DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software for noobs

NYCMAV

Reactions
So I own a mavic and I've already started to collect some great footage from NYC and trips down to Miami. The only problem is that I have a LOT of large individual files that need piecing together so they can be shared.

Whats a good piece of software to get my post-production feet wet? Would love something very simple that would enable me just to edit clips and reduce the overall file sizes (right now everything is in 4K and gigabytes in size).

Thanks!

NYC,

I am a complete amateur hobbyist. I feel it's very important to say that before I say anything else. I got into this aerial video drone stuff for fun only. I love flying and sharing my homemade videos with my family and friends mostly on YT. I'm trying to produce decent and somewhat unique video to share with them, I'm not trying to be a professional.

That being said, I've had to learn to do some basic editing and continue to try to learn more about it as I go along. I've gained a great deal of respect and admiration for the real "professionals" around here. The amount of expertise, talent and work that goes into "real" editing is a testament to the true artistry (and artists) in this profession.

From an amateurs perspective, I started with and still use Windows Movie Maker. It's free and it's relatively easy to produce the kind of videos that I described above. I don't shoot in 4K, the file sizes are very large and harder to work with than lower resolution stuff. I try to set my camera up for the least amount of editing possible and shoot most everything in 1080p.

I also use Cyberlink Power Director and Adobe Premiere Elements. They are both fairly low cost programs that are a bit better than Movie Maker but are a little more complicated to use. If i want to just put a quick video together, I use Movie Maker. If I want to try my hand at editing, some color correcting and to learn more, I use Power Director or Premiere Elements.

I've downloaded and tried to use DaVinci Resolve but find it to be way over my head and ability. There is a free version and they say it is simply amazing but it requires much more than I'm prepared to put into it for now.

I answered this question because I too was very frustrated when I first started doing this and I couldn't even comprehend what the many professional guys here were even talking about. If your goals are similar to what I described, my answer should be helpful. I hope it is.

Jerry

Jerry, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and recommendations - it is indeed daunting when starting out. I know how incredibly complex post production can become (pair that with my slight OCD and I feel like I may be opening a huge can of worms). I'ill definitely take a look at Movie maker. I do however use macs so will need to check whether its compatible with OSX (maybe theres a better native solution). Thanks again.

Reactions: Super Sloth
If you're looking for an OSX solution, for entry-level stuff likely worth having a look at Apple iMovie. I've used it in the past for basic videos and it worked ok.

On windows I've got Filmora ([OFFICIAL]Filmora Wondershare Video Editor(Win&Mac) | Download Video Editing Software) which I've used for some small non-mavic videos and seems ok (just got my mavic and waiting for the rain to go off, so I can actually fly it!)

for Windows, use free software like GoPro Studio. It's a decent editor from GoPro and you can get it from their website from a google search. For Mac, use the included software iMovie. More advance and better softwares that professional use and it's something that you should learn if you want to take your quality to the next level are Adobe Premiere Pro (Win/Mac) or Final Cut Pro X (Mac)

So I own a mavic and I've already started to collect some great footage from NYC and trips down to Miami. The only problem is that I have a LOT of large individual files that need piecing together so they can be shared.

Whats a good piece of software to get my post-production feet wet? Would love something very simple that would enable me just to edit clips and reduce the overall file sizes (right now everything is in 4K and gigabytes in size).

Thanks!
If your using a Mac or iPad, iMovie is free and a great stepping stone. Unlimited and very helpful video tutorials on YouTube also. Thumbs Way Up!!!