DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waiver Denied and What the FAA Requires for Approval

Norb_DAIS

Reactions
A couple of weeks ago, I submitted an operational waiver request to allow me to fly over people as I shot video for work here in Mountain View CA. I received their response this morning denying the request "because you did not describe interventions, for one or more hazards, to mitigate risk to an acceptable level. "

In the application, I wrote a short statement:
Operation over people (§107.39)
We may encounter a few instances where our flight path may be directly over people. We intend to minimize these instances by flying outside of non-crew personnel during the course of the operation, where it can be avoided

Apparently, that doesn't cut it, as they detail below:

"The FAA is unable to approve your request for a waiver to § 107.39 because the risk of injury to non participating or authorized human beings was not sufficiently addressed. Sufficiently addressing the risk of injury caused by an sUA when it impacts a human being includes— • The total amount of potential kinetic impact energy of the sUA; • A detailed list of how the sUA design affects the transfer of kinetic energy to a human being. For example— o Frangibility, energy absorption materials or design features; • The types of injuries caused by the sUA when it impacts a human being in normal and worst-case impact scenarios including—
o The severity of injuries caused in expected and unexpected failure scenarios;
o The likelihood of each type of injury caused when the sUA impacts a human being;
o The injuries caused by the rotating parts of the sUA; and • Operations limitations that are in place that may affect the safety of the operations..."

You can read the full document (attached below). There is a lot of work to do to get the data required, but if you have ever had this type of request approved, please share what you provided (if you can) to satisfy the requirements for the waiver. This was my first attempt and one of many learning opportunities as I move forward .

Attachments

• FAA Waiver Denial and Req Requirements.pdf
    203.3 KB · Views: 15
A couple of weeks ago, I submitted an operational waiver request to allow me to fly over people as I shot video for work here in Mountain View CA. I received their response this morning denying the request "because you did not describe interventions, for one or more hazards, to mitigate risk to an acceptable level. "
The FAA grants very few waivers to fly over people.

As of Sept 2018 : More than 2,000 FAA Part 107 Waivers Granted in Two Years | UAV Coach
In an analysis of 1,960 waivers granted to more than 1,800 operators in the past two years, the FAA has granted waivers to:
Fly at night (1,800 waivers)
Fly in certain airspace (97 waivers)
Operate multiple UAS at the same time (41 waivers)
Operate beyond other imposed operational limits of Part 107 such as speed, distance from clouds or flight visibility (28 waivers)
Fly beyond visual line of sight (23 waivers)
Conduct flights over people (13 waivers)
Fly without a visual observer (13 waivers)
Operate UAS from a moving vehicle (5 waivers)

This 1-year old article gives a lot of detail about waivers which have been granted to fly over people:
How to Request a Waiver for Flying Over People | Drone Pilot Ground School

What puzzles me is the issue of flying from a moving vehicle.
Why is that a thing?

Rent a hot air balloon to do it. Or get a helicopter to do it for you. Maybe a powered parachute.
any of those are way less of a risk than a drone in the FAA 's eyes. With a helicopter you can fly 40 feet above a crowd, and blow the hats off. I have seen a video of that done right on this forum.
I assume this job pays enough to cover the cost, otherwise it is not worth jumping through the hoops the FAA is asking.

The FAA grants very few waivers to fly over people.

As of Sept 2018 : More than 2,000 FAA Part 107 Waivers Granted in Two Years | UAV Coach
In an analysis of 1,960 waivers granted to more than 1,800 operators in the past two years, the FAA has granted waivers to:
Fly at night (1,800 waivers)
Fly in certain airspace (97 waivers)
Operate multiple UAS at the same time (41 waivers)
Operate beyond other imposed operational limits of Part 107 such as speed, distance from clouds or flight visibility (28 waivers)
Fly beyond visual line of sight (23 waivers)
Conduct flights over people (13 waivers)
Fly without a visual observer (13 waivers)
Operate UAS from a moving vehicle (5 waivers)

This 1-year old article gives a lot of detail about waivers which have been granted to fly over people:
How to Request a Waiver for Flying Over People | Drone Pilot Ground School

What puzzles me is the issue of flying from a moving vehicle.
Why is that a thing?
For moving vehicle - I shoot sailboat races from a power boat. Even anchored, with wind the boat moves but mostly I am moving from spot to spot along the course with the drone in the air.

For moving vehicle - I shoot sailboat races from a power boat. Even anchored, with wind the boat moves but mostly I am moving from spot to spot along the course with the drone in the air.
I know why you'd do it - I do it myself.
I just wonder why the FAA sees that as something requiring a waiver.