DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water recovery, this will not work..

Dronebow

Reactions
I had purchased a Getter Back for the P3A and I've been trying to figure out a place to attach it on the Mavic. On the arms there is very little clearance between the arm and the spinning blade. So little that I don't trust the velcro. I decided to attach to the tabs on the bottom and this is not a good idea....

The sensor was picking up on "something" there and when I was in flight and descending I would get an announcement from the app that it was landing. At one point it was even dropping altitude by itself. I was hovering at 80' and by itself it came down to 60'. Once I took the Getter Back off it was absolutely normal. So.. this is not a good place to put this handy item. Any others successful with this?

BTW - the Taco ND filters are awesome!! Absolutely no jello issues and no washed out video or pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5133.JPG
    IMG_5133.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5134.JPG
    IMG_5134.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 171
I saw a video/pic where a guy attached two on the Mavic. On the bottom side of arms. One on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I fly over water all the time. I already lost a Phantom and now I have a Mavic. I bought two of the getter back devices and stared at my mavic for a long time to figure out the best place to attach them. I ended up using the little bracket on the bottom of the unit. It fits the strap for the GetterBack perfectly. It eliminates the chance of antenna interference from the arms and is very secure. Considering that if they are needed, it could be a violent crash. That bracket is secure and a great anchor to pull it up out of the water. I looked at attaching them to leg extensions but they could fall off during crash. Putting them on the arms could interfere with communication or just a slight movement could knock out a propeller. If this falls in the water, the redundant getterbacks would release away from the rotors and avoid being tangled up upon discharge. I had to buy a little bit more Velcro because unless you take a Velcro strap and secure the devices up and away from the sensor, you will have problems with the obstacle avoidance. I used the Velcro on the getterback to tightly wrap the devices over the top of the mavic and attaching on each device. It keeps them away from the sensor and is easy to remove. The only problem I had was if the Velcro isn't tight, the propellers could hit it. Other than that one risk, it seems like it is working fine. It hasn't affected my fight or performance.

Attachments

• IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5100.JPG
    IMG_5100.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5101.JPG
    IMG_5101.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5102.JPG
    IMG_5102.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
I fly over water all the time. I already lost a Phantom and now I have a Mavic. I bought two of the getter back devices and stared at my mavic for a long time to figure out the best place to attach them...
Looks like two missiles locked and loaded! :D That should get you some attention.

Thanks for sharing.

I hadn't thought about mounting them there. Guess my concern is the possibility of them not properly ejecting the floats if the Mavic landed right side up on the bottom of the body of water you fly over. Even worse if stuck in the mud.

I was planning on strapping mine underneath the front arms. They appear stable with little risk of getting fouled in the props, and I highly doubt they would interfere with radio reception.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The problem is they take up to 10 mins to activate and only do so when the mavic is well sunk. It's in my own opinion that I would much rather have my mavic float from the start for easy spotting (not waiting for 10 min to see where it pops up) and I would also think I would have a good chance of drying out and get it working again without even needing to send it in if it was floating on the surface for a few min vs. sunk at 5-100ft for 10 min.

Also the trust worthiness of these getter backs is so great that most people use more then one at a time for added safety if that says anything.

I don't think they are better then nothing but just focused on the wrong end of the spectrum. Focus more on not having it sink in the first place rather then getting it back after you let it sink to the bottom.

I totally agree, it would be best to spot a downed Mavic on the surface first.
Even with that it would probably still get wet.

I put 2 under my mavic, one under each front arm. I slide them towards the center until they touch the body, the front arm is a little thinner near the pivot joint and the velcro can hold on and keep the getterback from sliding down the front arm, i have flown many times this way and never had one come lose. I flew a lot in Aruba with 30mph winds over the ocean and never had a problem.

I put 2 under my mavic, one under each front arm. I slide them towards the center until they touch the body, the front arm is a little thinner near the pivot joint and the velcro can hold on and keep the getterback from sliding down the front arm, i have flown many times this way and never had one come lose. I flew a lot in Aruba with 30mph winds over the ocean and never had a problem.
This is exactly the way I mount mine. The narrow area at the hinge on the front arms secures them from sliding outward. As the air is always blowing them down, even if loose, I doubt they would come near the props. In this position regardless of how it hits the bottom, the cork should be able to eject. We'll all hope we never test that theory. At least for the first year DJI Refresh hopefully will have us covered. Thereafter I'll start exploring floats more seriously.

Last edited:
Note that the bottom "Tabs" do come off without too much effort. I had some covers on my tabs for a while and when trying to remove them, accidentally removed the entire tab instead of just the cover quite easily..

I don't think the "Tabs" will support the weight of pulling the Mavic out of the water if the Mavic is waterlogged, with the additional drag of the water when trying to get the Mavic up. I would suggest you test supporting the weight of the Mavic from the "Tabs" above your bed/sofa before you really need this in an emergency to recover your Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31