DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wireless broadcasting to a TV

What i've been preparing(haven't actually RECEIVED the mavic yet) is a raspberry pi 3 with a 12v monitor.
I wanted to display the stuff i'm recording while out on the road. So i've set the pi up to use it's internal wifi connector to broadcast a wifi network that i can connect to with my phone, then broadcast to a rtmp server that a VLC window automatically connects to and displays on the monitor.

I haven't been able to test the latency yet though, as i don't have the mavic yet.

Any luck locating or getting a report from Robomasters?
I'm currently trying to reverse engineer goggles to extract the video.
Much easier if I had a premade box!

Reactions: AnzacJack
That doesn't look wireless to me, even though it says wireless.

I don't think that would allow me to wander outdoors with my RC to fly the craft while others watch the Patio TV in the back yard. I think I would need to be near the device. I have an iPad also, not compatible with this Microsoft product. It appears this is only PC compatible, not Android or iOS.

The wireless module is built into the cable (inside one of the connectors). One end goes to the HDMI port on your TV, the other goes to a USB port on the TV (for power). Your laptop or mobile device then communicates with it over some sort of wi-fi connection they call "miracast."

Any luck locating or getting a report from Robomasters?
I'm currently trying to reverse engineer goggles to extract the video.
Much easier if I had a premade box!
DJI told me they have no plans to produce the RoboMaster OcuSync receiver for a consumer product. I think it's reserved only for their robotics club for some reason. It's interesting that OcuSync apparently came out of the robotics club they have and I guess it was deemed better than previous Lightbridge for some reason. I have noticed that OcuSync signal fades with distance more gradually in Mavic, versus P4P the signal will drop like a rock, suddenly, even though it has LOS connection. The signal degradation is more linear with Mavic than P4P, has anyone else noticed that? I find it interesting there are competing wireless communications technologies within DJI. It will be interesting to see if P5 uses OcuSync or the current P4P type Lightbridge for communications.

I have noticed that OcuSync signal fades with distance more gradually in Mavic, versus P4P the signal will drop like a rock, suddenly, even though it has LOS connection. The signal degradation is more linear with Mavic than P4P, has anyone else noticed that?
Yes I do. I agree with your observation.

As for streaming to TV, I've tried AirPlay to stream live video to my TV. But apparently it's a bit too much for the iPhone 6 Plus to handle. Sometimes the image on the iphone becomes jittery and the one on the TV also. Maybe if using iphone 7 it would be better as it has better processor? I believe the jitter is not due to wifi. I almost always use wifi on the phone while flying and it never cause any problem, even when doing long flights of over 4km (2.5mi) away.

Yes I do. I agree with your observation.

As for streaming to TV, I've tried AirPlay to stream live video to my TV. But apparently it's a bit too much for the iPhone 6 Plus to handle. Sometimes the image on the iphone becomes jittery and the one on the TV also. Maybe if using iphone 7 it would be better as it has better processor? I believe the jitter is not due to wifi. I almost always use wifi on the phone while flying and it never cause any problem, even when doing long flights of over 4km (2.5mi) away.
The other night at a friends house he was streaming one of my whale and dolphin videos from his iPhone to his big screen TV using airplay, because he didn't know how to use YouTube in his DishNetwork setup. The Airplay streaming looked like crap, worse than 720. Normally with YouTube it's pristine clear 1080 footage. I'm not an airplay fan because of that demonstration. It's certainly not as good as ChromeCast clarity to duplicate the phone screen on the big screen.

DJI told me they have no plans to produce the RoboMaster OcuSync receiver for a consumer product. I think it's reserved only for their robotics club for some reason. It's interesting that OcuSync apparently came out of the robotics club they have and I guess it was deemed better than previous Lightbridge for some reason. I have noticed that OcuSync signal fades with distance more gradually in Mavic, versus P4P the signal will drop like a rock, suddenly, even though it has LOS connection. The signal degradation is more linear with Mavic than P4P, has anyone else noticed that? I find it interesting there are competing wireless communications technologies within DJI. It will be interesting to see if P5 uses OcuSync or the current P4P type Lightbridge for communications.
What P5? Sounds like vaporware to me... :p

The other night at a friends house he was streaming one of my whale and dolphin videos from his iPhone to his big screen TV using airplay, because he didn't know how to use YouTube in his DishNetwork setup. The Airplay streaming looked like crap, worse than 720. Normally with YouTube it's pristine clear 1080 footage. I'm not an airplay fan because of that demonstration. It's certainly not as good as ChromeCast clarity to duplicate the phone screen on the big screen.

There is two different types of "airplay" which you do from the phone.
One is AirPlay Mirroring, the option you get on the same page of control centre as the options such as brightness, nightshift, Airdrop etc, and then you swipe across to the right where you'll find the media playing page, and down the bottom is another airplay.
Airplay mirroring is much slower and lower res than the second one, because it is displaying the phone's whole screen, and there is much more data crunching for the device.
However, using the second option, it will only send media to the Apple TV when you press play on a movie. And this is usually flawless and HD.
It used to work with videos from my Photo Library, but since an update sometime maybe last year, I can only get it to play vids to airplay with the Mirroring option, which is crap res and laggy.

It's important to make sure the quality setting of the YouTube video playing on the iPhone is the highest available, and supported by the TV. My iPhone will do 1440p on a 4K 2160p video, but cannot stream that through the 1080p Apple TV to the 1080p TV. I have to first lower the quality setting in YouTube from 1440p to 1080p. The default initial YouTube quality setting while playing a YouTube video on an iPhone is usually quite low, even 480p at times. Manually change it to 1080p Quality in the YouTube player, and try again over the Apple TV. With the new 4K Apple TV, this will all change, as it has its own YouTube app and can Airplay stream full 4K to a 4K TV. It's also going to be $179!

So with this Apple TV Dont you need a dedicated router to be able to stream to the TV from the Ipad ?

When I was at CES last week, DJI was demonstrating their Mavic Pro indoors. Part of that demo was the ability to broadcast the video from the craft that was linked to a "Robomasters" receiver they had there, and displaying 1080 video to a TV. This was going on simultaneously while the pilot has his video feed like normal. The DJI guy in the cage explained the craft video was linked to the RC and the video receiver. He also said the receiver was commercially available, but I can't find it. The video receiver has "Robomasters" embosses right on the device, It looked very much like a home DSL modem with Wifi antennas...
Man this post caught my interest, and was sorry to read it is not commercially available. As DJI figured out, you can't rely on screen sharing and YouTube streaming if you want a quality video feed for an event. So they designed something for themselves.

The Mavic is such a convenient drone for events (small, quiet, good battery life) it would be a perfect platform for streaming at an event, but there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to do it. A producer of an event won't want to deal with an erratic connection or a mirror of the phone screen showing all the instrumentation. I know you can go to full screen to remove instrumentation, but that's still not an ideal solution and AppleTalk is okay as a novelty, but not good enough for an event. That RoboMaster receiver sounds like it would have been perfect.

...The only way to put the image on the screen is to tether the RC to the TV via HDMI, and the max length is about 30' for HDMI. This is problematic for entertainment purposes ....
Does that work on the Mavic?

I had researched that option and reports were that the bottom port will not output video with a USB-to-HDMI cable. (I think you can get something like that to work on the Phantoms)

Does that work on the Mavic?

I had researched that option and reports were that the bottom port will not output video with a USB-to-HDMI cable. (I think you can get something like that to work on the Phantoms)

You can add an HDMI out to a P4 controller -- it comes included with the P4P+. I have mine hooked up to a flat screen on the porch for backyard missions LOL.
unnamed.jpg

Yeah but that doesn't exist for the Mavic.

You can use a Crystalsky and its HDMI output. You can't get a completely clean output though.

You can add an HDMI out to a P4 controller -- it comes included with the P4P+...
Does that setup work on a Mavic?
I just used my new apple TV 4K with my Ipad and it works well.
For an event, you need a clean video feed. None of the flight instrumentation popping up even for an instant (I know you can go to "full screen").
Regarding how good it is, I guess it depends how good your Wifi is, but in my case it isn't a reliable video connection. It seems to work mostly good when I send a YouTube video or something, but when I mirror the phone, the quality is variable.

For novelty, though. Yes. Not bad for letting the folks on the couch see it.

I just used my new apple TV 4K with my Ipad and it works well.
Just tried it from my iPhone 7+, and it was a novelty at best.
In that, it was interesting to watch so people could see what was going on, but the video was not smooth.

For example, if I did a slow pan of the camera, on my screen it would be smooth, but on the AppleTV it would be jerky. It would seem to jump ahead every second. When I hovered still it could show movement, but when you change the entire image (all the pixels change, not just 5%) it bogs down.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has better results. When you fly the Mavic and move the camera do you have a smooth video feed? I expected there to be a delay (which there was) but didn't expect the jerkiness. Also, of course, the video to your iPhone from the Mavic is only 1080, right? So even on a new AppleTV (which gets 4K) you are still limited by the normal video link which I think would look grainy on a big screen. I haven't messed with the hi-res video stream options.

Just tried it from my iPhone 7+, and it was a novelty at best.
In that, it was interesting to watch so people could see what was going on, but the video was not smooth.

For example, if I did a slow pan of the camera, on my screen it would be smooth, but on the AppleTV it would be jerky. It would seem to jump ahead every second. When I hovered still it could show movement, but when you change the entire image (all the pixels change, not just 5%) it bogs down.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has better results. When you fly the Mavic and move the camera do you have a smooth video feed? I expected there to be a delay (which there was) but didn't expect the jerkiness. Also, of course, the video to your iPhone from the Mavic is only 1080, right? So even on a new AppleTV (which gets 4K) you are still limited by the normal video link which I think would look grainy on a big screen. I haven't messed with the hi-res video stream options.
ARE YOU USING APPLE TV 4TH GEN ? AND MY PICTURE IS VERY CLEAR LIKE THE MAVIC SEE’S IT

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev