DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This photo quality aint good enough, don't you think?

I don't think my expectations are too high. I just want to get photos that are as good as other people are getting from their mavic. I'm trying to understand if it's my machine or me. To me it looks like a compression issue.
I had the same problem with my phantom vision 2. A very similar problem with the stills. I replaced it and the new one worked so much better. So I'm trying to decide whether I need to do the same or is this just my technical skills. I'll take some more today.

No you are missing the point. Today in the real world it is a toy. No disrespect to dji but that is what it is. Your interpretation of my comment was inaccurate so you are kind of arguing with yourself here.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Your $2,500 toy car is impressive. Your $1300 drone is more so. We (I) can agree to disagree, but as you would respect a loaded gun or the flag of your nation, be careful how you use it.

I made some test shots in RAW and I think that quality of pictures very good for such size of camera.
I prefer to shoot in RAW to be able make any adjustments later what I want :)

Reactions: 4wd
Last edited:
Reactions: Andrejs
rabidhyena I think quality is good. Isn't it ? I think it is max what you can ask from such camera :) You should shot in RAW and play with colors later.
I will not compare Mavic camera with my DSLR Nikon D610 :D
Logger Nice shots Thumbswayup

WOW. When I entered this thread I was hoping to get feedback on what I consider to be a very be issue with the video performance as I am an Aerial cinematographer not and Aerial still photographer. I own many of these tools/toys and make a good living supporting the film industry. I was not looking for cinematic miracles from this little drone or even the same quality as my P4 or Inspire. As rabid hyena said so well, I am only trying to figure out why I can't seem to get similar quality to other users (not to mention DJI sample footage) The frame grabs (from video) that I posted were in my opinion inferior to even an older model Gopro, so I was looking for a little guidance.

WOW. When I entered this thread I was hoping to get feedback on what I consider to be a very be issue with the video performance as I am an Aerial cinematographer not and Aerial still photographer. I own many of these tools/toys and make a good living supporting the film industry. I was not looking for cinematic miracles from this little drone or even the same quality as my P4 or Inspire. As rabid hyena said so well, I am only trying to figure out why I can't seem to get similar quality to other users (not to mention DJI sample footage) The frame grabs (from video) that I posted were in my opinion inferior to even an older model Gopro, so I was looking for a little guidance.
In my opinion it is all about post production as well =) do you make any after ?

In my opinion it is all about post production as well =) do you make any after ?
You couldn't be more correct about the importance of post production. I spend a lot of time in DaVinci Resolve. If you are interested, here is a link to one of my Aerial reels. All shots were acquired using my P4 and Inspire 1. I was hoping to add Mavic footage to it as well as soon but I am RMAing mine today.
Aerial Reel on Vimeo

Reactions: AAPhoto and Andrejs
BTW none of the four images above or any of the 40 or so in the linked album are touched / pp in any way. Directly off the Mavic SD except for one which is a screen grab. They are not tack sharp like my DLSR but perfectly adequate for what I need. I am also shooting JPG+Raw so I do have the PP option. Just time poor ATM.

Reactions: Andrejs

The original post for this thread is about still photo quality, not video. Maybe you would have better luck making a post on your experience with video quality and asking for a little guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

are these ones more like I sh
are these ones more like I should expect?

mavicpilot zombizza3.jpg

I took the liberty of doing a very quick and dirty edit of your photo adjusting just highlights, shadows and contrast. As has been mentioned earlier, shooting on a dank misty cloud filled sky in the UK on a miserable December day is not going to give you the best landscape imagery. However, adjusting the camera settings and working with more than one image if you can, there are hundreds of ways to achieve a more vibrant look to any scene in post.
Edit: On reflection I did put a tiny amount of vibrancy on the image, not very much at all as it's easy to over saturate using that filter.

Last edited:
thanks for that, that is some nice editing. yes, i always edit my photos and can make something decent out of almost any shots.
i was just worrying about how they were coming out of the camera.
here is one from raw with some editing.
i feel for some reason the go app gives better results than the go 4 app. is this just my imagination?

Just need to convince myself the video is ok now and then I can go back to being happy

grrr, not sure whhy photobucket makes it look so awful

ok, yes imgur much better. i'm happy with my stills now
ccrjdne.jpg

Reactions: Rick
ok, yes imgur much better. i'm happy with my stills now
ccrjdne.jpg
Nothing wrong with that rabidhyena. I haven't flown much due to work constraints, the weather and short days, but if you have the time try taking some bracketed shots and see what you can do with them.

My wife told me that she didn't like how photos looks like from Mavic (like from phone). Of course she compare with my DSLR works I think.
So didn't know what to do with that now =)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbod