DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to take off.

Wind is what i think too, but the drone detects wind, so it should know to do a low battery rth. I've had missions when it did a low battery rth and came back with 40% battery. What other information do you need. Speed was 25mph. No hovering.
To be able to make any useful comment, I'd need to know the details of the waypoint flight, where each waypoint was, your starting point and the recorded flight data from when the controller was in contact.
It still might be tricky is a lot of the route was out of contact.

Reactions: shb
I didn't unbind it. I just bound a different rc to it, and DJI unbound it. So for the rest of my life, I'm gonna have to bind it everytime I change between controllers. That's stupid. I walked into a restaurant that I've been to before, and it automatically connects me to their wifi. Isn't that good?
You need to research the difference between binding and pairing. If you didn't unbind it, then you unpaired it. See above for the significance and how to correct it. It is still bound to the original controller, but you unpaired it, so now you need to repair it to use it again. Binding is different! Switching between controllers always requires repairing, not rebinding, unless you want to fly more than 5 times without repairing to the bound device.

I just made a flight near dusk.i was going to make a night flight, but this guy there was wearing what looked like a police uniform, so he spooked me, and I quit. A lot of guys in Cambodia like to dress like cops for some reason.
I'm copying today's 4k to my permanent storage. Shot around 99 gig today.

I just made a flight near dusk.i was going to make a night flight, but this guy there was wearing what looked like a police uniform, so he spooked me, and I quit. A lot of guys in Cambodia like to dress like cops for some reason.
I'm copying today's 4k to my permanent storage. Shot around 99 gig today.
Why would you get spooked by the police?

I did, and it said some stuff, but I didn't write it down. Guess I can do it again. I'm reading about in on the internet now.
if you use a phone for your monitor, take a screen capture. Quicker and more accurate/complete than writing it down.

Here's DJI's response to my email, the one I posted above. Note, they don't say a word about landing with 10% battery on a waypoint mission, which was they main reason I sent them the email. This is one reason I think they are stupid. And they're map loading response won't work because I've obviously already tried it.

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your quick response.

For drone can't take off, DJI Fly app must have reported an error message, is there any error code?

For map loading issue, please restart the remote control, connect to wifi/phone hotspot, then click the map and try to zoom in and out several times, at this time the remote control will automatically download the map details in the background, just wait for a while.

Looking forward to hearing from you. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Spenth

Why don't you tell me?
I've already very clearly explained the difference between binding and pairing to you multiple times (see posts #11, #18 and #22 in this thread) and my replies to your other threads on the same issue.

I've already very clearly explained the difference between binding and pairing to you multiple times (see posts #11, #18 and #22 in this thread) and my replies to your other threads on the same issue.
That's not a difference. Once you're flying, it's EXACTLY the same. The permanence is something stupid, that DJI created because they're stupid. If you are paired, do you have less range, more likely to disconnect, more likely to crash. No. It's just a artifical thing DJI made up for no reason. Maybe it gives DJI more information about how many controllers you have, for their marketing people.
And it's actually a bad thing, because if you have multiple controllers, and you're somewhere where there's no internet, you can only use some of your controllers five times.

Last edited:
That's not a difference. Once you're flying, it's EXACTLY the same. The permanence is something stupid, that DJI created because they're stupid. If you are paired, do you have less range, more likely to disconnect, more likely to crash. No. It's just a artifical thing DJI made up for no reason. Maybe it gives DJI more information about how many controllers you have, for their marketing people.
And it's actually a bad thing, because if you have multiple controllers, and you're somewhere where there's no internet, you can only use some of your controllers five times.
Whether you agree with it or not, you now fully understand it. It is for security to prevent found or stolen drones from being used with a different controller than the one to which they are bound, more than 5 times. It is also required for Fly Away coverage that you be flying with the bound controller.

Whether you agree with it or not, you now fully understand it. It is for security to prevent found or stolen drones from being used with a different controller than the one to which they are bound, more than 5 times. It is also required for Fly Away coverage that you be flying with the bound controller.
I lost a drone in Boracay, Philippines. Since I no longer have it, I could care less if someone found it and is flying it now. And I never reported it list to DJI. How many drones get stolen? I could see that would be somewhat useful to discourage thefts, but personally i would waive that if i could, because it's more trouble than it's worth. Yes, it's not hard to bind them, but i would rather i didn't have to all the time. But i see your point. But it's not a safety issue. That's my point.

I lost a drone in Boracay, Philippines. Since I no longer have it, I could care less if someone found it and is flying it now. And I never reported it list to DJI. How many drones get stolen? I could see that would be somewhat useful to discourage thefts, but personally i would waive that if i could, because it's more trouble than it's worth. Yes, it's not hard to bind them, but i would rather i didn't have to all the time. But i see your point. But it's not a safety issue. That's my point.
If you were to always use the same controller each time you fly the drone, as most do, you would never have to repair or rebind. The drone was already paired to the RC it shipped with from the factory. Changing that factory RC/drone pairing creates the issues you have encountered, but they are easily dealt with.

I'm not choosing side in this discussion, just weighing in on the facts and opinions. "Security to prevent found or stolen drones from being used..." how so? Do you have a link or a reference to where DJI is explaining this is the rationale? Flyaway I totally agree with.

Reactions: shb and GadgetGuy
I didn't unbind it. I just bound a different rc to it, and DJI unbound it. So for the rest of my life, I'm gonna have to bind it everytime I change between controllers. That's stupid. I walked into a restaurant that I've been to before, and it automatically connects me to their wifi. Isn't that good?
Consider what might happen if drones and controllers were automatically linked.

Here's one situation that you might not find desirable. After your drone went out of connection range, someone else near to it could switch on a controller and assume control.

As for that automatic wifi connection in a restaurant, that only happens after you've first selected the network name and entered a password to initially pair/bind your phone to that network.

Consider what might happen if drones and controllers were automatically linked.

Here's one situation that you might not find desirable. After your drone went out of connection range, someone else near to it could switch on a controller and assume control.

As for that automatic wifi connection in a restaurant, that only happens after you've first selected the network name and entered a password to initially pair/bind your phone to that network.
Again not taking sides but just responding. If I were DJI and a flight was started, that flight would contain a list of eligible controllers that could take over the flight provided there was one open slot available. Let's say I have 3 remotes in my bag and I'm flying my drone and I drop the remote in a swimming pool. I could pull out my other remote and take control of the flight because 1) there is one open slot available AND 2) all 3 of my remotes are listed as eligible (whereas all other remotes are blocked). This could be helpful should you have a team of 5 members and you wanted to "hand off" your drone over a known range or to fly in a dead spot, etc. This could be a setting.

As mentioned earlier, let's be precise when we talk about pairing and binding. If you have never entered a restaurant, your device has no pairing (and certainly cannot bind). Once you enter, accept, and connect than your device should establish a pairing and you can manually or automatically connect in future situations. Under no circumstances should you bind with a wi-fi network at a restaurant. Binding (in this context) is a DJI thing meant solely to tie together the controller and the drone for purposes of Flyaway insurance and to my knowledge, nothing else. The closest disaster I remember to this method is "sim-locking" where mobile phone carriers could lock a device to the carrier's network so you couldn't use the mobile on a different network but even the carriers had a method to unlock or "unbind" the device where it seems DJI cannot. I believe there are some devices that automatically connect to various wi-fi network because either the domain and credentials are similar or there is a list of some sort. I remember a certain cable company that would allow your mobile phone to automatically connect to numerous hotspots around teh city without you having to manually do anything but you could turn it off and stay into 4G. DJI will let you connect and re-connect automatically but "binding" is a DJI think that has to be done deliberately and manually. I could be wrong....

Reactions: shb
I'm not choosing side in this discussion, just weighing in on the facts and opinions. "Security to prevent found or stolen drones from being used..." how so? Do you have a link or a reference to where DJI is explaining this is the rationale? Flyaway I totally agree with.
Well, the net effect is certainly security, and there are several threads where people have privately bought resold drones that have become paperweights because whoever sold it to them didn't have access to the original bound RC to be able to unbind it. The binding establishes ownership, much like a pink slip to a car, that must be released to transfer ownership. Whether they were found drones, or stolen drones is unclear. If the seller never replies to their requests seeking help, he either died or was selling a "found" drone. There's a guy in China that will charge you $250 to unbind the drone, like a corrupt guy at the DMV who will "fix" your stolen title for you for a small fee!

Again not taking sides but just responding. If I were DJI and a flight was started, that flight would contain a list of eligible controllers that could take over the flight provided there was one open slot available. Let's say I have 3 remotes in my bag and I'm flying my drone and I drop the remote in a swimming pool. I could pull out my other remote and take control of the flight because 1) there is one open slot available AND 2) all 3 of my remotes are listed as eligible (whereas all other remotes are blocked). This could be helpful should you have a team of 5 members and you wanted to "hand off" your drone over a known range or to fly in a dead spot, etc. This could be a setting.

As mentioned earlier, let's be precise when we talk about pairing and binding. If you have never entered a restaurant, your device has no pairing (and certainly cannot bind). Once you enter, accept, and connect than your device should establish a pairing and you can manually or automatically connect in future situations. Under no circumstances should you bind with a wi-fi network at a restaurant. Binding (in this context) is a DJI thing meant solely to tie together the controller and the drone for purposes of Flyaway insurance and to my knowledge, nothing else. The closest disaster I remember to this method is "sim-locking" where mobile phone carriers could lock a device to the carrier's network so you couldn't use the mobile on a different network but even the carriers had a method to unlock or "unbind" the device where it seems DJI cannot. I believe there are some devices that automatically connect to various wi-fi network because either the domain and credentials are similar or there is a list of some sort. I remember a certain cable company that would allow your mobile phone to automatically connect to numerous hotspots around teh city without you having to manually do anything but you could turn it off and stay into 4G. DJI will let you connect and re-connect automatically but "binding" is a DJI think that has to be done deliberately and manually. I could be wrong....
DJI could certainly come up with a more elegant way of allowing an owner to use two different controllers, but that doesn’t make them "stupid" just because the OP voluntarily unpaired the initial controller, and now has created his own set of problems, where he needs to re-pair it with the original RC to use it again.

Reactions: MS Coast
Well, the net effect is certainly security, and there are several threads where people have privately bought resold drones that have become paperweights because whoever sold it to them didn't have access to the original bound RC to be able to unbind it. The binding establishes ownership, much like a pink slip to a car, that must be released to transfer ownership. Whether they were found drones, or stolen drones is unclear. If the seller never replies to their requests seeking help, he either died or was selling a "found" drone. There's a guy in China that will charge you $250 to unbind the drone, like a corrupt guy at the DMV who will "fix" your stolen title for you for a small fee!
Having a title on a vehicle does not disable the vehicle so it couldn't operate or drive on the road for those that don't have the title. That's where the "stupid" comes it. And I'm sure you know, just because you have a piece of paper called a title in your hand, doesn't always mean much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1