DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will a 2018 iPad 9.7 32gb wifi only work with the 2 zoom?

Will a 2018 iPad 9.7 32gb wifi only work with the 2 zoom? Trying to find an answer is like pulling teeth. Thanks
No one likes their teeth pulled!, But yes it will work! It is on the list of DJI recommended devices for most of thier aircraft including most of the whole Mavic series.

Last edited:
No one likes their teeth pulled!, But yes it will work! It is on the list of DJI recommended devices for most of thier aircraft including the whole Mavic series.
I apologize- let me clarify:
(a) 2018 iPad 32gb wifi only
(b) 2018 iPad 32gb wifi & cellular
Will the (a) function the same as (b)?
My understanding is that (a) has no gps and (b) has assisted gps with glonass

I apologize- let me clarify:
(a) 2018 iPad 32gb wifi only
(b) 2018 iPad 32gb wifi & cellular
Will the (a) function the same as (b)?
My understanding is that (a) has no gps and (b) has assisted gps with glonass
Having GPS in your tablet is of very little use.
There are only two flight functions that use the GPS in your tablet and unless you need those, there's no need to have GPS in the tablet.
Those two functions are:
Follow-me flight (Active track works much better)
Resetting the home point to the current location of the controller (for flying from a moving car or boat)
If you aren't going to use those features, there's no need to have GPS on the tablet.

Without GPS, you wont be able to see where you are in relation to the drone in "find my drone" if a crash or unexpected landing happens..

I have used an old iPad Wifi only, and it works.

When I need GPS, I use a tiny Bluetooth connected GPS with the added bonus of increased positional accuracy and precision.

When I need to download/upload data in the field I HotSpot my smartphone to my iPad.

Once you take off, stay at the same place and don’t walk away from it until return. If you want a GPS for your non-GPS tablet, or even your phone if off cell service, the EDIT: Garmin GLO works via bluetooth to provide GPS data to it.

Last edited:
I use a 2018 iPad 9.7 128GB Wi-Fi only, it works perfectly. I also have my iPhone with me, and I turn on the Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone so the iPad is able to pull GPS info from the phone.

Without GPS, you wont be able to see where you are in relation to the drone in "find my drone" if a crash or unexpected landing happens..

Could you not just switch over to your cell phone if that ever happens then you will have gps locator working.

I’ve just bought the same iPad and I cannot wait to fly with a big screen! I do also plan to tether data from my iPhone to my iPad for the maps however I can’t see it being a huge issue.

Once you take off, stay at the same place and don’t walk away from it until return. If you want a GPS for your non-GPS tablet, or even your phone if off cell service, the Garmin NUVI works via bluetooth to provide GPS data to it.
GPS equipped phones don't need an active cell service for GPS to work.

Reactions: ff22
GPS equipped phones don't need an active cell service for GPS to work.

Yeah, good point. ;) , iPhone’s can do GLONASS also, which is great for when GPS reception is wonky. It is convenient not to have to link to your phone, and I also put my GLO near my rear view mirror for better reception while using the iPad fir navigating.

I did make a mistake in that post, though- I’m using the Garmin GLO, not the NUVI, to do it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet