DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uncontrollable Spinning

hookalakupua

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

Received the Goggles today and was up and flying within 10 minutes. Tried them for 20 minutes with my wife spotting and no issue. Then went to the head tracking gimbal mode and let my 5 year old try them. After about a minute, I started to control the yaw for a few seconds and then all of a sudden the mavic starting spinning uncontrollably. It maintained its altitude but was spinning 360 degrees at a violent speed. This lasted for about a minute until I turned off the goggles. The moment I did that everything was fine.

Anyone have an idea as to what I did wrong to cause it?

Thanks

Any chance you selected the yaw mode instead of the gimbal tracking mode by accident? That touch pad can be sneaky at times!

Reactions: hookalakupua
Yes it sounds like it was in the yaw tracking mode and your 5 year old was controlling the yaw . If he turned his head it will keep turning until he turns his head the other way to counter the movement .

Hey Everyone,

Received the Goggles today and was up and flying within 10 minutes. Tried them for 20 minutes with my wife spotting and no issue. Then went to the head tracking gimbal mode and let my 5 year old try them. After about a minute, I started to control the yaw for a few seconds and then all of a sudden the mavic starting spinning uncontrollably. It maintained its altitude but was spinning 360 degrees at a violent speed. This lasted for about a minute until I turned off the goggles. The moment I did that everything was fine.

Anyone have an idea as to what I did wrong to cause it?

Thanks

Yes, I've had this happen. With me, it was when I chose to exit the mode that flys the direction you move your head (can't think of that mode name at the moment)

Luckily I was in a good place.. and just landed it

Any chance you selected the yaw mode instead of the gimbal tracking mode by accident? That touch pad can be sneaky at times!
Not only possible but probable! When he stopped moving his head, it kept spinning and that's what I can't quite figure out. Thanks

Reactions: rstrouts
Not only possible but probable! When he stopped moving his head, it kept spinning and that's what I can't quite figure out. Thanks

The Mavic will continue rotating until a head movement is made to stop it . This is so you don't have to turn your whole body to make the mavic do a complete 360 .

The Mavic will continue rotating until a head movement is made to stop it . This is so you don't have to turn your whole body to make the mavic do a complete 360 .
I could swear I asked him to look the other way but who knows. Thanks for the input as I'm going to assume this was the issue. If it happens again I'll definitely try this. Appreciate the input.

I could swear I asked him to look the other way but who knows. Thanks for the input as I'm going to assume this was the issue. If it happens again I'll definitely try this. Appreciate the input.

I could swear I tell my 4yo to pick up his toys, or finish his plate - but it seems to fall on deaf ears! I feel your pain, brother.

I could swear I tell my 4yo to pick up his toys, or finish his plate - but it seems to fall on deaf ears! I feel your pain, brother.
Darn Kids! Usually I'd say it's bad parenting but in this case lets blame the parasites!!! :D

Reactions: erkme73
From the "Goggles Bugs Noticed So Far" thread:

"When switching to Sport mode during flight and flight controlled by head movements, the drone continues forward flight but spins just like if you had the left stick slammed over to one side. I haven't found a way to make it stop other than powering down the goggles. The left stick has no control at that point. I think there may be a conflict between the head flight tracking and Sport mode. And it doesn't happen right away nor every time but when it does it gives off a pretty big pucker factor! The altitude stays the same but both sticks are dead."

That does a much better job of explaining my experience. Completely forgot mine was in Sport Mode. Now with 2 verified instances, maybe others will notice and a solution can be found.

Thanks everyone.

"When switching to Sport mode during flight and flight controlled by head movements, the drone continues forward flight but spins just like if you had the left stick slammed over to one side. I haven't found a way to make it stop other than powering down the goggles. The left stick has no control at that point. I think there may be a conflict between the head flight tracking and Sport mode. And it doesn't happen right away nor every time but when it does it gives off a pretty big pucker factor! The altitude stays the same but both sticks are dead."

That does a much better job of explaining my experience. Completely forgot mine was in Sport Mode. Now with 2 verified instances, maybe others will notice and a solution can be found.

Thanks everyone.

Yes... this is exactly what happened to me

I Received my goggles a few days ago and managed to take them for their first test flight today.
They definitely are pulling to the right in both head tracking flight mode for "Yaw" and gimbal mode. Both in sport and opti mode. Just slower in opti mode. That stopped me from getting dizzy. I tried resetting Compass in the drone and calibrated IMU in the goggles AND recalibrated camera gimbal. Worked well for 1 flight and on the second, round n round I went! Not fixed. Plus the Goggles froze and I lost signal less than 100m away mid flight until it reboot itself. Aaaand download feed was spuratic after checking cache video file. A 4 minute recorded video went for 53 seconds. All DJI go app updates are up to date. Not impressed at all DJI!

Thanks everyone.

I kind of thought something was strange. All the reviews I have watched mentioned that the head tracking Yaw was painfully slow yet yours was fast. Yep another bug that can be fatal. Luckily the most I have tried is gimbal mode, so your tip is a lifesaver.

Rob

I faced the same issue several days ago but thanks you your topic I understood what was wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403