DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who flies beyond line of sight?

I have two drones for this reason. I put one on an auto shot circle at a couple of hundred feet and hide the controller. I then fly the other where I feel like and if challenged on VLOS just point at the circling drone.

Works a treat...

Reactions: Clipper707
I have two drones for this reason. I put one on an auto shot circle at a couple of hundred feet and hide the controller. I then fly the other where I feel like and if challenged on VLOS just point at the circling drone.

Works a treat...
Somehow I don't see that reasoning will fly.

IMO, VLOS is an outdated policy only in place to protect the FAA, something for them to fall back on should a disaster ever occur.

As long as you respect that 400' altitude restriction and are aware of surrounding airspace flying outside of VLOS is a non issue.

IMO, VLOS is an outdated policy only in place to protect the FAA, something for them to fall back on should a disaster ever occur.

As long as you respect that 400' altitude restriction and are aware of surrounding airspace flying outside of VLOS is a non issue.

I agree about vlos being outdated.
Who can honestly say they are truly flying vlos when operating as an aerial photographer / videographer flying fpv with a display screen ?
I know when I’m videoing, or for that matter flying generally (the exception being say sports mode having a fun fly very close), I’m eyes on the screen almost 100% of the time.
You always want to see what the camera is ‘seeing’.

Reactions: 4thdpi
I agree about vlos being outdated.
Who can honestly say they are truly flying vlos when operating as an aerial photographer / videographer flying fpv with a display screen ?
I know when I’m videoing, or for that matter flying generally (the exception being say sports mode having a fun fly very close), I’m eyes on the screen almost 100% of the time.
You always want to see what the camera is ‘seeing’.
I imagine almost everyone. If not, then why mapping available. One of these days they will just limit to beginner status. The DJI will fold. Admit it who doesnt.

I can see my air out to a 1000 of so feet is I watch it going if I take my eyes off it then I loose sight of it but usually can find it again if I move it up and down .

There is no question mark about what the FAA expects regarding distance...

"With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight"

This distance will vary somewhat for different people but I don't think it's possible for anyone but Superman to see a Mavic from 1,000 meters way except maybe at twilight/at night with a super bright strobe. My limit is about 300 meters.

There is no question mark about what the FAA expects regarding distance...

"With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight"

This distance will vary somewhat for different people but I don't think it's possible for anyone but Superman to see a Mavic from 1,000 meters way except maybe at twilight/at night with a super bright strobe. My limit is about 300 meters.
Also Steve Austin after he was "rebuilt".

Do you think you could see it at 3000 feet (1000 meters)?
I have seen the strobes on my quad for over a 1/2 mile during daylight. You have to have the sun at your back and a darker background helps so sky conditions and/or the flying terrain matters. Can I see the drone...no, I see the flash of the white strobes. The problem is once I take my eyes off the strobes I might have a hard time re-finding it but that can happen to any drone without strobes at 500' out. I almost always fly with others and sometimes laugh when one of us loose sight but everybody else can see it. I do keep a pair of binoculars handy for one of my friends if I need a little help. With the binos, you can see the red and green strobes much better. Flying in the same spot I was able to see the Arc-II white strobes just under a mile but it was late afternoon and the conditions were perfect. At dusk (after the sun sets) I can start to see the red and green strobes and although I've never tried it, my guess is I'd be able to see the white strobes well over a mile away.

I have seen the strobes on my quad for over a 1/2 mile during daylight. You have to have the sun at your back and a darker background helps so sky conditions and/or the flying terrain matters. Can I see the drone...no, I see the flash of the white strobes. The problem is once I take my eyes off the strobes I might have a hard time re-finding it but that can happen to any drone without strobes at 500' out. I almost always fly with others and sometimes laugh when one of us loose sight but everybody else can see it. I do keep a pair of binoculars handy for one of my friends if I need a little help. With the binos, you can see the red and green strobes much better. Flying in the same spot I was able to see the Arc-II white strobes just under a mile but it was late afternoon and the conditions were perfect. At dusk (after the sun sets) I can start to see the red and green strobes and although I've never tried it, my guess is I'd be able to see the white strobes well over a mile away.
You youngsters are always bragging. ;)

When I performed controlled flights within a soccer field, I kept losing track of my M2 with it being gray and green background of trees. I usually could find it if I raised it up so it was in the background of sky.

You youngsters are always bragging. ;)
Youngster? I wish. Supposed to be the golden years but there's not much gold to be found IMO. My eye sight is pretty bad, I think I'll be forced to wear glasses in the future to drive but even at that seeing a flashing white strobe is much easier than seeing a small drone even if it has a bright colored skin.

That's not true anymore.

It's fairly trivial for the FAA to monitor your flight path in real time as well as the pilots location. The FAA is determined to make DJI Aeroscope and similar tracking technologies standard. There are several airports in final testing and then it's just the matter of funding and installation.

The alternative is for them to regulate hobbyists out of existence. That may be the easier strategy as far as the FAA is concerned. They are off to a good start
The FAA’s Pathfinder Program is for UAS detection at airports. . No way do they have the resources to track drones the way they track aircraft with transponders. Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24 Click on one of the aircraft. I can see if an aircraft is in my neighborhood. In spite of the Doomsday Soothsayers I still enjoy flying my fleet of DJI Drones. On this flight I did not see an FAA inspector, not a one.

Last edited:
Odd but I was thinking this very thing today while out flying my MP. I have gone beyond VLOS but mostly because sometimes when I look down at my iPad and look back up again, I can't find it. Honestly I get pretty nervous when I can't see it because I'm still fairly new to drones (68 flights). I get it back in VLOS as quickly as possible. Lost it once a couple weeks ago and it's not that fun of an experience.

Am very impressed with some of the vids however, where the drone is a long, long way from the point of lift off. Fun to watch but out of my league.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian