DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used MP w/ sticky gimbal

IgobyDerek

Reactions
1st of all, hello everyone. New here and new to drones so ya, uber-newb alert. I know how to use the search function so I won't be "that guy" and post 100 threads that have been beat to death.

So I just purchased a used mavic pro on ebay and am just trying to figure out what else I'm going to need to buy for this thing. I got a good deal on it so I'm OK with spending more to fix it. Here is what he says:

This mavic kit comes with:
The drone & controller
3 batteries & charger
Polarizer Filter
Metal Case

Problems:
This drone was great condition when I put it into storage about a year ago. However, the storage didn't seem to be good for it. There are now 3 problems that I could find.
1. The screws now have a layer of rust on them. This doesn't effect performance but cosmetically looks bad.
2. One of the 4 motors is a little stiff to turn. I did a test flight and it flies great, there would be no way of telling from the performance. However, after it's landed if you spin it by hand you can tell a difference from the other 3 motors. It's slightly more stiff. New motors are easy to switch out and it doesn't need it, but seemed like something I'd list in the description.
3. The gimbal sometimes sticks upon startup. I was able to just tap on it and it gets unstuck and performs fine. However, during my test flights it also got stuck while flying once. I was able to pan the camera up & down and it got unstuck. However, it makes this drone seem less reliable for professional work.
There are 3 things I think that could be causing the sticking with the gimbal: 1. The filter on it might be too big and is getting caught. 2. It needs a software update. 3. It might need a new gimbal which is about $150 on eBay.

All around this drone and camera still work. I took beautiful footage near my house this morning with it. I also have an Inspire and have gotten much better footage from this Mavic than my Inspire, mainly because it's more comfortable and easier to fly. However, I wouldn't recommend this as your sole drone for commercial work since the gimbal might not be reliable enough for shooting professional jobs.

Any ideas would be great. Thx in advance.

DC

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I wonder if the seller is a member here?

My 2 cents (and thats about what its worth):

1. Where theres smoke there s fire. Rust on the screws might mean it might have been in contact with salt water.
2. I wouldnt even mess with flying it with the old motor. Might need a new motor and arm.
3. Unless there is some adhesive holding the gimbal back, its not sticking, its seizing. Not sure why the owner didnt take the filter off to test it. Software update prob wont help. New gimbal is $150 for a generic gimbal plus installation.

The seller seems to be honest to a point, but if you do buy it, go into it with your eyes open, and know that it might very well cost $200 or more to get it reliable.

1st of all, hello everyone. New here and new to drones so ya, uber-newb alert. I know how to use the search function so I won't be "that guy" and post 100 threads that have been beat to death.

So I just purchased a used mavic pro on ebay and am just trying to figure out what else I'm going to need to buy for this thing. I got a good deal on it so I'm OK with spending more to fix it. Here is what he says:

This mavic kit comes with:
The drone & controller
3 batteries & charger
Polarizer Filter
Metal Case

Problems:
This drone was great condition when I put it into storage about a year ago. However, the storage didn't seem to be good for it. There are now 3 problems that I could find.
1. The screws now have a layer of rust on them. This doesn't effect performance but cosmetically looks bad.
2. One of the 4 motors is a little stiff to turn. I did a test flight and it flies great, there would be no way of telling from the performance. However, after it's landed if you spin it by hand you can tell a difference from the other 3 motors. It's slightly more stiff. New motors are easy to switch out and it doesn't need it, but seemed like something I'd list in the description.
3. The gimbal sometimes sticks upon startup. I was able to just tap on it and it gets unstuck and performs fine. However, during my test flights it also got stuck while flying once. I was able to pan the camera up & down and it got unstuck. However, it makes this drone seem less reliable for professional work.
There are 3 things I think that could be causing the sticking with the gimbal: 1. The filter on it might be too big and is getting caught. 2. It needs a software update. 3. It might need a new gimbal which is about $150 on eBay.

All around this drone and camera still work. I took beautiful footage near my house this morning with it. I also have an Inspire and have gotten much better footage from this Mavic than my Inspire, mainly because it's more comfortable and easier to fly. However, I wouldn't recommend this as your sole drone for commercial work since the gimbal might not be reliable enough for shooting professional jobs.

Any ideas would be great. Thx in advance.

DC

Welcome to the forum![emoji16]

I'm in WA state, I appreciate the responses. Other than the rust on the screws, is there anything else I can look at to inspect and come to the same conclusion? I'll be honest, I paid $450 for it plus shipping. I've been watching ebay for a while now and it seemed like a good deal after seeing how much the batteries are. Maybe I'm just a sucker?

I'm in WA state, I appreciate the responses. Other than the rust on the screws, is there anything else I can look at to inspect and come to the same conclusion? I'll be honest, I paid $450 for it plus shipping. I've been watching ebay for a while now and it seemed like a good deal after seeing how much the batteries are. Maybe I'm just a sucker?

Just a thought. Find out from the owner when he/she bought it and see if you can get copy of the receipt. It might still be possible to get Refresh on it? Anyone elses thoughts?

Least of all, I would get State Farm. It's available in Washington State. If it crashes, you will be covered and not lose everything.

DJI Care Refresh is "bound" to the Serial Number of the Mavic / Drone. So one could contact DJI to see if they can utilize the Care Refresh and just pay the fee for a replacement. A copy of the receipt would be a welcome addition if you can have the seller provide. You have 12 Months or One year whichever comes first :) from the date of purchase if the seller purchased DJI Care Refresh at the time of drone purchase.

I dont want you to experience buyers remorse so I wont mention all of the good deals that pop up in the Classified section here. Oh, darn I just mentioned it. :)

DJI Care Refresh is "bound" to the Serial Number of the Mavic / Drone. So one could contact DJI to see if they can utilize the Care Refresh and just pay the fee for a replacement. A copy of the receipt would be a welcome addition if you can have the seller provide. You have 12 Months or One year whichever comes first :) from the date of purchase if the seller purchased DJI Care Refresh at the time of drone purchase.

I dont want you to experience buyers remorse so I wont mention all of the good deals that pop up in the Classified section here. Oh, darn I just mentioned it. :)

I did troll a bit before pulling the trigger today.

Update: seller responded

I'm the original owner. I bought it off eBay the week it came out for sale. I believe I paid $1,800 for the package w batteries.
DJI won't cover it under it's refresh or warranty. However, their repair service isn't too expensive even without it.

Honestly, I don't think you'll need to do any repairs. I just listed all the problems in the description so I don't have to worry about any returns.
It still works well, I just don't trust it to always work for my commercial shoots.

It didn't get wet from salt water... However, It was flown over the ocean near waves... 30ft above the waves & there is a lot of salt water in the air.
The drone didn't look wet or anything when I put it away. However, months of it in storage with the small salt particles is what did the rust.
It's just a cosmetic issue

Just thought I'd post a follow up to this post. Received the MP last night from USPS and just finished flying through 2 batteries. As far as I can tell (1st time flying a drone) works great! Toodled around the neighborhood and didn't notice any strange behavior or noises. Went up 300' and held positions. Gotta say, this is a badass little drone. I need to figure out out to slow down my gimbal speed and yaw as it's a bit too fast. Off to the races!

Reactions: Former Member
Just thought I'd post a follow up to this post. Received the MP last night from USPS and just finished flying through 2 batteries. As far as I can tell (1st time flying a drone) works great! Toodled around the neighborhood and didn't notice any strange behavior or noises. Went up 300' and held positions. Gotta say, this is a badass little drone. I need to figure out out to slow down my gimbal speed and yaw as it's a bit too fast. Off to the races!

Did you get Refresh or State Farm?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J