DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What should i do

Jrob83046

Reactions
Went to fly a Mavic Air I just bought. After getting ready to fly this came up. I had the same thing on my Phantom 4. I would press ignore and fly. Didn't show any firm ware updates. What should I do? I have always been scared of updates. Head a lot of horror stories about messing up their drone. Just wondering what I am supposed to do. I usually get the Safety Notification and accept it and fly. I use B4UFLY.

Attachments

• 20221209_164036.jpg
    20221209_164036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: Gagey52
Went to fly a Mavic Air I just bought. After getting ready to fly this came up. I had the same thing on my Phantom 4. I would press ignore and fly. Didn't show any firm ware updates. What should I do? I have always been scared of updates. Head a lot of horror stories about messing up their drone. Just wondering what I am supposed to do. I usually get the Safety Notification and accept it and fly. I use B4UFLY.
Not doing firmware updates, especially ones that have been in circulation a while, carries more risk of flight issues than installing updates. The number of people claiming their drone has been ‘bricked’ is substantially higher than reality and minuscule in comparison to those that have kept their firmware up to date.

Most firmware updates contain bug fixes, largely undocumented but also new or improved features that you’ll be missing out on.

There will no doubt follow posts saying ‘don’t update or ‘I have never done an update and had no issues’ but they are in the minority. The choice, of course, is yours.

Reactions: Flakey Flier
I turned everything on here in the house. The message came upagain. I selected to update.. I think everything came out ok. Going to fly tomorrow. I will see. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Yaros
I turned everything on here in the house. The message came upagain. I selected to update.. I think everything came out ok. Going to fly tomorrow. I will see. Thanks for the advice.
When doing firmware updates you’ll find each battery’s firmware often needs updating too. If you only do the one in your drone and change battery you’ll be prompted to update again. It isn’t always clear it’s a battery update needed when you know you’ve just done an update already.

The Fly Safe database is okay to update whenever you have an Internet connection. Many pilots don’t update theirs as some of the Geofencing DJI updates in the database are inaccurate and prevent flights in areas that are clear to fly. Never had an issue myself though.

• Wow
Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
Here in the U.K. it is illegal to fly your drone with outdated manufactures firmware and software. The CAA rules state that all firmware/software should be up to date , I have 5 DJI drones and have never had a problem after updating. Inspire 1, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic2Pro, Mini 2 and mini 3 Pro, always check software and firmware before going out flying and always update if there are any available, have I been lucky who knows but my experience has always been positive, cheers Len

I have two batteries. I'll charge the other one and and check here at the house to see if it needs updating also. Didn't know that.
One other thing. When I flew my Phantom 4 I had a small yellow circle with a dot inside it to use as a reference. Can't seem to find it now. I tried the grid but didn't like that. Even though it is the same app word it be different from drone to drone.

Never realized the batteries needed to be updated. I always check for updates (with an internet connection) before flying. I’ve got four batteries for my Mini2 and usually go through all when flying. There’s never been a message to update when a battery is changed out and a new one put in. Am I understanding that correctly?

Since I update when a new one is indicated, the “allow gimbal to tilt up” 20* function has disappeared. Quite disappointed in the loss of that useful function. The DJI forum states “engineers are working on it” but, have yet to see an update.

Reactions: Yaros
There’s never been a message to update when a battery is changed out and a new one put in. Am I understanding that correctly?
There has never been a message that said that, but it is true sometimes.
Not all firmwares include a battery firmware update, but it is worth checking just by inserting another battery in and checking for updates again.

There has never been a message that said that, but it is true sometimes.
Not all firmwares include a battery firmware update, but it is worth checking just by inserting another battery in and checking for updates again.
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661