in various conditions comparing the DJI ND's with the corresponding Polarpro ND and CP filters and Polar Pro get mostly subjective (but some objectively) better results in all situations. And how about the option of using polarizers for certain filming preference which can make the colors "POP" and look way more vivid than the Neutral filters or reduce glare off water/snow (Plenty of Youtubes out there show this, just Google it). OH, and how about having a ND32 for super bright sun or mid-day filming. Also, The Polar Pro's Cinema filters sleeve completely surrounds the Mavic lens vs. the DJI ND set does not and may let light through the sides between the tabs to permeate between the Mavic Lens and filter. Anyway, I'm no expert but have used all of them and have a clear preference for the quality and variety of the PolarPros. I believe it's worth the extra $$$ and would have not bought the DJI if I could go back. I only bought the DJI set because all the initial 3rd party filters were having trouble with gimbal initialization and overload errors, etc in Dec/Jan, but PolarPro at least now asserts all filters are redesigned to avoid this and work fully with the Mavic gimbal.

I'm sure others obviously feel differently and DJI Nd set OK for them, but I never use mine anymore and would happily sell them at cost.

JC

For anyone interested in knowing my experience, I own both the DJI 3ND FIlter set and the PolarPro Cinema Series 6-Filter Set. Let's talk about the weight, the DJI ND set are almost nonexistent so very light, but the Cinema PolarPro's are also Extremely light and not much difference from the DJI. I have seen gimbal errors with other 3rd party filters but never with my cinema series. As for construction quality of the DJI ND set, I'm sorry to those who disagree, but they're flimsy. A lens popped out of my ND8 just gently un-clipping from Gimbal (I was able to pop it back in but what the heck?). I've also heard of multiple people breaking the delicate plastic tabs that hold them in place. On the other hand, the Polar Pro cinema series are just way better made with HQ materials/Glass (aircraft grade aluminum or whatever) and seem like they'd be tough to damage and come with a nice storage case (Thanks DJI for including a piece of foam to store your filters in).

As for the quality of video, The DJI ND filters do what they're supposed to and are adequate for adjusting the Fstops associated with 4 (almost useless IMHO), 8 and 16. But (again IMHO), the Polar Pro cinema series look light years better both before and most importantly after post for color correction. I've flown repeated way points in various conditions comparing the DJI ND's with the corresponding Polarpro ND and CP filters and Polar Pro get mostly subjective (but some objectively) better results in all situations. And how about the option of using polarizers for certain filming preference which can make the colors "POP" and look way more vivid than the Neutral filters or reduce glare off water/snow (Plenty of Youtubes out there show this, just Google it). OH, and how about having a ND32 for super bright sun or mid-day filming. Also, The Polar Pro's Cinema filters sleeve completely surrounds the Mavic lens vs. the DJI ND set does not and may let light through the sides between the tabs to permeate between the Mavic Lens and filter. Anyway, I'm no expert but have used all of them and have a clear preference for the quality and variety of the PolarPros. I believe it's worth the extra $$$ and would have not bought the DJI if I could go back. I only bought the DJI set because all the initial 3rd party filters were having trouble with gimbal initialization and overload errors, etc in Dec/Jan, but PolarPro at least now asserts all filters are redesigned to avoid this and work fully with the Mavic gimbal.

I'm sure others obviously feel differently and DJI Nd set OK for them, but I never use mine anymore and would happily sell them at cost.

JC

Yep, the PolarPro Cinema Series are a fine line of ND filters, no mistake about that, and a bargain for what they offer, too. Unlike PP's Pro filter pack - at least to my understanding - they are fully camera and gimbal compliant. Some folks report having to mount The Pro line of filters after the Mavic has initialized in order to mount those filters, which are not startup complaint. My first third-party Mavic filters - from a company called Neewer - gave me immediate motor overload messages and gimbal warnings. But I misplaced the receipt and couldn't return them, so I had to eat them.

Safe flying and happy filming and photo taking. Would love to see some posts of what you capture sometime. Always eager to see another's territory, subjects, techniques and approaches.

IMG_2876.JPG View attachment 8463 View attachment 8462 View attachment 8462 I was one of the first to get the DJI Filters. I was disappointed and I have to say they were junk. One snapped first use, another lense popped out when gently taking it out of the foam holder. DJI did take GREAT care of me. They did not seem surprised by my experience and they kind of hinted they are working on another design. Next I went with the Taco MC's. Wow, what a difference. So well made, work perfect and I could not be happier with my videos. If it were me I'd stick with Taco or Polar Pros without question.

JC

Can you leave the polar Pro filters on all the time even when you startup the drone?

OK, so I followed the video instructions. I see now why I was getting gimbal errors every time. Filter was not all the way on. Mine don't slid all the way on to cover the seal that the video mentions. Anyone else have that problem. Also, my filters look different. I was one of the first people to get them when they were out. Did they revise the design??? Took me almost an hour to get the filter off. I have Polar Pro filters I use on my Phantom 3 and 4. Works awesome. Just wondering if their initial release was too small???
IMG_0098.JPG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_