DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who says Mavic can't do low light?

Haha, good! I try to get that response from my audiences.

All manual, ISO 400 (I try to never exceed) I think the shutter was down around 80, and white bal was custom around 7200, D-Cinelike, with landscape preset.
Nice video for sure. Curious, why a shutter of 80? Best practices is always double frame rate so if you are shooting a 30fps shutter should be 60 and if you are shooting at 24fps the shutter should be at 24. A) this delivers the most cinematic look possible with the slight non-video motion blur of film not to mention eliminating possible jello effect and B) in you low light case would have enabled you to lower ISO even more.

Nice video for sure. Curious, why a shutter of 80? Best practices is always double frame rate so if you are shooting a 30fps shutter should be 60 and if you are shooting at 24fps the shutter should be at 24. A) this delivers the most cinematic look possible with the slight non-video motion blur of film not to mention eliminating possible jello effect and B) in you low light case would have enabled you to lower ISO even more.
For the sake of convenience, I preset the iso at 400 and let the camera control the shutter. You are correct that I could have coaxed a little lower iSO out at the beginning of the shoot, but i didn’t want to have to deal with ongoing camera adjustments in the middle of a challenging shoot in a snowstorm.

Having the shutter exactly at 2x isn’t nearly as important as getting it DOWN, somewhere close. That 1/20 of a second difference will never be perceived by anyone.

Also, jello is not even a consideration until much higher shutter speeds are approached.

Last edited:
Every time I see beautiful shots like this I am reminded of that fact that I am wasting my life.

Haven't touched my Mavic in months, I need to recommit and keep learning. Thanks for the inspiration, really.

Every time I see beautiful shots like this I am reminded of that fact that I am wasting my life.

Haven't touched my Mavic in months, I need to recommit and keep learning. Thanks for the inspiration, really.
We can all get caught in that slump.

After all, this is not always easy or productive.

But that is part of what makes it so rewarding, when successful. At least to me

Best to you in all your pursuits.

I used auto out of the box settings for this. No post edit just, fired it straight to YT. Just got to remember “no sudden movements”, keep it smooth. Twilight definitely a great time to fly and get some amazing footage.

I assume you guys are not using any ND filters at these low light settings?

Wow, this is pretty nice! I guess I need to practice more. Thanks for sharing!! I learned something from this post!

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Power and phone lines can be a real nuisance, always worth scoping out during daylight, if you’re planning on low light flying.

If you’re going for really low light, then how about moonlight and fireworks?

I am used to use autofocus, but when I saw this fireworks footage, for the first time, I see how it can ruin a nice job like yours.

The focus was fine, at first, but then it was messed up after a while. Did you tried to redo the focus (for some reason) manually or the auto focus did it?

I am used to use autofocus, but when I saw this fireworks footage, for the first time, I see how it can ruin a nice job like yours.

The focus was fine, at first, but then it was messed up after a while. Did you tried to redo the focus (for some reason) manually or the auto focus did it?

I’m pretty sure it was a combination of inadvertently touching the screen and the old automatic AF after any adjustment of direction followed by a stop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_