DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What tablet or phone do you use for your Mavic Pro

I bought a Nvidia shield at great expense because of the larger screen and the fact I could use Litchi whereas my iPhone 5S would not accommodate Litchi. I am still trying to figure out how to connect the shield to the RC so can' tell you how good ( or bad ) it is. Anyone got any ideas?
You can use your charger cord, and go right into the full size USB port in the front/bottom of the controller.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Galaxy S7, never had a problem with it, I tried the Crystalsky but it was very unreliable, kept disconnecting from the MPP at least one every flight session, thought it was the usb cable but no, the last time I used it even had a mind of its own, it kept opening settings menus and wouldn't let me turn it off, I went back to my S7 and never looked back.
Gotta love DJI
Even their own screen doesn't work with their AndrAnd app..... Thats brilliant.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (yes, the "venting with flame" Note 7). Carriers have blocked it from the cellular networks in Australia, so found a use for it as a controller... works very nicely, and a great repurpose.

Reactions: AlpinaD10
I uses a ipad mini 4 with cellular. with my cell service it was only 15 more for 2 gig ( I don't think I would need more for that to load maps) if I do go pass 2 gig it just slow down the data to a tether speed, meaning if you was using your phone as a hotspot and having the ipad connect via wifi !

I like the apple cause their products cause when I am using a wifi I can uses the 5.8ghz! and NOT the 2.4ghz cause that's the same freq as the mavic! which can cause interference

Hey all,

I was just wondering what everyone was using for their Mavic Pro when flying. What kind of phone or tablet do you use?

I have tried two android devices (Pixel XL and S7 Plus), however, I would occasionally lose signal to the app mid flight. This is quite scary as I have no idea what the drone is doing and am forced to restart the DJI app. I switched over to a dedicated iPhone 6 and since then I have never had any problems, but I am missing the bigger screens of the other 2.
I flew for a couple of months using a spare Samsung Note 4. It worked pretty good, but was very hard to see outside in bright light. After looking at other phones with brighter displays, I bought a Doogee BL5000. 5 1/2 inch, bright 1080p display, octa-core processor @ 2mz, 4gb ram, 64 gb rom, and a 5050 mAh battery. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but so far, I really like it. Has enough power (processor, ram, rom, battery) that it works very good for flying and with that big battery, I can fly many times before having to charge it. I bought it just to fly with, so it's never made or received a call and doesn't get my email. Nothing but just fly.

I flew for a couple of months using a spare Samsung Note 4. It worked pretty good, but was very hard to see outside in bright light. After looking at other phones with brighter displays, I bought a Doogee BL5000. 5 1/2 inch, bright 1080p display, octa-core processor @ 2mz, 4gb ram, 64 gb rom, and a 5050 mAh battery. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, but so far, I really like it. Has enough power (processor, ram, rom, battery) that it works very good for flying and with that big battery, I can fly many times before having to charge it. I bought it just to fly with, so it's never made or received a call and doesn't get my email. Nothing but just fly.

I am looking for an android phone may I ask what did it cost?

Thanks

I am looking for an android phone may I ask what did it cost?

Thanks
I got mine on ebay. From a woman who raises money for a charity. I don't know how she got it, but it was brand new in the box and I paid US $94 for it. Just checking online, I see it advertised at Banggood.com for $140. As I said, I've only used it for a few weeks but, so far, it's really good for flying and I'm very happy with it.

the ipad screen recording does have an option to record audio from mic. of course this is the video that's recorded on the tablet not the drone video
I got the Ipad Mini 2 and when I tried using the screen recorder as I flew, I lost signal at 400 feet. Turned the screen recorder off and no issues. Apparently the CPU can not handle both tasks.

I got the Ipad Mini 2 and when I tried using the screen recorder as I flew, I lost signal at 400 feet. Turned the screen recorder off and no issues. Apparently the CPU can not handle both tasks.

that is interesting I will hopefully try that today with the ipad mini 4 have you tried other screen recording app? maybe its just the ios one that's causing problems?

that is interesting I will hopefully try that today with the ipad mini 4 have you tried other screen recording app? maybe its just the ios one that's causing problems?
I plan to try a different one today. That leads me to believe that the CPU has a big effect on signal strength. For instance , I posted a video showing how an aftermarket braided cable alleviates signal loss. A lot if people called BS, so I switched the video to private until I did more research to confirm. I really do have less issues using an aftermarket cable. Maybe that stock connector causes a data bottleneck that stresses the CPU? I hope to do some more testing today.

I've used a lot of different tablets in the past, on both iOS and Android. The best option is probably an iPad Mini 4 or Air 2. That may change with newer iPads this year (depends if they have a fully laminated option which will have a greater effect on the Air 2's price, or if it'll just be a refresh of the un-laminated 5th gen). I'm not a fan of Apple in particular, but the iPad screens are really nice (even if they're not the brightest available), and Mini and Air tablets are very well built.

If you're dedicating an Android device to your drone, I highly recommend rooting it and debloating it (especially Samsung devices). Tablets like the A6 (SM-T580 and T585) work far better when debloated. Also, be aware that some tablets (like the A6) have strong magnets in the back which should be removed.

Day-to-day, I use my Huawei P9 or my Note 4 (with anti-glare protector). The P9 is stock, and works very well since it has a fantastically bright screen. The Note 4 is a chinese variant that I've put a stock Android ROM onto, along with debloating it. I'm not that invested in getting a tablet-size device, but am keeping an eye out for a cheap Shield.

Nexus 7. Works great as long as I remember to put it in airplane mode before flying.

iPad Mini 4 (cellular). Started with a Samsung Note 4, then a Note 8. Then switched to an iPad, zero issues.

iPad Mini 4 (cellular). Started with a Samsung Note 4, then a Note 8. Then switched to an iPad, zero issues.

I agree that is what I have to and zero problems! I did buy the 128gig one too

Reactions: breid
I tried my old Samsung Note II when I first got my MP but could not get any image on the screen. Everything else was fine.

Upgraded to a S8 and it works. great. The super bright screen is great and even with the super bright sunny cloudless skies here (near Perth Australia) I can see the screen with out a hood etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie