DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update colour now awful

holdthefone

Reactions
After the latest pointless update the video colour is rubbish. Has anyone found the best settings. Right now charging batteries, can supply my camera settings when it's charged if it helps you. I think I'm on auto settings

Reactions: Ceejay
Sorry, I don't have a colour problem with 1000, I don't see any difference except exposure seems about a half f-stop brighter which is actually a good thing

Blueish tint and whites highly overexposed
Have you checked your white balance settings? This sounds like your exposure or white balance settings got changed after the upgrade. If it doesn't happen in photo mode, it's probably within just the video mode. You might have modified it to begin with and the update reset it to the default, which is bluer and more exposed than you're used to (or have compensated for in other settings).

On the left is original settings, on the right are how pictures and video look now. See how there is almost no detail in the white cinema building

Also, one other thing - did you also check the color profile that you were filming in? D-Log vs. Cinelike vs. Art vs. Truecolor vs. others, all have specific adjustments and will greatly affect the color "output" of your video/photos. Check it out here if you want a comparison:
(or 1,000 other videos on Youtube)

It's hard to say anything without knowing your specific settings prior to the upgrade and after. You'd also have to be certain that all settings were identical to compare equivalent shots. ISO, shutter speed, white balance, etc. - all need to be identical. Moreover, auto settings are not equivalent settings. Even a normal DSLR camera set to auto can change the "look" of a shot (and the internal settings), depending on the environmental circumstances. You can have everything set to "auto" and take two sequential shots, 30 seconds apart, and have them look entirely different. A different orientation, a cloud passing by, a reflection, etc. all can change the settings in the camera and the Mavic's camera is no different.

Settings on "auto" are asking the camera to adjust its internal settings to adapt to changing conditions (if it weren't, you could just place the camera on one group of settings for everything and they would always work, but that's not how things work). Therefore, any changes in environmental conditions (even momentary) require the camera to adjust its own settings to match what it "thinks" are appropriate settings. Most times, the camera does a fine job. Many times however, it has to make compromises or selects something it considers better than another. This is why professional photographers (or those wanting to do more than just point-and-shoot) never use anything but manual settings. The Mavic is no different.

So on "auto", the Mavic can select what it thinks are appropriate settings for the correct adjustments to adapt to a specific shot. It can do the same from moment to moment. Or firmware to firmware. I do not know if DJI actually adjusted the algorithm for its "auto" settings for the new firmware - though it's not noted in the release notes for the new version (New Mavic Pro Firmware Released (22/08/2017)), so I doubt it, but it's not impossible. Take it off auto and make the appropriate manual settings yourself. Then no algorithm will be making the decisions for you and you can film as you wish to see it.

I'm experiencing the same video overexposure on auto settings since the firmware upgrade. Have always used auto as it previously did a good job but looks like I'll need to go manual until / unless this is fixed.

Reactions: Ceejay
Thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to try your suggestions as the weather has non-stop rained since posting

Colour on the Mavic Videos after the latest update is C**p!,
DJI WHAT HAVE YOU DONE !!.
Comes the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't mend it", so why have you now broke it !!.
I think I'll roll back, this update is rubbish !!
CALL THIS AN IMPROVEMENT !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph