DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vertical limit dji mavic pro 2

I think DJI put the hard limit of 500 M because the battery time used to get there and down again does not leave much for flying around, especially if high winds are encountered at that height.

The Mavic Pro will easily reach an altitude of 5,400 feet, loiter long enough to shoot some video, take pics and then easily return with battery power to spare.

Reactions: brett8883
The Mavic Pro will easily reach an altitude of 5,400 feet, loiter long enough to shoot some video, take pics and then easily return with battery power to spare.
Would be a good idea to edit that post and put " - so I'm told!" at the end ... ;)

Reactions: kilomikebravo
My neighbor - currently in jail for two felonies and awaiting his jury trial in April - took this photo.
I think it's about testosterone, emotional immaturity, and a sociopathic personality disorder.
When I asked him how high the drone was when he took this, he said, "Over 1,000 feet." His drone was NOT made by DJI.

You just described people that drive in the left lane constantly and refuse to move over to the right while driving 5 mph under the speed limit.

I did some research for ya and it’s true there’s no rule or law that says a hobbyist can’t fly over 400’ in the US. The entire law is 146 pages so including link and relevant info

Sec. 336 Special Rule for Model Aircraft
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
***(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;***
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis- tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).

Note #2. This means that the FAA can’t regulate the rules for model aircraft for non-commercial purposes, ie fly for hobby. Instead the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) will regulate them. I swear to you I thought they had a rule not to fly over 400’ but they don’t apparently. Still have a VLOS til though. AMA regulation info (see page 4)

Here's the paragraph from page 4 of the AMA regulations manual. The requirement to maintain a visual line of sight is mentioned in the first paragraph on this same page:

mavic_p4_AMA.png

I did some research for ya and it’s true there’s no rule or law that says a hobbyist can’t fly over 400’ in the US.

i am not sure what is it you mean.
Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

third paragraph:

You can fly during daylight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) or in twilight with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. Maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

so, what is the a bit of the loophole is the fact that aviation modeling clubs got a section 336 exception for model aircraft and due to the language used a lot of drone owners somehow imagined that it applies to them too. while in the practical reality drones are covered specifically by the part 107 and anybody who wants to try to argue about it with a judge in a court of law - be my guest. i think it is wiser to pay attention to what is written in the part 107 and comply.

Last edited:
I think Brett8883 is distinguishing between the 107 regs that do prohibit flying about 400 feet and "hobbyist" regs that apparently do not.

Reactions: brett8883
I think Brett8883 is distinguishing between the 107 regs that do prohibit flying about 400 feet and "hobbyist" regs that apparently do not.

there is no such thing that is 'hobbyist' regs. there is a part 107. it is same as to argue that there is a different speed limit on the road if you are an uber driver only or if you drive your car for recreational reasons.

anyway, my only point is this - anybody who thinks that part 107 does not apply to him - feel free to argue it in court. i would love to hear of the outcome.
to save time - here is the link to it:
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

what folks do not seem to grasp - there are subparts B and C in there. regulation of how to fly are in the B. it does not care if you do it for profit or leisure.
certification is the subpart C and it states regulations for commercial operators certifications.

but, like i said, if there is anyone here who thinks he can treat the intent of the law better - feel free to correct me. as judge will go along with the original intent, not the specific verbiage. also, i would say, even 3 years ago i would not be so definitive of what i say, but, in 2019 all those matters are pretty much settled.
FAA regulations do have quite an imprecise verbiage in some places but a common interpretation of this verbiage now has pretty much solidified. i would not try to attempt any reinterpretation of it.
also, i think the section 336 will be shut down soon enough anyway.

and, a practical outcome of it all - if you are serious enough, you like to fly, you think it is for you - get your part 107 cert done, it is doable and will protect your interests. you have done it for your car - do it for your model aircraft. it is that simple.

Last edited:
The Visual Line of Sight regulation would clinch it - even if the altitude regulation did not
(from the Code of Federal Regulations):

mavic_vlos.png

i am not sure what is it you mean.
Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

third paragraph:

You can fly during daylight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) or in twilight with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. Maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

so, what is the a bit of the loophole is the fact that aviation modeling clubs got a section 336 exception for model aircraft and due to the language used a lot of drone owners somehow imagined that it applies to them too. while in the practical reality drones are covered specifically by the part 107 and anybody who wants to try to argue about it with a judge in a court of law - be my guest. i think it is wiser to pay attention to what is written in the part 107 and comply.

You are missunderstanding the difference between between 107 regulations that no doubt prohibit flight above 400’ for “commercial” (meaning the purpose of the drone flight is in some way meant to financially benefit the pilot even if the benefit isn’t directly tied to the drone flight) and the 336 regulations related to flying a drone as a hobby for personal pleasure.

Remember when you register your drone with the FAA you had to choose between these two options. I’m not saying it makes sense but it is what it is.

It is exactly like your Uber driver example! Maybe not Uber per se but you can get a regular drivers license or a commercial drivers license. A commercial driver has to undergo additional training and adhere to stricter rules on the same road. That’s a great example and I’ll have to use it in the future. THANK YOU!

I think your confusion is common even among law enforcement. I live near a national Forrest in Utah and one day I was flying my drone and a Federal Marshall stopped me and told me to stop because I needed a permit to fly on FS property. I politely showed him my 336 registration as well as the forest service’s website regarding the matter Tips for Responsible Hobby or Recreational Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or "Drones" on National Forest Systems Lands | US Forest Service
And let him know that because I was flying for recreation and not a commercial purpose that I had different federal requirements I had follow. And needed no permit to fly anywhere not designated a NFZ by the FAA or within 5 miles of an airport. I also politely let him know what the FAA is the federal agency that regulates airspace in the United States and that the FAA “owned” the airspace above a National Forest not the NFS as well as all other airspace in the US.

He radioed his superiors and after a few minutes let me know he had misunderstood and I could carry on. He also praised me for my polite attitude and said “it makes a difference.”

Last edited:
The Visual Line of Sight regulation would clinch it - even if the altitude regulation did not
(from the Code of Federal Regulations):

View attachment 63210
Again that is a part 107 rule non-applicable to 336 pilots. HOWEVER, the AMA DOES in FACT have the SAME rule so you are CORRECT in your conclusion but INNCORRECT in the reference material cited.

I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way I just want to make this point because I think things like this where the rules overlap is where some of the mass confusion comes from

Here's the paragraph from page 4 of the AMA regulations manual. The requirement to maintain a visual line of sight is mentioned in the first paragraph on this same page:

View attachment 63206

There you go great catch I can’t believe I missed that! So I think this is definitive, the AMA is specifically stating it’s ok to fly above 400’ even if near an airport as long as you have a mutually agreed upon procedure with operator of said airport. Now why would a storied national club who the government has effectively relinquished the power to regulate all recreational UAVs to tell its members it’s ok to fly above 400 feet if it was illegal?

Hey guy's I fly a drone, but also my private plane. If I collide with a drone, I am dead. It will rip a hole in the wing or bust out the windscreen. Either way I am dead. Let's all use common sense before the Fed has to step in.

Reactions: ff22
If I collide with a drone, I am dead.

Perhaps. But in both cases you cited, there's more than a good chance that you would be able to land. Please do not misunderstand me, I'm not arguing with the point of this thread. I'm merely stating my opinion that I believe the common notion of a drone hitting an aircraft in flight will bring down the larger aircraft, is a wee bit overstated. Light aircraft are struck by birds much larger than a Mavic or Phantom all the time and the aircraft and passengers are almost never lost. Aircraft manufacturers fire frozen chickens out of a cannon at windscreens when testing, too. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to have a midair with any drone in a light aircraft but, I wouldn't worry about it any more than a small bird.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
Just so that new (and relatively new) flyers such as myself are not misinformed, here is a copy directly from the "Recreational Flyers AND Modeler Community-Based Organizations page of FAA (Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations)

Step 2: Review the Rules
It is important to review the rules for flying your drone, prior to your first flight.

• Fly only for fun or recreation
  • Follow the safety guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization
  • Fly at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G)
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes and needed contacts or glasses (without binoculars), to ensure you can see your drone at all times.
  • Never fly near other aircraft.
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
  • Never fly near or over emergency response efforts.
Being new (and relatively new) at this hobby, as I am, and desire to fly both legally and safely, and who desire NOT to jeopardize the rights to this sport, it is not surprising that some are mis-characterized as "uninformed" by those "senior-members" who constantly make the claim that "this rule does not exist " for the recreational flyer.

Reactions: cdubNga
well, as i was a part 107 licensed for quite a while now i never bothered to look much at what section 336 was - but - from what i am seeing the section 336 is actually already no more - it was repealed under current regulations, same that demands now to have registration number on the exterior.
FAA Reauthorization Bill & What It Means For The Drone Industry Moving Forward

all that is quite interesting, and, just gets back to the same topic i already expressed - learn part 107 regulations and obey them and stop pretending that those rules do not apply to you.

Something completely different ... A group of Russians hve flown a UAV over Mt. Everest and claimed the world altitude record in doing so ...

Reactions: old man mavic
It can, much higher.

I fly in the mountains often too. Getting about 1460ft (500m) in California. Before anybody freaks out, I’m still only about 50-100 or so above the actual terrain. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc