DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to Mexico next week

Flying Images

Reactions
I want to take my mavic with me. I read one article saying I could get taxed on it? Anyone else have a problem bringing it there?

Last edited:
I flew from Texas to Cancun, MX at the end of May 2017 on Spirit Airlines. I hand-carried the drone onto the flight and through customs. I had the battery in the drone along with 2 spares and all the accessories in a small camera bag. No one said anything to me about it, coming or going, at any airport or customs. I had it by my side, on my shoulder, in my lap, or at my feet for the entire trip, in it's bag. I flew in Mexico rather discretely - not "hiding" just not "flaunting" it. Some locals found it interesting and asked me a few questions. That was my only interaction with anyone regarding the drone the whole vacation. I saw several other people around in public places flying phantoms and 1 mavic.

If anyone at the airport or customs would have said anything, I'd just tell them I'm a photographer and it's my flying camera.

I don't think you'll have any problems. There are some no-fly zones near Cancun and on Isla Mujieras where the GO App preventing me from launching at all. I had to get into a canoe and paddle out to sea at one location to get out of the NFZ to launch and catch by hand - worked like a charm, but it was challenging to hand launch and catch while in a canoe bobbing 1/4 mile out in the ocean in the waves. Got some great footage though. Use a polarized lens. Beware of the wind over the ocean and near coast lines.

Have fun, good luck, and share the footage here when you return!

Reactions: VortexSpin
I had no issue with my P3A last year and I checked it in. I only had one battery and I carried it in a lipo bag.

As Tray said, the wind was brutal in Cancun and I really one got in two flights to shoot the hotel from the air - over the ocean. I did try a 3rd flight on the ocean, but as soon as she took off she panic'ed about a class D / E zone and instantly started plunging into the ocean. Luckily, I was right there.

I still do not agree with some of the restrictions - if I am 5 or 10' off of the water shooting the family and friends snorkling it should not force a landing. I understand if you reached some limit that caused problems, but we were at least 1/2 mile out to sea.

I had no issue with my P3A last year and I checked it in. I only had one battery and I carried it in a lipo bag.

As Tray said, the wind was brutal in Cancun and I really one got in two flights to shoot the hotel from the air - over the ocean. I did try a 3rd flight on the ocean, but as soon as she took off she panic'ed about a class D / E zone and instantly started plunging into the ocean. Luckily, I was right there.

I still do not agree with some of the restrictions - if I am 5 or 10' off of the water shooting the family and friends snorkling it should not force a landing. I understand if you reached some limit that caused problems, but we were at least 1/2 mile out to sea.

I am confused. DJI has restricted zones and if you fly into them the drone will land in the water?

Reactions: MavicPilot
I flew from Texas to Cancun, MX at the end of May 2017 on Spirit Airlines. I hand-carried the drone onto the flight and through customs. I had the battery in the drone along with 2 spares and all the accessories in a small camera bag. No one said anything to me about it, coming or going, at any airport or customs. I had it by my side, on my shoulder, in my lap, or at my feet for the entire trip, in it's bag. I flew in Mexico rather discretely - not "hiding" just not "flaunting" it. Some locals found it interesting and asked me a few questions. That was my only interaction with anyone regarding the drone the whole vacation. I saw several other people around in public places flying phantoms and 1 mavic.

If anyone at the airport or customs would have said anything, I'd just tell them I'm a photographer and it's my flying camera.

I don't think you'll have any problems. There are some no-fly zones near Cancun and on Isla Mujieras where the GO App preventing me from launching at all. I had to get into a canoe and paddle out to sea at one location to get out of the NFZ to launch and catch by hand - worked like a charm, but it was challenging to hand launch and catch while in a canoe bobbing 1/4 mile out in the ocean in the waves. Got some great footage though. Use a polarized lens. Beware of the wind over the ocean and near coast lines.

Have fun, good luck, and share the footage here when you return!

What lenses do you recommend, especially for Cancun. Also, any cool shots you can recommend specifically?

I am confused. DJI has restricted zones and if you fly into them the drone will land in the water?

It could have been user error, but I had been flying my Phantom (original) for many years and had just upgraded to the P3A before the trip. I had a bunch of local flights in fields, marshes, back yard, but I had never flown around an airport.

In any case, I think it was a Class E and it was definitely descending - I may have been able to keep it at the current Z axis, but I had pretty much just taken off and I was maybe 5-10' away and maybe the same in height. So, I chose to hand catch before it plumbed into the ocean.

It could have been user error, but I had been flying my Phantom (original) for many years and had just upgraded to the P3A before the trip. I had a bunch of local flights in fields, marshes, back yard, but I had never flown around an airport.

In any case, I think it was a Class E and it was definitely descending - I may have been able to keep it at the current Z axis, but I had pretty much just taken off and I was maybe 5-10' away and maybe the same in height. So, I chose to hand catch before it plumbed into the ocean.

I'm still confused. I have never owned a drone in my life, but I just purchased one off of this site the other day from somebody. Can you ELI5. I never knew there were actual restricted places that DJI prohibits.

And my back flared up. Wife called 911 because I couldn’t move. I had to stay home while my wife and son go to Mexico. Oh well I’m well medicated.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15