DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA Max Flight Altitude

UAS/Drone Recreational Regulatory Guidance for Municipalities and Law Enforcement Academy of Model Aeronautics

7. UAS/Drone Operations at/near Airports: AMA Remote Pilots may fly on airport property and at AMA clubs located on airport property where permission from airport authority has been granted. Remote pilots must not operate their UAS in the traffic pattern or published approach corridors used by manned aircraft. When within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft must provide the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport). Within 3 miles of an airport sUAS/drone altitudes are limited to 400 ft. AGL and when beyond 3 miles, altitudes may exceed 400 ft. AGL. FAA Authorized – Public Law 112-95 Sec. 336 (c) when following a community-based organizations (AMA) safety guidelines.

The most important rule, I believe, is to USE YOUR FREAKING BRAIN!
Would you walk 1500 meters away from a $1100 camera and leave it on a beach or in the woods and hope that you will find it later? If not, then why would you send your drone 1500 feet away? Use your brain people.

I do that and much more. 5,400 feet up and on other days 400 feet up and just under 3 miles away. Both are easily attainable and have been worry free for over two years with drone insurance.

Move to Canada. There are no height limits except near airports, for the most part.
I just went to the source document and noticed the date is June, 2016. I think there may be a change since then. That was based on the AMA limit of 400' in general, but which has changed to 400'AGL when within 3 miles of an airport.
Can anyone post links to what is the current document for this limit?
Fly safe.

I just went to the source document and noticed the date is June, 2016. I think there may be a change since then. That was based on the AMA limit of 400' in general, but which has changed to 400'AGL when within 3 miles of an airport.
Can anyone post links to what is the current document for this limit?
Fly safe.

For recreational there is only the AMA Safety Handbook, which has no altitude limit other than the 400 ft within 3 miles of an airport. Which source document are you referring to?

For recreational there is only the AMA Safety Handbook, which has no altitude limit other than the 400 ft within 3 miles of an airport. Which source document are you referring to?
I was referring to the link above from HVYMTL to the "Fact Sheet for unmanned aircraft regs" which references the 107 community. It is too easy to pull up old info. I saw your earlier post on the issue and agree with you. I believe that the AMA handbook used to have a 400' limit, but has now been changed to only impose that limit within the three mile range.

So Is this DJI covering their own *** when adjusting altitude beyond what they themselves state as US local law or regulation?

I’ve yet to mess with flying higher than 400’. As always, best situational judgment should prevail.

View attachment 61513

This is DJI's way of ensuring they don't get sued for your mistakes. They informed you in black & white, therefore they are no longer responsible for how you control something manufactured by them... IMHO...

This is DJI's way of ensuring they don't get sued for your mistakes. They informed you in black & white, therefore they are no longer responsible for how you control something manufactured by them... IMHO...

FAA as well? As per back of registration card they send back to you...

I was referring to the link above from HVYMTL to the "Fact Sheet for unmanned aircraft regs" which references the 107 community. It is too easy to pull up old info. I saw your earlier post on the issue and agree with you. I believe that the AMA handbook used to have a 400' limit, but has now been changed to only impose that limit within the three mile range.

I wasn't aware that the AMA ever had a general 400 ft limit. That seems unlikely given some of the types of aircraft and flights involved.

You can still fly drone in USA ? Wonder how long that will last.

And the horse staggers.

Bad

Just about to stay down .:)

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4