DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Cached Maps??

Randyp1234

Reactions
I've been researching tablet options and that's led me to the fact that having off-line cached maps may, or may not, be available depending on tablet OS and version of GO4. But my questions is why is this so important?

First - am I correct in understanding that RTH, intelligent flight modes and such depend totally on GPS information and not maps? If you were to fly truly VLOS does it really matter that there's no map information when flying? What am I missing?

Thanks!!

Randy

Reactions: mikeharmon18
am I correct in understanding that RTH, intelligent flight modes and such depend totally on GPS information and not maps?

Yup, no maps needed for any of that Thumbswayup

If you were to fly truly VLOS does it really matter that there's no map information when flying?

I find it handy for reference if flying near a road, or canal, I don't want to tilt the camera down to see where I am in relation to the ground below, a map helps me see how close I am to the road / canal / etc without spoiling my video :cool:

Yes you are absolutely correct, RTH is entirely GPS based, the maps are just extra info, and as you say if you are in VLOS, then just fly back. Even out of sight you can still check the map, or lack of it, and reorientate and fly back.
I just like to have the extra data, just the kind of guy I am.

As long as the first start up message says 'Home point recorded, please check it on the map.' I'll be caching maps before I fly.
Then there's the issue of flight records and using the 'Find my drone' function if something unexpected happens.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky