DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the best program for creating snippets of movie without compression?

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi, I want to show some segments of video in their pure out of the camera form. Is there a good program for this? Adobe etc always re-encodes it etc

Reactions: Logger
Not sure what platform you're on, or video mode you selected, but I would start searching using the terms "lossless video trimming" which are the terms used by various standards.

thanks. ill take a look. im windows 7 and windows 10.
just want something simple so i can post a few things on here. ta

What a great idea.
I have a loads of video segments filmed take off to landing, where I really am only interested in keeping a single short segment. Literally GBs of unwanted padding Would be great to be able to slice up the DJI_000.MP4 file and ditch the unwanted bits without having to run it through a video editor. I am on Win 10 so just googled it and found instruction at How to Trim Videos in Windows 10 Photos Would be never have thought to use the Photo viewer to so this.
Great idea and Great solution Thanks guys.

I do just that, once my "to sort" folder with the raw footage starts becoming big I'll run through everything and trim just what I find worthy. Usually end up with about 1/3rd of the size and no need to scroll a to find particular clips anymore.

Thanks for the Windows 10 Photos app tip, didn't know about it and was always doing that on my tiny Macbook instead of my PC with a nice 4K screen just becasue it was easier there... not anymore.

tsMuxer
mkvmerge

just remember that trimming also has limitations - start of the trimmed video must be keyframe

..just remember that trimming also has limitations - start of the trimmed video must be keyframe
Ferraript, how does this limitations impact me if I trim with the Win10 Photos app? What is the issue if I simply trim to any point that suits in my DJI clip?

Ferraript, how does this limitations impact me if I trim with the Win10 Photos app? What is the issue if I simply trim to any point that suits in my DJI clip?
it doesn't depend on application
it's just how video compression work (it doesn't matter if it is XviD, DivX, h264, h265, ...)
if you want to trim the video without recompression, the resulting file will always start with the keyframe

"Simple" programs like this take care of it automatically, they "snap" on keyframes so you can't select unsuitable points.

I use Quicktime Player 7 on my iMac as it is fast and easy to trim clips. But! with that being said it seems my 5+ year old Sandy Bridge processor and video card is having a bit of trouble with 4K processing. A good reason to shop for a new computer for Xmas.

If it's just to post on here, I set my video stream to 1080p so a "decent" quality video is saved right on my phone. Then i use VivaVideo Pro to edit it. You can add music, filters, etc. It's really quick and easy and is plenty good quality for mobile viewing.

Last edited:
"Simple" programs like this take care of it automatically, they "snap" on keyframes so you can't select unsuitable points.
Perfect, Will stick to the Win10 Photos app as it is free, dead simple to use and does exactly what I want. I use Premier Pro for anything more complex. After 6 weeks with the Mavic I have already created 300 GB of MP4 files. Much of it is not worth keeping. From now on I can slice and dice from the get go and only keep the good bits. Thanks for the explanation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom