DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Goggles?

Steve Gross

Reactions
I find many asking what the "Best" goggles are for our Mavic Pro. Me Too! I don't work for any of these companies, I simply want to but the best FPV goggles I can, for FPV use.

So, I have purchased a ton of goggles for my edification and thought you might enjoy some of my thoughts. I have now tested 5-6 prs of FPV goggles for use with my Mavic pro. These test are subjective and, based on how my eyes see sharpness, brightness, field of view and clarity. I have not actually flown my Mavic with any of these goggles, as yet. All bench tested, only. I enjoy a large field of view and ease of use but I mainly look for comfort, bright, sharp and, clear picture from my goggles. I love HD video! A clean set-up also counts, not so many wires is important to me. I have purchased many goggles for testing, as stated. For a point of reference, I don't appreciate nor enjoy anything Fatshark manufactures. I have a 2 year background in building and flying racing quads and not camera drones and DJI has now spoiled me, in many ways but, for this conversation, I am seeking the "Best" FPV HD rendering goggles I can find to fully appreciate the excellence DJI offers in video reproduction for FPV use.

Tested: Flysight Spexman1, Headplays, Goggles2 (Banggood), Carl Zeiss cinimatizer and the Avegant Glyphs. Seems like I missed one or two, I bought so many. All were tested with my Mavic Pro camera//gamble and the Shield K1 outputting HDMI. I did forget to mention the Yuneec.

Yuneec: Great picture, really good! But another box on your face! I think a possible design flaw and the lower fraction of the screen view was chopped off by the goggle frame and housing. Couldn't get them to sit comfortably but, I have a small nose but, picture quality was awesome. Maybe, for others who have a "bigger" head, these goggles would be more suitable.

Flysight Spexman1: No. Just no! Reminds me of FatShark. I don't know how people enjoy these sort of goggles with their DJI products (Camera drones), period. But, these FPV goggles w/ DJI Mavic Pro? No. Not for me.

Headplays: If you don't mind wearing a huge "box" the Headplays are very nice and sharp, great contrast and very sharp picture and, large field of view, all that is great! I come from racing drone background and really tired of the huge box on my face. But, great video reproduction and associated FPV pic.

The Goggles2 from BG were a bit smaller but still a "box" with no open above or below peripheral vision. My eyes are still in a box. But, more so, just a real disappointment for me; cloudy not sharp, in fact noticeably dull not clear to my eyes. They are supposed to be 1080P? I question the lenses, in that case.

Carl Zeiss Cinimatizer: These glasses actually motivated this unofficial, subjective review. They just broke my heart and wallet, they were so disappointing!! A huge disappointment as I read everything I could find before I purchased these. I found a forum, I do think it was a dji forum (which I can't locate at the minute) where most of what was written, voiced excellence. Were these post written for ulterior motives or goals? Anyway, they were not true in my view and I will immediately sell these on Ebay. I wore them for about 5-10 minutes tried my best to love them but, they are/were truly one of my largest disappointment purchases, thus far. I suppose DJI has now shown/taught me what true excellence for FPV video drones should be/can be/is and the video these Cinimatizer render to FPV glasses/goggles is "lackluster" at best. I can't re-locate that forum and those post at the minute but, I hope all those contemplating the Carl Zeiss cinimatizer will read this before purchasing them. A great concept and idea, they feel good on my head (I also purchased the sunshields) but, why didn't they make the picture sharper and more clear. Why couldn't they be true HD and I guess that is my problem with them. Perhaps I set them up incorrectly. Na, for get that, I know what I want and what am doing, in this case.

The Avegant Glyphs: Now these are FPV goggles. Forget all the others, I tell you. YOu will not go wrong, period. If you want a pair of high quality, bright, sharp/clear, easy to wear and just excellent goggles you can't go wrong with the Avegant Glyph. In every way (for me), they are spectacular goggles/glasses. Every time I put these on, I am in complete comfort and see a sharp bright clear view. I notice that each time I wear them, it might need about 3 seconds for the diopters readjustment for my eyes but, I have 3 seconds to spend so, not at issue. I feel everyone would love them if shear picture quality is your goal. There are other superior design traits they employed in manufacturing these, such as how I can see above and below the frames and I really love that! I know, you cant please everyone and I run risk of condemnation for writing this. Please haters, spare me!

But, they really are, in so many ways, the very best goggle I have ever used, including the FatShark at 720/Headplays/goggle2 and all those listed above. Do not believe all one might read about the "high Quality Cinimatizer as it's just not so.

Now, does anyone wish to buy my cinimatizer? That's $ 700 USD down the drain as I will never ever fly with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: @PeteVee
Did you guys have any trouble adjusting the Glyphs with the enclosed nose rests?

I found all of them push the goggles too far away from my face. That causes the bottom of the goggles to block the view in either and/or both eyes -- making the picture seem blurry on the bottom corners. If I use the stock nose rest (which is not really a nose rest at all), I can move the goggles close enough to my face to work around that issue.

Did you guys have any trouble adjusting the Glyphs with the enclosed nose rests?
Fortunately, I found one that works for me. One of the con's of the Glyph is getting it adjusted. I have heard of others on the Glyph forum that are using the stock (non) nose rest. All Categories - Avegant Glyph Forums

Edited: Another con of the Glyph is dust. I have had the issue, and their support was great.. Quick and free replacement.

I have heard of others on the Glyph forum that are using the stock (non) nose rest.
Right -- like I mentioned above ;)

It's not as comfortable though.

@msinger, are you using your Glyph's with the Mavic from your Nvidia Shield? I have a Shield also, but I am going to try wireless from my iPhone 6+ to the Glyph.

I haven't used them with my Shield yet. I have many Phantoms and an Inspire 1 that have an HDMI output on the remote controller.

I haven't used them with my Shield yet. I have many Phantoms and an Inspire 1 that have an HDMI output on the remote controller.
I see.. I also use the HDMI output from my P4P. Don't really want to use the Shield with the Mavic if I can avoid it.. The iPhone 6+ is big enough.

@msinger, are you using your Glyph's with the Mavic from your Nvidia Shield? I have a Shield also, but I am going to try wireless from my iPhone 6+ to the Glyph.

From my post: "All were tested with my Mavic Pro camera//gamble and the Shield K1 outputting HDMI".

I find many asking what the "Best" goggles are for our Mavic Pro. Me Too! I don't work for any of these companies, I simply want to but the best FPV goggles I can, for FPV use.

So, I have purchased a ton of goggles for my edification and thought you might enjoy some of my thoughts. I have now tested 5-6 prs of FPV goggles for use with my Mavic pro. These test are subjective and, based on how my eyes see sharpness, brightness, field of view and clarity. I have not actually flown my Mavic with any of these goggles, as yet. All bench tested, only. I enjoy a large field of view and ease of use but I mainly look for comfort, bright, sharp and, clear picture from my goggles. I love HD video! A clean set-up also counts, not so many wires is important to me. I have purchased many goggles for testing, as stated. For a point of reference, I don't appreciate nor enjoy anything Fatshark manufactures. I have a 2 year background in building and flying racing quads and not camera drones and DJI has now spoiled me, in many ways but, for this conversation, I am seeking the "Best" FPV HD rendering goggles I can find to fully appreciate the excellence DJI offers in video reproduction for FPV use.

Tested: Flysight Spexman1, Headplays, Goggles2 (Banggood), Carl Zeiss cinimatizer and the Avegant Glyphs. Seems like I missed one or two, I bought so many. All were tested with my Mavic Pro camera//gamble and the Shield K1 outputting HDMI.

Flysight Spexman1: No. Just no! Reminds me of FatShark. I don't know how people enjoy these sort of goggles with their DJI products (Camera drones), period. But, these FPV goggles w/ DJI Mavic Pro? No. Not for me.

Headplays: If you don't mind wearing a huge "box" the Headplays are very nice and sharp, great contrast and very sharp picture and, large field of view, all that is great! I come from racing drone background and really tired of the huge box on my face. But, great video reproduction and associated FPV pic.

The Goggles2 from BG were a bit smaller but still a "box" with no open above or below peripheral vision. My eyes are still in a box. But, more so, just a real disappointment for me; cloudy not sharp, in fact noticeably dull not clear to my eyes. They are supposed to be 1080P? I question the lenses, in that case.

Carl Zeiss Cinimatizer: These glasses actually motivated this unofficial, subjective review. They just broke my heart and wallet, they were so disappointing!! A huge disappointment as I read everything I could find before I purchased these. I found a forum, I do think it was a dji forum (which I can't locate at the minute) where most of what was written, voiced excellence. Were these post written for ulterior motives or goals? Anyway, they were not true in my view and I will immediately sell these on Ebay. I wore them for about 5-10 minutes tried my best to love them but, they are/were truly one of my largest disappointment purchases, thus far. I suppose DJI has now shown/taught me what true excellence for FPV video drones should be/can be/is and the video these Cinimatizer render to FPV glasses/goggles is "lackluster" at best. I can't re-locate that forum and those post at the minute but, I hope all those contemplating the Carl Zeiss cinimatizer will read this before purchasing them. A great concept and idea, they feel good on my head (I also purchased the sunshields) but, why didn't they make the picture sharper and more clear. Why couldn't they be true HD and I guess that is my problem with them. Perhaps I set them up incorrectly. Na, for get that, I know what I want and what am doing, in this case.

The Avegant Glyphs: Now these are FPV goggles. Forget all the others, I tell you. YOu will not go wrong, period. If you want a pair of high quality, bright, sharp/clear, easy to wear and just excellent goggles you can't go wrong with the Avegant Glyph. In every way (for me), they are spectacular goggles/glasses. Every time I put these on, I am in complete comfort and see a sharp bright clear view. I notice that each time I wear them, it might need about 3 seconds for the diopters readjustment for my eyes but, I have 3 seconds to spend so, not at issue. I feel everyone would love them if shear picture quality is your goal. There are other superior design traits they employed in manufacturing these, such as how I can see above and below the frames and I really love that! I know, you cant please everyone and I run risk of condemnation for writing this. Please haters, spare me!

But, they really are, in so many ways, the very best goggle I have ever used, including the FatShark at 720/Headplays/goggle2 and all those listed above. Do not believe all one might read about the "high Quality Cinimatizer as it's just not so.

Now, does anyone wish to buy my cinimatizer? That's $ 700 USD down the drain as I will never ever fly with them.

I ruled out Fatshark like you until I found out FS Transformer yesterday. They are on top of my list now.

Agreed, The K1 display is great. I'm just trying to keep the remote small and comfortable. How are you mounting your K1?
Sorry, I just saw this from you. So,
I bought 6 mounts for a larger tablets. the mav Mount is nice but a larger profile and heavy. I found another one but wanted to send you a link of the mount I like best. It's lighter, easier and built well. Much lower profile. But, I cant find the link to send you. I will keep looking.

Steve Gross:

First, thank you for the info, I have been looking and contemplating for over a year. Bought and tried a few that you mentioned but not satisfied. Nice to see someone who gives a good comparison....

Question: I'm assuming you wear a baseball hat or similar?... and that is enough shade to keep the light out and still see above/below the glasses for LOS viewing?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998