DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracker

rbhamilton

Reactions
I bought a cheap RF-V16 tracker on Ebay. I've used one before but my last one died when my Vision 2+ went for a swim.

s-l300.jpg

My problem is that when I put it on the the Mavic it seems to cause magnetic interference - at least that's what the Go app says. Where do you guys mount your trackers?!?!

If you put it on the nose you will get the same problem. I think there needs to be some sort of holder printed, that holds the RF-V16 on the side of the Mavic.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I used velcro to hold my tracker in exactly this spot but got magnetic interference. I wonder if this printed thing holds the RF-V16 far enough away from the quad to avoid the problem?

I did notice the side of the drone worked OK but by that time I'd used up all the "sticky" from my velcro and it just fell off. Thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any suggestions but I guess I can get some more velcro and do some experimenting.

Any other suggestions out there? Lots of people saying "Use a Tracker" but nobody posting any info on how to attach the tracker...

Reactions: ziceman
I have the same tracker; I just put it on top of the battery usine some Velcro over the battery indicator lights (the Velcro is transparent or translucent so one can still see the lights). Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes, Velcro is for sure an option but I hate to stick things on my Mavic. I much prefer a holder of some description.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I ordered some transparent Velcro from Amazon. 4 strips for $3.50 (Amazon.com: VELCRO Brand - Sticky Back - 3 1/2" x 3/4" Strips, 4 Sets - Clear). One strip for each of my 3 batteries and one spare for later.
Pro Tip: I used my Alexa to get around the "Add On Item" restriction.
Amazon sent the 4 strips in a gigantic box that could easily fit an encyclopedia (see below).
I put the clear strips right on top of the lights. You can easily see the lights through the velcro.
Power up the battery, pop on the tracker and away you go. I would rather have the tracker permanently attached to the quad but moving it from battery to battery is about the only way you are going to avoid magnetic interference other than perhaps gluing it to one of the sides - but that would get in the way of the folding arms.box.jpg battery1.jpg tracker.jpg

Today I was having GPS troubles. Lots of switching back and forth between GPS and ATTI mode. I don't think it was the tracker but I don't know for sure. I'll be trying with and without for a while and report back. Meanwhile maybe don't all rush out and buy an RF-16 on my say so. :)

I used velcro to attach mine to the side, just in front of the SD card door. Have to remove it obviously to fold the legs up, but the velcro piece doesn't prevent them from folding, and I get no interference errors with this location.

I use superlock velcro, it clicks in and locks, instead of hook and loop, with my Marco Polo, that I've been using for 5 years, which I prefer over GPS/Cellular, in that it doesn't rely on cellular service, and also its stays quiet, not putting out any signal until its pinged from the base remote. It has not given me any interference problems on any aircraft.

Reactions: rightstuffed
The trick to mount the tracker, switch it on, then calibrate the compass in open field with no other interference. Result is a perfect calibrated compass

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I ordered a holder for my tracker and it finally arrived. Getting the tracker away from the Mavic's body seems to have solved all the GPS and compass interference issues I was having. No issues so far on flight performance. I also put my FAA # and return information on a laser etched dog tag and glued it to the bottom of the tracker. So at a minimum I should be able to get the tracker back in the event of a fly-away! :)

holder.jpg

RF-V16 Tracker Holder for DJI Mavic Pro | eBay

Reactions: Fausto
I ordered a holder for my tracker and it finally arrived. Getting the tracker away from the Mavic's body seems to have solved all the GPS and compass interference issues I was having. No issues so far on flight performance. I also put my FAA # and return information on a laser etched dog tag and glued it to the bottom of the tracker. So at a minimum I should be able to get the tracker back in the event of a fly-away! :)

View attachment 9014

RF-V16 Tracker Holder for DJI Mavic Pro | eBay

Seems like an obscene amount of moment arm to me. Not to mention increased thrust impingement. To be sure the MP is a bit nose heavy - but not that much. I'd mount it to the battery.

Seems like an obscene amount of moment arm to me. Not to mention increased thrust impingement. To be sure the MP is a bit nose heavy - but not that much. I'd mount it to the battery.

You might mount it to the battery. Once. That would be an excellent way to test the tracker because it could easily result in the loss of your drone.

I mounted mine to the battery (see my first few posts above about clear velcro). The quad flew just fine for a few minutes then abruptly dropped all GPS signal and switched to ATTI. I tested this several times in different locations. Same result.

I suspect it happened when the tracker powered up to report it's location. Mine does that every 10 min by default although you can change it. I was lucky because the quad was only a few hundred feet away. But not being used to ATTI flight I was lucky to get it back home safe and sound. If it had been a mile away I would have been in huge trouble.

That's the whole reason I bought the holder. Get it away from the body of the quad.

rbhamilton - I never tried mine on the battery but I was also concerned about interference so mine is attached to a front extended landing gear leg. It's caused no problems so far in about 4 hours of flight, but I also have the position updates turned off so I can just query the rf-v16 via SMS if I need a position.

Reactions: DoubleDrive
I'm using this way with no problems. What I do first, is turn on Mavic, check for compass errors, then attach this RF-V16 and no issues at all. I have it set to send location every 30 seconds when I fly.

Attachments

• IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
rbhamilton - I never tried mine on the battery but I was also concerned about interference so mine is attached to a front extended landing gear leg. It's caused no problems so far in about 4 hours of flight, but I also have the position updates turned off so I can just query the rf-v16 via SMS if I need a position.

Good idea. I may just have to turn off the updates to be safe but for now it's working well with updates turned on while in the external holder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan