DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vertical limit dji mavic pro 2

They're 1km short of the record. Not sure what their takeoff altitude was, but definitely higher than sea level.

Still a very cool flight.

Russian drone pilot pushes his tiny drone to 33,000ft

Good grief! ... Not only impressive altitude (10.2 Km above take-off), but the drone was flying in a temperature that got down to minus 48 degrees celcius (-54 deg' F). It must have been a day with zero wind at all altitudes, otherwise he would have been lucky to get the drone back!

Reactions: old man mavic
Good grief! ... Not only impressive altitude (10.2 Km above take-off), but the drone was flying in a temperature that got down to minus 48 degrees celcius (-54 deg' F). It must have been a day with zero wind at all altitudes, otherwise he would have been lucky to get the drone back!
yes that was some great flying and wonderful video of Everest

what a bunch of retards...

' i was thinking the hole would be bigger'. good grief! you do not need a ton of brains to run a 6S powered 5" racer into the sky...

Just so that new (and relatively new) flyers such as myself are not misinformed, here is a copy directly from the "Recreational Flyers AND Modeler Community-Based Organizations page of FAA (Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations)

Step 2: Review the Rules
It is important to review the rules for flying your drone, prior to your first flight.

• Fly only for fun or recreation
  • Follow the safety guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization
  • Fly at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled airspace (Class G)
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight, meaning you as the drone operator use your own eyes and needed contacts or glasses (without binoculars), to ensure you can see your drone at all times.
  • Never fly near other aircraft.
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
  • Never fly near or over emergency response efforts.
Being new (and relatively new) at this hobby, as I am, and desire to fly both legally and safely, and who desire NOT to jeopardize the rights to this sport, it is not surprising that some are mis-characterized as "uninformed" by those "senior-members" who constantly make the claim that "this rule does not exist " for the recreational flyer.

The FAA doesn’t have the authority to make or change laws no matter how much they’d like you to believe. They can make rules when the Congress authorizes them to do so. In the case of recreational fliers the congress specifically indicated that they CANNOT make any such rules.

Public Law 112–95 112th Congress

Sec. 336

a).... the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

I already went over this in my original post you quoted but didn’t seem to care to read:confused: so I have shortened it to only the bits relevant to your post and the full eording of the law is availible in the above section. It’s true that section 336 has been repealed but for the time being is still in effect

Reactions: Tsun
The FAA doesn’t have the authority to make or change laws no matter how much they’d like you to believe. They can make rules when the Congress authorizes them to do so. In the case of recreational fliers the congress specifically indicated that they CANNOT make any such rules.

Public Law 112–95 112th Congress

Sec. 336

a).... the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

I already went over this in my original post you quoted but didn’t seem to care to read:confused: so I have shortened it to only the bits relevant to your post and the full eording of the law is availible in the above section. It’s true that section 336 has been repealed but for the time being is still in effect
Hi, i posted about it above - is it true or not that the whole section 336 is no more? That it was repealed?

FAA Reauthorization Explained: Part 1, the Repeal of Section 336

What it was they signed into a law recently - that thing or something else?

New Law I have not thoroughly looked through this and there hasn’t been enough legal analysis made available for me to feel comfortable with saying the implications but from what my non-lawyer eyes tell me is that Congress has ordered the FAA to come up with a plan on how to regulate drones recreational and commercial. It says the FAA’s plan must take an “actual risk-reward” type approach to its plan. Currently the FAA has a “better be safe than sorry” approach. The law no longer has an exception for recreational pilots effectively an appeal of 336.

Until the FAA releases their new plan and it is approved nobody has any idea what the new rules will actually be and the old rules are will continue.
Hi, i posted about it above - is it true or not that the whole section 336 is no more? That it was repealed?

FAA Reauthorization Explained: Part 1, the Repeal of Section 336

What it was they signed into a law recently - that thing or something else?

I deleted and now reposting my original reply due to a formatting error and to include a better resource for the “new law.”

New Law FAA re-auth 2018
I have not thoroughly looked through this and there hasn’t been enough legal analysis made available for me to feel comfortable with saying the implications but from what my non-lawyer eyes tell me is that Congress has ordered the FAA to come up with a plan on how to regulate drones recreational and commercial. It says the FAA’s plan must take an “actual risk-reward” type approach to its plan. Currently the FAA has a “better be safe than sorry” approach. The law no longer has an exception for recreational pilots effectively an appeal of 336.

Until the FAA releases their new plan and it is approved nobody has any idea what the new rules will actually be and the old rules are will continue.

How would you go above 500m? My signal cuts out at 300m (using the mavic controller). I'm assuming you have some different controller?

For those trolling about legal vertical limit, do you know where he is? Do you know what conditions he's flying in? It's like going to a tech forum and asking a question about some kind of device. All of a sudden, everyone knows everything.

How would you go above 500m? My signal cuts out at 300m (using the mavic controller). I'm assuming you have some different controller?

For those trolling about legal vertical limit, do you know where he is? Do you know what conditions he's flying in? It's like going to a tech forum and asking a question about some kind of device. All of a sudden, everyone knows everything.

I have the stock controller and drone except the drones firmware has been edited for flight performance and override of altitude restriction. I have flown over 3 miles from the controller and have easily reached an altitude of 5,400 feet. You could have a number of variables affecting your birds performance. Interference, etc...

Mavic Air not an MP2, but the Air and M2 are built on similar architecture compared to previous DJI products...

Dude you're half way
If you can't do at least 2km or so then either you have huge levels of interference where you are or either your RC or aircraft is faulty.

Here is a video just after a signal loss 300m over my head. RTH had already kicked in. This is just after I got the signal back.

Here is the same aircraft, same flight @ 300m just before I went slightly higher and the signal dropped.

Last edited:
Dude you're half way
Here is a video just after a signal loss 300m over my head. RTH had already kicked in. This is just after I got the signal back.
Here is the same aircraft, same flight @ 300m just before I went slightly higher and the signal dropped.
It's quite common to lose signal if you go straight up about 300 metres.
Straight overhead is going to give you the worst antenna geometry and shorter range.

It's quite common to lose signal if you go straight up about 300 metres.
Straight overhead is going to give you the worst antenna geometry and shorter range.

What? I can go straight up overhead for over a mile and have no signal loss.

What? I can go straight up overhead for over a mile and have no signal loss.

Multiple variables involved. The radiation pattern from the antennas is the strongest at a right angle (perpendicular) to the long dimension and the weakest in the direction the tips of the antenna are pointing. People have described this as visualizing donuts on the antennas. Remember that the antennas in the drone are in the front legs of the Mavic so that when it is directly overhead and the controller antennas are pointing at the sky this is the weakest signal connection between them. As you move horizontally the signal gets stronger. Interestingly, if you point the antennas on the controller parallel to the ground when the drone is directly overhead you should get a stronger signal. Conversely, when the drone is far away horizontally, the optimum direction of the controller antennas is pointing at the sky. Please see page 46 of the manual for a pictorial representation.

Dude you're half way

In that video though you are in some metropolis(NYC?) with the most interference possible.

Multiple variables involved. The radiation pattern from the antennas is the strongest at a right angle (perpendicular) to the long dimension and the weakest in the direction the tips of the antenna are pointing. People have described this as visualizing donuts on the antennas. Remember that the antennas in the drone are in the front legs of the Mavic so that when it is directly overhead and the controller antennas are pointing at the sky this is the weakest signal connection between them. As you move horizontally the signal gets stronger. Interestingly, if you point the antennas on the controller parallel to the ground when the drone is directly overhead you should get a stronger signal. Conversely, when the drone is far away horizontally, the optimum direction of the controller antennas is pointing at the sky. Please see page 46 of the manual for a pictorial representation.

I have seen and read it but thanks anyway.

I have seen and read it but thanks anyway.

Hopefully you didn’t interpret my post to be derogatory. That was not my intent. I was agreeing with both of yours and meta4’s assertions. I mostly posted the info to help other newbies like myself.

Hopefully you didn’t interpret my post to be derogatory. That was not my intent. I was agreeing with both of yours and meta4’s assertions. I mostly posted the info to help other newbies like myself.
Good way to describe it @Camino Ken ... Another helpful way to visualise this, is to say that when two vertical antenna sets are horizontally apart, but at the same altitude (i.e. on the same plane), then they are like a 'line' looking at a 'line' ... However, when the two vertical antenna sets are vertically separated one above the other, then they are a 'point' looking at a 'point'. The more 'length' of the antenna that is 'across' (as opposed to in-line-with) the RF radiation, the better the signal reception will be.
[actually - I don't know if that is more helpful!! o_O ]

Good way to describe it @Camino Ken ... Another helpful way to visualise this, is to say that when two vertical antenna sets are horizontally apart, but at the same altitude (i.e. on the same plane), then they are like a 'line' looking at a 'line' ... However, when the two vertical antenna sets are vertically separated one above the other, then they are a 'point' looking at a 'point'. The more 'length' of the antenna that is 'across' (as opposed to in-line-with) the RF radiation, the better the signal reception will be.
[actually - I don't know if that is more helpful!! o_O ]

I like it. The more ways to help folks without antenna theory visualize the issue the better.

In that video though you are in some metropolis(NYC?) with the most interference possible.
I'm in Shenzhen China. I'm going to Guilin China tomorrow which is way out in the country. It'll be interesting to see the drone limits there in comparison.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian