DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To scared to fly

david clark

Reactions
Hi everyone just a few lines to ask the general forum. Firstly I bought my Mavic pro at the cost of around a grand brought it home went through all checks and watched a lot of u tube videos as a precondition. I then flew my drone about 15/20 times until a few weeks later I was showing my drone to a friend when it went loopy went into full powe and went to take off as luck ad it I still had my finger on top of drone (lucky for me) now after reading some of the horror stories from other pilots I am now to afraid to fly my pro for fear of losing my drone and my (1000)pound and watch it fly off in the distance.can anyone help with some advice please. The thing is I have been waiting to fly my drone for what seams like for ever and the mrs keeps going on about the money wasted as she looks at it and I can’t defend it (HELP)

Reactions: JimCanada
Do you have the flight log for the loopy flight as there is probably an explanation for what happened. Some folk on here are very good at interpreting them.

I would go somewhere nice and open and just fly. There is no reason to have your fingers anywhere near the rotors when they start up; switch the remote on, switch the drone on and set it down - move to a safe distance and once all satellites are locked and the rth location logged initiate auto takeoff.

Spend a few packs just doing some basic flying and get your confidence back.

There is no reason to have your fingers anywhere near the rotors when they start up; switch the remote on, switch the drone on and set it down
Threw me for a loop!

Did the drone take off on it own?

Was it windy?

and the mrs keeps going on about the money wasted as she looks at it and I can’t defend it (HELP)

Fair is fair. If you would like to restore peace in the house, go out with her and let her a buy a £300 hand bag. That might be enough to distract her about the drone, and then you can let it sit as long as you want. Works for me ;)

Callibrate compass and fly, make sure your away from any metal and take your watch off, do this and set her free.

Hi everyone just a few lines to ask the general forum. Firstly I bought my Mavic pro at the cost of around a grand brought it home went through all checks and watched a lot of u tube videos as a precondition. I then flew my drone about 15/20 times until a few weeks later I was showing my drone to a friend when it went loopy went into full powe and went to take off as luck ad it I still had my finger on top of drone (lucky for me) now after reading some of the horror stories from other pilots I am now to afraid to fly my pro for fear of losing my drone and my (1000)pound and watch it fly off in the distance.can anyone help with some advice please. The thing is I have been waiting to fly my drone for what seams like for ever and the mrs keeps going on about the money wasted as she looks at it and I can’t defend it (HELP)

See my post #38 in this thread:
Mavic went ROGUE, and is gone

Go into your setting and make sure
RTH is set if loss of signal.!
And RTH height higher then obsticals by you home base (Tree's .building.)

Make sure your battery is properly seated

Go fly . But lift off enough to set "home base"
if it looks like it is loosing control turn off the RC it will come back
Have faith
.....cR

Double/triple check all settings, make sure you calibrate compass in nice open field. Give yourself a confidence in how everything is set I.e. RTH height and all other features. Go out to open area as suggested and just practice and regain your confidence in yourself and machine.
Then start getting some nice pics or video. The wife will see you enjoying and producing something rather than a $1k toy.
I’m no photographer or videographer but managed to come up with some decent stuff off my P3S. She saw that I had a new passion and really enjoyed. So much that she bought me a Mavic Pro for Christmas.

I’ve also found that all of my mishaps have always happened when around friends or being distracted.

Get back on the horse.

Mike

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
If you're concerned with the loss of the investment, I recommend a good insurance policy (not DJI care). Here in the US, State Farm will cover your $1000 drone for approx $30-60/yr which includes loss or theft.

Reactions: JimP Florida
By all means, get back on the horse.

When I lost my Mavic 2 Zoom (due to pilot error - the AC did exactly what it was supposed to), I bought a Mavic Pro the very next day for half the price of the M2 Zoom - and the thrill is back.

I had "Crashadroneaphobia" for a while, and forced myself to fly more and get comfortable. Repetition is the key. That and obsessing over RTH and other settings to make sure "Worst Case" brings your drone home.

I had "Crashadroneaphobia" for a while, and forced myself to fly more and get comfortable. Repetition is the key. That and obsessing over RTH and other settings to make sure "Worst Case" brings your drone home.
Me too, Rusty.......
I went to an empty football stadium, got up on the fifty yard line in the bleachers and just practiced and practiced. Zero danger to Anything. Good sessions. Melted the ice in my veins too......

I feel your discomfort. I lost my Mavic 2 zoom a few weeks ago. It lost connection and I had to watch it hover out over the ocean hopeless to do anything with 28 minutes left on the battery. In my efforts to recoup, I've learned a few things:

1. Without the aircraft, DJI isn't helping me other than to offer a 30% discount on a new drone only, not controller. I suppose they think I could have dropped the drone into a boat and file a loss claim.
2. My Chase credit card contains insurance that whatever I purchase on the card is covered for LOSS for 90 days from purchase. I'm pursuing a claim on that policy
3. My fear of flying a new drone with a potentially faulty controller was met with, "send the controller in for warranty repair if you're worried". Not reassuring.

The experience isn't going to keep me from flying again. It has changed my mentality while flying, though. I still might file a purchase claim with the credit card company, and challenge the warranty they're NOT providing on the lost aircraft. The risk of what happened will always be there with anything electronic, I suppose, but it seems DJI is throwing their current customers out trying to protect themselves from fraud. Disappointing.

Reactions: kissmybrass
Maybe your favorite music can let you relax enough for the flight to flow smoothly, and a comfortable travel pillow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes