DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warnings About Regional and Burning Man Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarify please. Because I agree that violator's drones should be temporarily held until the pilot leaves the event you find me "unreasonable".
In any and all circumstances? Yes. absolutely.

Because I respect the rules they have implemented you find me unreasonable?
No.

I find your inflexibility and unwillingness to consider context unreasonable.
Ohhhh Thank God you are protected from my unreasonableness!
Sigh... was this necessary? Did it make you feel good?

For Flying your drone at flying man you can expect the following :
1.Your Drone ( Most likely your controller only ) will be confiscated and handed over to the authorities YOU gave them permission to do that when you purchased your ticket.
2. You will not go to jail but you will be trespassed from the area.
3. Security will hold you for the authorities.
4. you will not necessarily be arrested but a report will be made and this report will make its way to the F.A.A.
5. For breaking gosh knows how many regulations and doing it in front of so many people The good folks at the F.A.A. are gonna make sure to set an example with you. Have you seen what the fine is for just flying close to a Parade any day of the week YOURS will be tenfold. Not to mention any other fines they can think up and they think alot down there at the F.A.A.
Do you know what a Cheerson CX-10WD is?

In any case, I'm going to drop this here, and talk it over with one of the event organizers, who I know, as well as make an inquiry to the local PD. I'll report back what I find out.

Size is not the problem Its the disruption it causes. I could Take my Tello to the event and fly it around sure but if I get caught I face stiff penalties. The safety issue alone is too great, Air Ambulances operate all over the area not to mention Law enforcement. NO my Tello will not take down the Chopper, but simply being sighted and reported flying a drone holds up those operations. All the Helicopter pilots know is there is a drone around, They have no idea of the size so thats not the consideration.

Reactions: zen20009 and Torque
Do you know what a Cheerson CX-10WD is?

In any case, I'm going to drop this here, and talk it over with one of the event organizers, who I know, as well as make an inquiry to the local PD. I'll report back what I find out.
Perhaps you should start by actually reading the Burning Man website's Drone Rules. You want gray where it is clearly black and white. Looking forward to your research.
I find your inflexibility and unwillingness to consider context unreasonable.
Context: You entered into an implied contract that prohibits you from flying your drone UNLESS you meet the specific requirements clearly outlined. You were caught flying that drone. It was confiscated for a few days and returned to you. No fine, no forfeiture of drone.
Unreasonable as heck! Man, what a tyrant!

Could you point to a single post that advocates for breaking the rules? Where anyone has disagreed with the rules?
That would be all the examples of drone pilots flying unsafe at the BM event. I was referring to the eye witness accounts by the OP, or are you suggesting every drone operator that he has encountered have been following the rules?
What I'm arguing is what should happen when there's a violation. How should the rule be enforced? What should authorities do?
What I am arguing is that rules; and the consequences for breaking them, are not up for interpretation by just anyone (me or you). It's a private event. They can make the rules however they want. If you or me determine that those rules are too stiff, we can choose not to attend. But we are not lawyers or judges just because we want something.

If they (BM) make a rule that is too stiff, let the plaintiff take them to court over it, and let the courts decide if in fact it is too severe. There are procedures in place, and have been for a long time to deal with these types of things.

Ty, it couldn't be any clearer that you aren't even reading my posts.

I haven't addressed the rules themselves, other than to say I agree with them.

Ty, it couldn't be any clearer that you aren't even reading my posts.

I haven't addressed the rules themselves, other than to say I agree with them.
I have read your posts numerous times. I have read the OP's posts numerous times.
The fact is that we don't agree. That seems very hard for you to accept.
I'm sorry you can't take your cinewhoop to BM.

Reactions: zen20009
We captured 15 drones this year at AfrikaBurn alone, ranging from a Mavic 3 Pro to an assortment of 2's and minis. We do eventually give them back to the owners, but make it a colossal pain in the a$$ to teach them a lesson. A few argue with us, and I simply point out the nearby law enforcement officer, who lurks close by. Choice: we confiscate it, you eventually get it back, or face the local closed airspace, flight over large events, no commercial local license, no waiver and no insurance criminal violations. These charges will add up to many thousands in fines, many automatic, permanent loss of equipment and possible jail time. Depends on the local laws in that country.
Talking about Africa here. Seems reasonabe. Face legal fines or give us your drone until this event is over.
So the folks running without lights, we are particularly cruel to, we make them come back the day after the event ends. So they must leave the area and camp, or stay in a hotel far away and drive back. While it is a clever idea, the drone is silhouetted (there is a surprising amount of illumination from artsy installations or vigorously burning installations) and we track via vector from one of the burns, for example and then the folks in the camping area just wait for it to descend and turn its landing lights on. Must laugh, I came up to one hiding in a bunch of parked campers, between two. He was reaching up to hand capture. He grabbed it turned to leave to run face to face with me. I simply said , "well that's mine now." He was running without lights. He did start to protest, but the LEO came over and explained the two options, lots of money, some jail time in The West Cape Regional lockup in South Africa and being permanently Persona Non-Grata in South Africa, or hand it to the nice gentleman here and I saw nothing.
I think it is quite reasonable to offer violators this choice - face the legal consequences of that country's laws, or hand over the drone until the event is over.
In the burn in Israel, Midburn. Run a drone, they will find you, put you in jail under terrorist charges, and most likely use counter drone measures against it, effectively destroying it. They are slightly more serious than most. They have lots of practice.
Yes, I would imagine what is necessary in Israel may seem over the top to us here in the US. Their laws, I better abide by them or suffer the consequences.

"Well first off, let us be really clear here. Private event. We make the rules, reinforced by local regulations. If we say no drones, that means all, toys and actual drones. It is a public safety and personal privacy issue. No debate, no legal briefs submitted or arguments in court. I have not had to pull the trigger on LEO or just plain eject the offender from the event yet over drones. Don't laugh, we drop you on the road, you work out how to get home as an alternative to LEO. Private event, again. So far, I have only had to do that once in 12 years. Person used his truck to knock down art installations, impaired."
NOTE: "I have not had to pull the trigger on LEO or just plain eject the offender from the event yet over drones."
Seems very reasonable. I tried to find the offensive parts. I must have failed?
What did I miss MightyPilot2000?

Ty, it couldn't be any clearer that you aren't even reading my posts. I haven't addressed the rules themselves, other than to say I agree with them
MP, addressing what should happen when rules are broken is addressing the rules. It's also clear to me that perhaps your not reading my posts. . . .
What I am arguing is that rules; and the consequences for breaking them . . . .
What I'm arguing is what should happen when there's a violation.

When you say what should happen as quoted above, you are stating what the consequences of breaking the law should be which; is what I am talking about, just so we're on the same page here.

I find it odd that you say your all for following rules, while at the same time saying:
I fully expect to fly my CX-10WD, maybe be asked not to, and will be allowed to simply put it away and carry on with my fun at the event. We'll see
If you fully expect to fly your drone at the event, and always follow the rules, why would you not be allowed to fly and have to put your drone away?

• Haha
I fully expect to fly my CX-10WD, maybe be asked not to, and will be allowed to simply put it away and carry on with my fun at the event. We'll see.

For Flying your drone at flying man you can expect the following :
1.Your Drone ( Most likely your controller only ) will be confiscated and handed over to the authorities YOU gave them permission to do that when you purchased your ticket.
2. You will not go to jail but you will be trespassed from the area.
3. Security will hold you for the authorities.
4. you will not necessarily be arrested but a report will be made and this report will make its way to the F.A.A.
5. For breaking gosh knows how many regulations and doing it in front of so many people The good folks at the F.A.A. are gonna make sure to set an example with you. Have you seen what the fine is for just flying close to a Parade any day of the week YOURS will be tenfold. Not to mention any other fines they can think up and they think alot down there at the F.A.A.

This is getting absurd. These events are known for rampant drugs, theft, "grape" and assault, but let's get all draconian about toy 2" drones.

This is getting absurd. These events are known for rampant drugs, theft, "grape" and assault, but let's get all draconian about toy 2" drones.
LOL, I don't know...naked to semi naked inebrriated and stoned people wandering aimlessly around some art installations in the desert, mostly unaware due to said intoxicants, seems like the perfect place to ban askhats with drones, for the safety of the exposed flesh and the art.

Popcorn-eating-Emoji-Scared.jpg

Seriously, why would anyone want to go to one of these things? Grape? What the heck is that, never mind I don't want to know.

Reactions: Torque
I did see that. NOTHING about a TFR or UAS restrictions.
Why are you asking about TFRs? You are the only one who brought up TFRs. The OP didn't mention a TFR.
And a TFR is not required in this case - flying over crowds at concerts - illegal. Doesn't require a TFR - it is illegal to fly over a gathering of 30,000 people. Burning Man usually attracts 80,000 people so a TFR is not needed to restrict drone flights.
Burning Man's drone/UAS rules were posted here and easily found with a google search.

Reactions: Cafguy
Why are you asking about TFRs? You are the only one who brought up TFRs. The OP didn't mention a TFR.
And a TFR is not required in this case - flying over crowds at concerts - illegal. Doesn't require a TFR - it is illegal to fly over a gathering of 30,000 people. Burning Man usually attracts 80,000 people so a TFR is not needed to restrict drone flights.
Burning Man's drone/UAS rules were posted here and easily found with a google search.
It IS legal to fly on the periphery and stay on the outside. Not over people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne