DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Drone Shows Replace Firework Displays in the Future?

A lot of opening ceremony's and shows are making more use of them but to put a complete business out completely i think is a very few years away yet.

Reactions: The Droning Company
Not entirely, but to a certain extent, yes.

Watching the news over the last week, national and local, concern over the possibility of fireworks causing forest fires under certain conditions seems to be growing. That, and the fact that the PC public sees fireworks as 'dangerous explosives'.

On the plus side, maybe positive uses of them will eventually 'desensitize' the general public to the word Drone.

And more demand will increase the profit potential for our compadres who own or work for companies that specialize in drone shows. Large powerful outdoor sound systems can take the place of the actual booms and bangs.

Sure. Right after they get through 'replacing' delivery trucks, cargo ships, jet aircraft, delivery vans, UPS, FedEx USPS and of course; all forms of human existence as we know it. :rolleyes:🤬 ;) I keed, I keed.

😏Sorry for the rant but; WHY is it they have to REPLACE anything? What is the motive to suggest that a technology that is literally in it's infancy (compared to things they are rumored to replace in the near future), is somehow going to change so much that has existed and been established over centuries and I am not just talking about firework displays. Never mind.

I have been a remote pilot for almost 45 years. I've had businesses directly tied to this craft for almost 30 of those years, I have invested my life into what has become 'drones' so I am in no way against their evolution. However.

Why can't 'drones' become part of our world instead of replacing it? To me the drones shows are very impressive on their own merit, but they are not anything like, or near, a firework display and they never will be. A drone show is like reading a tech blog while watching a firework display is akin to watching a blockbuster movie like Maverick Top Gun - no comparison. I still like reading about tech, but when I go to a movie I expect what only it can deliver.

Maybe I am sentimental but I would never want to live in a bland, plastic-lined, safe-space, hermetically-sealed, environmentally-friendly, electrically-buzzing world that resembles the 2008 movie - Wall E.

There is something visceral, majestic and awe-inspiring about a massive firework display. They have been around for over a thousand years and will not be supplanted by drones, though I am sure there will be those who will suggest suggest they should.

Right after they get through 'replacing' delivery trucks, cargo ships, jet aircraft, delivery vans, UPS, FedEx USPS
You left out personal vehicles😀

I say - a chicken in every pot and a four-person octocopter in every driveway! 😱

Sure. Right after they get through 'replacing' delivery trucks, cargo ships, jet aircraft, delivery vans, UPS, FedEx USPS and of course; all forms of human existence as we know it. :rolleyes:🤬 ;) I keed, I keed.

😏Sorry for the rant but; WHY is it they have to REPLACE anything? What is the motive to suggest that a technology that is literally in it's infancy (compared to things they are rumored to replace in the near future), is somehow going to change so much that has existed and been established over centuries and I am not just talking about firework displays. Never mind.

I have been a remote pilot for almost 45 years. I've had businesses directly tied to this craft for almost 30 of those years, I have invested my life into what has become 'drones' so I am in no way against their evolution. However.

Why can't 'drones' become part of our world instead of replacing it? To me the drones shows are very impressive on their own merit, but they are not anything like, or near, a firework display and they never will be. A drone show is like reading a tech blog while watching a firework display is akin to watching a blockbuster movie like Maverick Top Gun - no comparison. I still like reading about tech, but when I go to a movie I expect what only it can deliver.

Maybe I am sentimental but I would never want to live in a bland, plastic-lined, safe-space, hermetically-sealed, environmentally-friendly, electrically-buzzing world that resembles the 2008 movie - Wall E.

There is something visceral, majestic and awe-inspiring about a massive firework display. They have been around for over a thousand years and will not be supplanted by drones, though I am sure there will be those who will suggest suggest they should.
Because quite simply fireworks have a large number of downsides (air pollution, ground pollution, waste, risk of fires, terrifying animals) especially in drought areas some of which are an increasing concern in the current climate. Therefore alternatives without these downsides have been sought after and drones can do that although there are others like laser shows that some have used instead.

Because quite simply fireworks have a large number of downsides (air pollution, ground pollution, waste, risk of fires, terrifying animals) especially in drought areas some of which are an increasing concern in the current climate. Therefore alternatives without these downsides have been sought after and drones can do that although there are others like laser shows that some have used instead.
Plus, as we see every day on the news, bangs tend to accompany death and destruction (even in nature). And then you've got the antisocial use of fireworks, often against the emergency services.

On a negative side, what would happen if even just one or more of the drones were targetted with a GPS jammer just like the ones currently being used in Ukraine & they drift out of control, possible collateral damage if collisions occur & fall near any crowds etc, in this crazy world we live in there is always some lunatic out there to do such things, & the more these types of displays are in use, the greater the chance of it happening.

Drone shows are extremely cool, but I have to think the production costs might be much greater than fireworks. In addition to the programming, which I suppose can be used over and over again, the cost of the drones has to be substantial. I'd love to know which drones the light shows use. Obviously they have a finely tuned GPS system to be able to hold specific positions in relation to the other drones. Us DJI pilots are impressed when our camera drones land 3 ft within homepoint. I would think that a lot more precise positioning would be required.

But as others have said, drone shows won't necessarily replace fireworks. And let us not forget that the fireworks represent "the bombs bursting mid-air"; something that a drone show could never truly represent.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet