DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is the dumbest!

I'm sure there were folks on the beach a Kittyhawk who saw no advantage to with the Wright brothers were doing 117 years ago...
Yes, advancement in technology is always a plus! Using a drone to deliver life saving drugs quickly to a patient makes a lot of sense. Using drones in The Villages for prescription delivery on a regular basis makes very little sense economically. With all the pharmacies available that already offer store to door delivery for free, where is the advantage of drone delivery? Delivery by golf cart can be used to deliver a much larger payload than a drone can carry thus making multiple deliveries in one outing.

I agree that drones have a place in the business world. I just don’t see store to door delivery being necessary or profitable.

Reactions: bassnbeau
I can see using a drone to deliver emergency scripts to a patient where a friend or relative could take delivery from the drone and give it to the patient.
Speaking as a physician - not even then. If the situation is so dire as to need a specific prescription medication ASAP, better off to just call an ambulance and go to the ER than to wait for delivery by drone. If someone is having chest pain, they should call 911 or get to a hospital as quickly as possible - they shouldn't call CVS and wait to have a vial of nitroglycerin delivered.

Also, I don't see this happening for delivery of DEA scheduled drugs such as opioids and other narcotics.

One thing to remember, this was a trial project to test the effectiveness of delivering prescriptions to a retirement community. As @Interpol mentioned, I don't see DEA scheduled drugs being eligible for unmanned delivery. In the event of a local or national disaster where the roadways have been disrupted, this could be useful. For the rest of the time, it would be more efficient to use ground transportation for delivery.

More like a trial to see if the developer of The Villages can find another way to monetize something else. Like anything else the Uber Rich try and find even more ways to suck up the money.

Speaking as a physician - not even then. If the situation is so dire as to need a specific prescription medication ASAP, better off to just call an ambulance and go to the ER than to wait for delivery by drone. If someone is having chest pain, they should call 911 or get to a hospital as quickly as possible - they shouldn't call CVS and wait to have a vial of nitroglycerin delivered.

Also, I don't see this happening for delivery of DEA scheduled drugs such as opioids and other narcotics.
You want a drone delivering nitroglycerin?

Well. There goes another drone.

Nitroglycerin
Common brands: Rectiv, Nitrolingual, Nitro-Time

Overview​

Description​

Vasodilator
It can treat and prevent chest pain (angina) in its oral form. When used rectally, it can treat pain caused by tears in the skin around the opening for bowel movements (**** fissures).

Brands: Rectiv, Nitrolingual, Nitro-Time, Nitrostat, and GoNitro
Availability: Prescription needed
Pregnancy: Consult a doctor
Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur
Drug class: Nitrate

So yes, I think it would be safe to deliver nitroglycerin.

You want a drone delivering nitroglycerin?

Well. There goes another drone.
You do understand that nitroglycerin is a drug commonly used to treat heart attacks and angina, right? It's chemically inert and not explosive in its pharmaceutical form.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Pure nitroglycerine explodes on impact/contact, but a vial of Nitrostat will not explode if you drop it. You would need at least 3000 nitroglycerin tablets and a process to separate the chemical from the rest of the ingredients in the medication just to make a small blasting cap. There is no pharmacy in the world that restricts delivery of clinical-grade nitroglycerin due to chemical instability or concerns about explosion. So no, a drone carrying medical nitro does not have a higher risk of exploding than one that is carrying anything else.

Reactions: anotherlab
More like a trial to see if the developer of The Villages can find another way to monetize something else. Like anything else the Uber Rich try and find even more ways to suck up the money.
How would the developer be able to monetize this? It's a partnership between UPS and CVS.

How would the developer be able to monetize this? It's a partnership between UPS and CVS.
Just live in The Villages for a few years and you’ll understand. 3rd generation are money hungry wolves. I’ve owned here since 1997 and there is no end in site for the expansion. Build out was supposed to end 5 years ago.

Back to the topic at hand. This is side tracked enough.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15