DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the negatives of being 107 certified?

Gnarls

Reactions
The more I go down this wormhole the more it seems like I am raising my hand before the FAA auditors and asking, "Pick me! Pick me!"

What makes you think that?
I suspect the way things work is nothing like you imagine.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The only “downer” I see is you lose the “I didn’t know” excuse if you’re planning to fly “outside“ of the FAA rules!

Remember something. a "107" pilot can still fly recreational, almost all do...myself included. I fly recreational "guidlines" WAAAYYY more than I fly under FAA "Rules". One thing off the top of my head...evening/night flight...recreational is no problem.....107, you need a waiver.

I enrolled in a 107 class to learn and possibly earn a few bucks.There is much to know. I have never been a person that goes about in the dark you only get one shot at this life why not absorb as much knowledge as possible and perhaps pass some on to younger folks.

Remember something. a "107" pilot can still fly recreational, almost all do...myself included. I fly recreational "guidlines" WAAAYYY more than I fly under FAA "Rules". One thing off the top of my head...evening/night flight...recreational is no problem.....107, you need a waiver.
Wait a second. I believe a certified 107 pilot fly at night recreationally? Wouldn't the 107 pilot only need the night waiver if he is (s)he is flying commercially?

Wait a second. I believe a certified 107 pilot fly at night recreationally? Wouldn't the 107 pilot only need the night waiver if he is (s)he is flying commercially?
Recreational UAS pilot can only fly outside daytime hours in G airspace, whereas, 107 pilot MUST have daylight waiver and then valid in other classes of airspace as well. No matter, extreme caution must prevail! Spotter is always recommended.

They aren't considered a 107 pilot during the time they choose to fly under recreational rules.

The night rules and you need to register every drone individually as a P107. Yes you could fly night recreationally but in controlled airspace might be a problem. On the plus side there are a lot of areas a 107 pilot can get access to that a recreational pilot can't. One example is 400 ft above structures. In Florida I am seeing rules in communities that say to fly a drone in the community (even if you live there) you must be licensed by the FAA.

The night rules and you need to register every drone individually as a P107. Yes you could fly night recreationally but in controlled airspace might be a problem. On the plus side there are a lot of areas a 107 pilot can get access to that a recreational pilot can't. One example is 400 ft above structures. In Florida I am seeing rules in communities that say to fly a drone in the community (even if you live there) you must be licensed by the FAA.
They probably mean registered with the FAA. I don't think the community has the right to make that requirement anyway. FAA controls that. FAA doesn't require registration for sub 250g UAS in G space.

You only need to register those drones that you intend to fly under P107 rules.

They probably mean registered with the FAA. I don't think the community has the right to make that requirement anyway. FAA controls that. FAA doesn't require registration for sub 250g UAS in G space.
They can control what takes off and lands on community property and they clearly indicate the pilot needs
to be licensed by the FAA. I'm surprised they don't require insurance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock