DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to turn OFF RTH?

Top Hat

Reactions
Flying in beginners mode in my backyard w/ trees around me.
I don't want MP to kick into RTH in case of .......
Where in the SW can I turn this feature OFF.

Reactions: SteveM
There is no way to disable RTH. The best you can do is set the following setting to "Hover":

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

Then, just make sure you land before the battery is low and RTH auto initiates.

Yes, while deferring to the greater experience already expressed, it's something I have looked at again and again after reading of others getting tied up with (probably) misunderstood aspects of RTH.

I have convinced myself that you cannot set the basic RTH to 'hover', which would be ideal if you were flying along a track that is sheltered by tree growth, overhanging from trees either side of the track.
The only time RTH Hover is an option is if the Controller to Aircraft signal fails, as already stated.

In 'my' anticipated scenario, of a tree sheltered track, I've come to the conclusion that the RTH height will have to be set low, although I'm not sure what the actual minimum is.

Your scenario, of trees around your backyard, may well give to more height to play with, than I anticipate for myself.

If you stay in Beginner mode you will find the aircraft does not dash about too much. Of course, you are also unlikely to lose the Controller to Aircraft signal while limited to 30m radius and 30m height.

Good Luck

In 'my' anticipated scenario, of a tree sheltered track, I've come to the conclusion that the RTH height will have to be set low, although I'm not sure what the actual minimum is.
The minimum RTH altitude is 20 meters.

Is the auto rth adjustable or is that just the setpoints for when the alarm goes off? What would be the issue on low battery auto rth in the op case? Sorry for basic questions i am just learning about all of this trying to read as much as i can. Would it climb up to the setpoint for altitude, then land? I ask because i have only flown in my backyard to!

There are 3 types of RTH functions:
-Smart RTH
-Low Battery RTH
-Failsafe RTH

"Auto RTH" occurs when:
-You ignore the beeping and verbal warnings that your battery is getting below the level that you should have previously "set" prior to takeoff. This is the Low Battery RTH function that is automatically triggered when the battery level is depleted to the point that the safe return of the aircraft is affected. If after getting the warning via the dji go 4 app is given - the aircraft with begin to automatically return to home AFTER a 10-second countdown. (This can be cancelled by pressing the RTH button on the controller). The thresholds from these warnings are based on altitude and distance from the recorded home point (take off point). If the battery is depleted to the point of only being able to land safely from its current altitude: it will descend and land AUTOMATICALLY (although you will be able to still control its orientation as it is doing so)

-Failsafe RTH :
If the Homepoint was successfully recorded upon your take off AND the compass is functioning properly - this function will AUTOMATICALLY activate if the controller signal is lost for a period of time: 3 seconds when using controller and 20 seconds when using "Wifi".

Once you 'set' your RTH altitude via the Dji go4 app the following conditions will occur if RTH FOR "smart" and "low Battery" RTH is triggered:

-if your aircraft is 20 meters or greater from your homepoint - it will ascend (climb) to your 'set' point if you are flying below it at that point.

-if the aircraft is between 5 meters and 20 meters from your homepoint and RTH is triggered the aircraft will return at the current altitude IF IT IS GREATER then 32 feet (10 meters). If the aircraft is LOWER then 32 feet (10 meters) - it will CLIMB to 32 feet (10 meters).

-the aircraft will automatically land if RTH is triggered and you are within 5 meters from your homepoint.

Always ensure that you have a good GPS signal as it is difficult to impossible for the aircraft to return to a homepoint if you have a weak or very weak GPS signal.

Also: obstacle avoidance relies on the forward vision system and IT relies on good lighting conditions to assist it in detecting obstacles as it flies home in RTH. The aircraft senses obstacles at about 15 meters (49 feet) and slows down and hovers - then climbs about 5 meters (16 feet) above the obstacle then continues on its RTH route.

Hope this lengthy information helps you.

Reactions: domination
Is the auto rth adjustable or is that just the setpoints for when the alarm goes off? What would be the issue on low battery auto rth in the op case? Sorry for basic questions i am just learning about all of this trying to read as much as i can. Would it climb up to the setpoint for altitude, then land? I ask because i have only flown in my backyard to!

I am guessing it will climb to default setting and land.
This why I want it off if I can, but per SW there's no turning off RTH.

I find this frustrating. I want to fly MP along a tree covered trail. I thought of setting lost signal to hover and my battery rth below 30%. I flew in my backyard down to around 20% battery when set on 10 and even though rth was set for 10 while MP 10 feet from me, it started to return to home. I was able to over ride its ascent with the downstick while i fumbled to cancel RTH. Doesnt make me feel comfi.

when set on 10 and even though rth was set for 10 while MP 10 feet from me, it started to return to home
Can you explain this some more? I'm not sure what you mean.

haha - sry wasnt clear. I was thinking of just flying ahead of myself and friends 6 ft off ground maybe backwards to record us at times and only 10 ft ahead on a trail with tree cover. So, I thought i would try setting the rth battery warning to 10% giving me more flying time ( although i've heard some say bad for battery on a regular basis). I would put the lost signal directive to hover. Rth minimum is 20 meters so my Mp would in theory still hit the trees above if i 'f' up (fly past the rth time and maybe fumble with controls like an idiot and hit a tree)
So I did this in my open back yard and when the battery hit 20% or so the rth warning came on unexpected..... so now im even less excited about trying it

You want to disable Smart RTH too then. And do yourself a favor and land at reasonable battery levels anyway.

YEAH, I think I somehow overlooked the obvious-a doughhead.
I Was tryin to figure how to turn off smart rth and couldn't find it- then got muddled. I'll do that and land at 30%. thx for your patience...

I thought i would try setting the rth battery warning to 10% giving me more flying time ( although i've heard some say bad for battery on a regular basis).
That setting does not control when the Low Battery RTH is initiated. It'll always be initiated when the Mavic calculates that it needs to return home in order to return safely. When that occurs, you'll have 10 seconds to cancel it in DJI GO before your Mavic starts returning home.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78