DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Translational lift - Anyone get it?

Former Member

Reactions
I was flying one of my old P4's today, and and noticed something I never had with a DJI product before. I was in P mode, I climbed vertically to 300', and when I slowly transitioned from a hover to forward flight, I noticed translational lift, slowly gaining a foot or two every few seconds as my speed increased. I have an extensive background in RC heli's, and a bunch of flights in Robinson full scale helos, and there I know translational lift is normal and desired. But I never had it happen with a drone before. Im going to recalibrate the sensors tonight, but it was strange and cool at the same time because it made me feel like I was flying a full scale helo.

Peace.

Rob
Thunderdrones

How's it going CP? I was gonna ask if you wanted to go flying but the weather has been so unpredictable. A few of us were going to fly today but this freaky Georgia weather ruined most of the day. Yesterday was supposed to be rainy but was nice and today was supposed to be nice but ended up being foggy.

It's been a nice day here. Albeit it was very humid. I'm anxious to give my new props a spin. I haven't had much of a chance to go flying recently.

Reactions: Former Member
I reckon the increase in speed is affecting the the barometric sensor in the mavic. The mavic uses a combination of GPS and the pressure sensor to control height. The mavic should stay at a controlled height and not rise up due to translational lift. Even if translational lift was a result of the climb in height the drone should auto correct and bring it back down.
I bet if you tried it at a lower enough height where it was relying on the downward height sensors, which are more accurate, then you'd probably find the drone will not rise up.
Give it a go and let me know

I reckon the increase in speed is affecting the the barometric sensor in the mavic. The mavic uses a combination of GPS and the pressure sensor to control height. The mavic should stay at a controlled height and not rise up due to translational lift. Even if translational lift was a result of the climb in height the drone should auto correct and bring it back down.
I bet if you tried it at a lower enough height where it was relying on the downward height sensors, which are more accurate, then you'd probably find the drone will not rise up.
Except he was flying a phantom 4. ;-)

Great answer, you're right. Im going to recalibrate and try it in the same spot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18