DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a drone in Hawaii

ScubaBob

Reactions
I am traveling to Hawaii (Kona and Kauai) in early June. Are there any special things I need to know about using my drone in Hawaii? I know that flying over active volcanos is not permitted as well as the regular stuff about airports but overall, are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Reactions: Cmeflydrone
It is a terrific place to fly. Mainly just make sure you aren't in a national park at takeoff (which is what restricts flying over the volcanos generally) or any other national site that has the same rules. Watch out for airports and military sites. Don't fly over people (be especially careful at beaches). If you are lucky enough to spot a whale from the air (I was not), don't get too close to it. I used Airmap on my last trip there and it served me well.

If you can, I highly recommend you make the trip to the Leilani Estates area if you want to fly near areas impacted by last year's eruption. The main thing to remember in Hawaii is be respectful of the locals and their land. Don't walk on the new lava in the neighborhood itself. There are people's homes under that lava and it is considered disrespectful to cross those properties. It doesn't mean there won't be people out on the new flows, but I'd recommend avoiding them. Fly over them instead! [emoji4]

Have a great trip!

Reactions: FLPilotshark
Do yourself and your skin a favor and wear a hat and sunscreen. You will thank me on the last day of your vacation here. Best rule for flying drones...ANYWHERE? Don't be stupid.

Do yourself and your skin a favor and wear a hat and sunscreen. You will thank me on the last day of your vacation here. Best rule for flying drones...ANYWHERE? Don't be stupid.
thanks. Coming from Mexico I am accustomed to prior clothing and skin protection from the sun although as a scuba diver I am fairly tanned most of the time.

It is a terrific place to fly. Mainly just make sure you aren't in a national park at takeoff (which is what restricts flying over the volcanos generally) or any other national site that has the same rules. Watch out for airports and military sites. Don't fly over people (be especially careful at beaches). If you are lucky enough to spot a whale from the air (I was not), don't get too close to it. I used Airmap on my last trip there and it served me well.

If you can, I highly recommend you make the trip to the Leilani Estates area if you want to fly near areas impacted by last year's eruption. The main thing to remember in Hawaii is be respectful of the locals and their land. Don't walk on the new lava in the neighborhood itself. There are people's homes under that lava and it is considered disrespectful to cross those properties. It doesn't mean there won't be people out on the new flows, but I'd recommend avoiding them. Fly over them instead! [emoji4]

Have a great trip!
Thanks very much. Seems pretty normal. Use your brain, VLOS, etc.

The State parks have NO Drones posted. Just be aware of all signage.
I flew all over Maui with no issues. Been flying every day for the last few months taking in all the beautiful scenery.
Have a great trip [emoji106]

The State parks have NO Drones posted. Just be aware of all signage.
I flew all over Maui with no issues. Been flying every day for the last few months taking in all the beautiful scenery.
Have a great trip [emoji106]
Thanks a bunch. Very helpful.

I have lived here for 10 years and there is some spectacular costal areas to film up in North Kohala. Pololu Valley is a must! I was even able to obtain permission to fly within 1/4 mile of a rarely used airport (Upolu) on the North end of the island to film a big wave event. Here is a link to that video:

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have fun and be safe.

Just remember that anywhere you fly in Hawaii, there will be wind, especially at high altitudes.

Nice video of the rugged coastline, needs white balance correction as everything up to the 2:16 mark has a pronounced blue tinge. You can see the difference in white balance in the family group shop, the ground is no longer blueish!

I am traveling to Hawaii (Kona and Kauai) in early June. Are there any special things I need to know about using my drone in Hawaii? I know that flying over active volcanos is not permitted as well as the regular stuff about airports but overall, are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Not sure if this applies to you but might want to take a look at this - along with all the other great ideas that have been posted!!

Fly safe!!

Nice video of the rugged coastline, needs white balance correction as everything up to the 2:16 mark has a pronounced blue tinge. You can see the difference in white balance in the family group shop, the ground is no longer blueish!
Thanks Harro, I recognize and appreciate the feedback. I have learned some good photography lessons on this site since posting that video. Unfortunately I have not reloaded that video to YouTube after learning about white balance. It was still an epic flight as one of those monster waves actually splashed higher then my altitude (2:08).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu