DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What should you do when you buy a used or second hand drone?

droobie

Reactions
Does anyone have any suggestions on what a person should do if they buy a used or second hand drone - anything from hardware or software procedures or accessory purchases, etc.

Also how do you check if you have purchased a good drone?

Reactions: Chirp
Does anyone have any suggestions on what a person should do if they buy a used or second hand drone - anything from hardware or software procedures or accessory purchases, etc.

Also how do you check if you have purchased a good drone?
Caveat Emptor.
I would like to see it fly,check number of battery charges,look for cracks, check gimbal operation etc.
I have bought 2 used Phantoms and used my personal judgement to see if I trusted the seller, both times I was OK, but you can never be certain.
Faults may only show up in certain conditions long after purchase, so you get a discount for taking a risk, only you know what risk to take.
Many of us feel confident we can solve most problems and will take a bigger purchase risk.Many want the security of new and a warranty, your choice eventually.

Are you going to get another Mavic? Just wondering. Let us know what you get please...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.

Is there any way of knowing if the drone has been through repairs, accidents, etc.?

2 screws have a clear resin in the head
From memory for the top its one of the front screws near the gimbal & the bottom its one of the back screws

Doesn't the repair store replace the resin?

I presume the resin is there to lock the screws from loosening.

Personally i have long since given up buying second hand tech especially for something high risk like this - unless its really cheap- , sometimes your lucky, but often what you save by buying a second hand one, over buying a brand new one with warranty, is lost in not just monetary terms, but in time and frustration if your second hand one fails or does not work as it should.

Reactions: Hollow Dog
Doesn't the repair store replace the resin?

I presume the resin is there to lock the screws from loosening.
Nope not replaced and no it doesn't stop it from loosening, it just the head filled in

Found in another thread
As I was checking the screws today, I noticed that the underside screw on the starboard side of the gimbal and the rear screw on the same side (behind the leg) had a clear substance applied to the inset of the screws. I assume this was done by DJI as some sort of tamper-evident measure

Personally i have long since given up buying second hand tech especially for something high risk like this - unless its really cheap- , sometimes your lucky, but often what you save by buying a second hand one, over buying a brand new one with warranty, is lost in not just monetary terms, but in time and frustration if your second hand one fails or does not work as it should.

Seriously, this kind of stuff, things that a single small failure and no warranty means disaster should only fech 50% or less of new value in great condition.

Reactions: Dw911
Considering I bought mine for £600 for a fly more which was £1400 new when I got it, I think it was worth it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLEKOK