DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you use as a landing pad?

Cool, the old "moving the goalposts" fallacy.

I said "...sometimes humans make mistakes..."

You said "... provide evidence of someone getting hurt..."

I did.

Christ really, you're not the fastest in the class are you. There's no fallacy, it's basic pedagogical technique. If you couldn't see that coming then you definitely needed to be schooled, lol.

So again, now you've made it to the crux of the lesson, provide evidence of someone getting hurt that isn't human error (i.e. the entire point of this discussion, remember?)

So again, now you've made it to the crux of the lesson, provide evidence of someone getting hurt that isn't human error (i.e. the entire point of this discussion, remember?)
But all accidental injuries are the result of human error.

Accident avoidance isn't based on a strategy of dismissing those accidents traceable to human error (all of them). It's based on recognizing human failings, and seeking strategies for minimizing risk in spite of the inevitable human errors that will occasionally happen.

But all accidental injuries are the result of human error.

Accident avoidance isn't based on a strategy of dismissing those accidents traceable to human error (all of them). It's based on recognizing human failings, and seeking strategies for minimizing risk in spite of the inevitable human errors that will occasionally happen.
I completely agree (and with the others expressing similar thoughts in this thread).

To me, statistically the evidence is clear that the risks are very low and can be minimised further by competent piloting.

I don't worry at all about hand launching/hand landing any more than I do about crossing the road which also carries a similar level of unavoidable risk and risk that varies according to user competence.

I don't worry at all about hand launching/hand landing any more than I do about crossing the road which also carries a similar level of unavoidable risk and risk that varies according to user competence.
It most certainly is not "a similar level of unavoidable risk" as the risk of hand launch/land is usually easily avoided. There are times you have little choice but to cross the road. Rarely (though I acknowledge there can be cases) do you have little choice but to hand launch/land.

It most certainly is not "a similar level of unavoidable risk" as the risk of hand launch/land is usually easily avoided. There are times you have little choice but to cross the road. Rarely (though I acknowledge there can be cases) do you have little choice but to hand launch/land.
You misinterpreted my point. Each road crossing involves random bad-luck risk that you can't avoid. This is of the same order as similar risks when not using a landing pad. It's nothing to do with being able to avoid crossing the road or not.

In any case, even when there is a subway or a overhead bridge or other means to avoid crossing a road I don't bother because there's no point trying to avoid such a low level of risk. The same applies to hand launching. Using a landing pad is as ridiculous as walking 100 m down the street to find a safer crossing.

I'm not arguing whether hand launch/land is dangerous, or easier, or safer, or anything else in that vein. Just pointing out the obvious fallacy of your "similar level of unavoidable risk" claim. Clearly avoiding hand launch/land is easily done most of the time. You may prefer to not avoid it, but that's just preference, not due to its being "unavoidable".

Again, as I explained you're not understanding what I mean by "unavoidable". I'm talking about the unavoidable as opposed to the avoidable aspect of the risk of each happenstance of each act.

So you're talking about the unavoidable risk of an easily avoidable action. A fine, but rather useless, point.

So you're talking about the unavoidable risk of an easily avoidable action. A fine, but rather useless, point.
No, completely pertinent to the discussion if you bothered to read my posts especially 125. Risk is a basic mathematical product.

Anyway....

Back on topic please...,

What do you use as a landing pad?
Good idea Thomas.. tried a new one yesterday, have a look..

I took off from here as well but when I went to land I got a warning on the screen something to the effect of "surface not acceptable for landing , force landing?" Which I did with out a problem. I believe it did not like the straight black surface
You might be able to see on the video the pause where it wouldn't land at first.

Also this landing pad will NOT fit in my drone case... BUT... My drone case WILL fit in this landing pad!!?

I am typically able to drive out to where I want to fly so I use the vinyl soft tonneau cover on my pickup. It's stable and off the ground and keeps my MM out of the dirt, otherwise I use the case to launch and land.
95e3fcc0b4bca24263ef7b1b3667dd9e.jpg

Reactions: Erk469 and Tentoes
Good idea Thomas.. tried a new one yesterday, have a look..

I took off from here as well but when I went to land I got a warning on the screen something to the effect of "surface not acceptable for landing , force landing?" Which I did with out a problem. I believe it did not like the straight black surface
You might be able to see on the video the pause where it wouldn't land at first.

Also this landing pad will NOT fit in my drone case... BUT... My drone case WILL fit in this landing pad!!?

And the lady of the app says, "You're gonna be sorry!"
71.gif

"I went to land I got a warning on the screen something to the effect of "surface not acceptable for landing , force landing?""

Reactions: A.O.
At first I tried using a retired Silpat, silicone baking mat, but I found that occasionally a small gust of wind would get under it and move it or flip it. I then decided to invest in a CYNOVA folding landing pad, which is very similar to the Moment Rugged Landing Pad that the OP mentions. It's a bit heavier, so it is muchness likely to be moved by any wind.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM