DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time to upgrade from .400? GPS restrictions finally came to me...

I too am on .400 since the box opened. I couldnt be happier with the reliability of the bird. I think im on 4.4.4 of the app. I have a dedicated phone so i never, ever connect it to wifi, else thats when dji gets u! If it aint broke, dont fix it!

A year ago I backed my firmware back to .400 because I was flying in a place with an authorization zone (small unmanned airstrip) that the DJI would not fly in. DJI map showed it as a red no-fly zone. If I go to the B4UFly app, it shows it as a yellow authorization zone.

Long story short, that's really the only reason I stayed with .400. I was in the same area in July, 2017 and also found .400 to let me fly just fine.

However, I just got back from a trip last week, and somehow my Mavic will no longer fly in a zone that it used to be able to fly in. When I look at the in Go4 App map it does note this area as no-fly and forces a landing. I'm not sure what map updates made their way to my drone/app combo but since I'm now locked out, no reasons to stay with .400 as far as I know.

Or are there?

I figure in a years time there have been many updates, and I might as well try them. The new Flight Modes more than anything would be nice.

However, I want to make sure there is no reason to stay with .400 before I move on?
Other than requiring that one-time login, which doesn't sound like a big deal, is there any other functionality freedom I will lose if I move to the current Mavic firmware?

Which version of the Go 4 app are you using? My winning combination is:

App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700
Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I never get bugged. For anything. Ever. That said, you have to hack the NFZ restrictions to fly in class C or B airspace, but you should be able to fly Class D without hacking. Ironically, where I live, we have a dedicated RC park 2 miles from a Class D/E airport. Funny.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Which version of the Go 4 app are you using? My winning combination is:

App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700
Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I never get bugged. For anything. Ever. That said, you have to hack the NFZ restrictions to fly in class C or B airspace, but you should be able to fly Class D without hacking. Ironically, where I live, we have a dedicated RC park 2 miles from a Class D/E airport. Funny.
I am also on app 4.0.8. Firmware is .400 as stated.

Not sure what the rest of my revisions are.

Sounds like I'm safe taking the App up to 4.4.4, but I'm not sure how/where you choose an older version than the current Apple Store release, or if it's worth it. Again, I'm not sure what features I may be missing. Only recurring bug is that gimbal one I mentioned, and every once in a blue moon the app crashes and I have to restart.

Mine is weird in terms of when I get hacked or not. When I'm in NFZ, it just doesn't take off. Which I'm fine with. I live near DC and I've occasionally been surprised by it, but it's the capital. It makes sense.

In other flights, particularly Authorization Zones, sometimes I get prompted to confirm I have permission with the pop up boxes, and other times it's just a warning notification on the screen. I haven't figured out the pattern of when that comes up or when it doesn't.

I am also on app 4.0.8. Firmware is .400 as stated.

.0700 has been a winning combination for me - the best of all worlds. But if .400 works for you, I would NOT update it.

Not sure what the rest of my revisions are.

Sounds like I'm safe taking the App up to 4.4.4,

I would NOT do that.

...but I'm not sure how/where you choose an older version than the current Apple Store release, or if it's worth it.

Here's why. And definitely worth it. Check out this poor chap. This, alone, is reason to not update.

Again, I'm not sure what features I may be missing.

You're missing the "you better log into DJI or we'll disable your bird - even if you're away from WiFi and cell service" feature.

Only recurring bug is that gimbal one I mentioned, and every once in a blue moon the app crashes and I have to restart.

Then I would update to .0700. 700 is rock solid. Zero issues.

Mine is weird in terms of when I get hacked or not. When I'm in NFZ, it just doesn't take off. Which I'm fine with. I live near DC and I've occasionally been surprised by it, but it's the capital. It makes sense.

I had a mapping job at the end of an airport runway. Even with all the permission in the world and blessings from the FAA and FSDO, without the hack, I could not have completed the job. And getting DJI to unlock the bird requires too much rigmarole and advance notice, and the window is too small. I just need to be able to fly my drone to make my living.

In other flights, particularly Authorization Zones, sometimes I get prompted to confirm I have permission with the pop up boxes, and other times it's just a warning notification on the screen.

Most of that will change if you go to the latest software update, which just may ground the bird - even in class D, which includes hospitals with helipads and a myriad of unexpected Class D zones.

I haven't figured out the pattern of when that comes up or when it doesn't.

I hear ya. The DJI algorithm is very dynamic...unless...you lock into a favorite FW and App version. Then behavior becomes predictable and quantifiable.

Good luck!

Here is a link to a few earlier versions of the Go4 app.

My favorite and most stable is 4.0.4...

dji go4 app 4.0.4 - Google Search

I've had good luck with 4.0.8. Here are the release notes from 4.0.8:

Added support for DJI Goggles.

Optimized gimbal self checking

------------------------------------

4.0.8 is the latest version you can have that does NOT require login to DJI and/or the annoying "tests" they deploy (which I have read about, but have never actually seen).

D

Here's why. And definitely worth it. Check out this poor chap. This, alone, is reason to not update.

As much as this madE me LOL, I'd hate to be that guy out on the field. I normally have to drive quite a bit to get to a decent flying spot and then that grounds me? NO WAY!

Thanks, @Donnie Frank. Appreciate the details.

Now, the interesting thing will be what happens when/if the Mavic 2.0 comes out. Because many of us will buy it...but before I sell the Mavic Pro I'm certainly going to see how restrictive the new bird is. As you pointed out, there are hospital and fire department heli pads just about everywhere. I'm not sure how big the zone is around those, but that'd put a lot of NFZs around for certain.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I have remained at DJI GO4 APP VERSION: 4.1.15 & MAVIC FW VERSION: 01.04.0000

I do not even know what the current versions are up to, or what all the changes are or have been...not even interested.

What I have works for me so I'm not going to mess with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs