DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would someone please settle this..can a landowner shoot down our drones or not?

Think the first point to consider is what country you are in.

In the UK, to own and operate a firearm you need a FAC, shooting is strictly controlled and you will almost definitely lose your license if you discharge your fire arm into the air and especially if that is at someone else's property (drone), shotguns are less controlled but still need a shotgun certificate, and although you of course can shoot into the air for clay pigeons or controlling vermin... once again I am sure you will be in deep trouble discharging it at someone else's property...

Using an air rifle (under 12 foot pounds energy) does not require a license but the pellets are not allowed to leave your property... shooting in the air can almost certainly not guarantee that so you would probably be breaking the law shooting at a drone with an air rifle too... once again I'm sure that shooting at some else's property would be a huge no-no

I think the law would say call the police if another person is being a nuisance...

I myself think that the person shooting had better keep enough ammo for me also and be prepared to use it ... if he harms my Mavic I will almost certainly slap seven shades of sh1t out of him!

Think the first point to consider is what country you are in.

In the UK, to own and operate a firearm you need a FAC, shooting is strictly controlled and you will almost definitely lose your license if you discharge your fire arm into the air and especially if that is at someone else's property (drone), shotguns are less controlled but still need a shotgun certificate, and although you of course can shoot into the air for clay pigeons or controlling vermin... once again I am sure you will be in deep trouble discharging it at someone else's property...

Using an air rifle (under 12 foot pounds energy) does not require a license but the pellets are not allowed to leave your property... shooting in the air can almost certainly not guarantee that so you would probably be breaking the law shooting at a drone with an air rifle too... once again I'm sure that shooting at some else's property would be a huge no-no

I think the law would say call the police if another person is being a nuisance...

I myself think that the person shooting had better keep enough ammo for me also and be prepared to use it ... if he harms my Mavic I will almost certainly slap seven shades of sh1t out of him!

It is a shame there are places with such restriction on personal freedoms that you almost have to get a permit to defecate.

Reactions: CplMulder
A Mavic is not an aircraft.

Otherwise you'd go to prison for drinking while flying a Mavic.

If you are a part 107 approved sUAS pilot, you may not have any alcoholic beverages within 8 hours of flying your MAVIC. And yes, the MAVIC is considered to be an aircraft.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

A homeowner recently shot down a Drone which flew over his house it was carrying a DSLR camera and he was arrested because as per the FAA "regardless of the situation shooting at any aircraft including unmanned aircraft hit by gunfire could crash causing damage to persons or property on the ground or it could collide with other objects in the air". This information could have been obtained online GIYF

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Interesting that nobody has mentioned the inherent danger of firing a weapon into the air. Jimbobjo shoots at little Johnny's Mavvie flying over his house and the bullet lands some miles away and kills someone. THAT is the real problem with anyone 'fixin' to blow someone's drone out of the air.
Especially in a residential area.

Especially in a residential area.

Specially that such a small moving target might be quite hard to hit even on trained marksmen. Let say 100 or 200 meters far away from the shooter Mavic cruising at 20kph, its quite a hard to hit. and yeah a lost bullet can injure, kill or damage other property.

So yes, its illegal to try to down a drone with a firearm.

Specially that such a small moving target might be quite hard to hit even on trained marksmen. Let say 100 or 200 meters far away from the shooter Mavic cruising at 20kph, its quite a hard to hit. and yeah a lost bullet can injure, kill or damage other property.

So yes, its illegal to try to down a drone with a firearm.
Yep I mean if you watch youtube videos where people purposely shoot at drones at a gun range, most of the time they don't even hit it the first time. Now take into account a home owner that's pissed enough to shoot at a drone over his property, hes raging probably not concentrating that hard on the drone and he fires off a bunch of shots and probably misses with most of those shots.

Just started looking at this thread. Don't have time to read all the posts (just kind of scanned them) but I figure with so many replies that the answer to the original question is... NO, no one can settle this.

(Bad example, there are specific laws carved out about amateur radio... even homeowners associations can't deny that.)

We're all growing donkey ears here.

We all know there are gun laws and ordinances either prohibiting or controlling discharging firearms in public, near roadways, at someone else's private property, etc., in every incorporated area and state and nation on the planet. So what? As has been stated and re-stated here, there are no fixed, hard and fast rules or answers about what's going to happen when a drone is shot down. Period.

To my way of thinking, most of these drone shootings ARE happening in 'shotgun country,' places where grabbing a shotgun and running out the door to confront a problem is normal. To my knowledge drones are not being shot down by gang-bangers, your average suburban or urban dweller, or folks living near parks, country clubs or golf courses. The average drone shooters tend to look like the same kinds of people with either just a different shade of red on their neck or wearing a different long-sleeved flannel shirt with a different colored ripped tee-shirt.

Local law matters such as illegal gun shooting or someone shooting down a drone in these kinds of areas are always handled locally by the locals themselves, which results in the arresting officer, the Judge, the defendant and even the witnesses always having more leeway than usual in Court and the laws being interpreted and administered as the locals see fit.

FACT: Very few people are capable of hitting a flying drone with a rifle or handgun bullet. Only folks who shoot often and purposefully can do that. FYI: And bullets DO NOT have the killing power or shooting distances I've seen some people quote here, either. They are capable of covering great distances, yes, but only a few select bullets go on for "miles."

FACT: Shotguns - the usual culprits - are great close up but suck at any considerable distance because of its lack of power and the quick spreading of its pellets. Bird shot, for example, has about a 40" spread at 40 yards, and an effective impact range at about that distance, too. Shooting 00 buck shot (deer hunting, etc.) gives you an effective killing range of about 35 yards. If a deer was 60/75 yards away you may hurt him a little if your shotgun pellet spread even touched him, which becomes doubtful at that distance because more than likely the buckshot would just sail on by him harmlessly.

FACT: IF you're following the FAA regs in the first place, then either no shotgun would even be able to touch you or maneuvering away from a second blast from a gun-wielding moron would be a piece of cake. You'd have to be in the wrong place at the right time to be a target.

Everything we have written here and in other similar threads doesn't amount to a hill of beans because the folks doing the shooting don't read in the first place and the laws - and not just drone laws - are still being enforced by biased, uneducated, inconsistent individuals who always have their own freedom of choice and exercise it daily in the course of their daily jobs. Watcha gonna do?

We're all growing donkey ears here.

We all know there are gun laws and ordinances either prohibiting or controlling discharging firearms in public, near roadways, at someone else's private property, etc., in every incorporated area and state and nation on the planet. So what? As has been stated and re-stated here, there are no fixed, hard and fast rules or answers about what's going to happen when a drone is shot down. Period.

To my way of thinking, most of these drone shootings ARE happening in 'shotgun country,' places where grabbing a shotgun and running out the door to confront a problem is normal. To my knowledge drones are not being shot down by gang-bangers, your average suburban or urban dweller, or folks living near parks, country clubs or golf courses. The average drone shooters tend to look like the same kinds of people with either just a different shade of red on their neck or wearing a different long-sleeved flannel shirt with a different colored ripped tee-shirt.

Local law matters such as illegal gun shooting or someone shooting down a drone in these kinds of areas are always handled locally by the locals themselves, which results in the arresting officer, the Judge, the defendant and even the witnesses always having more leeway than usual in Court and the laws being interpreted and administered as the locals see fit.

FACT: Very few people are capable of hitting a flying drone with a rifle or handgun bullet. Only folks who shoot often and purposefully can do that. FYI: And bullets DO NOT have the killing power or shooting distances I've seen some people quote here, either. They are capable of covering great distances, yes, but only a few select bullets go on for "miles."

FACT: Shotguns - the usual culprits - are great close up but suck at any considerable distance because of its lack of power and the quick spreading of its pellets. Bird shot, for example, has about a 40" spread at 40 yards, and an effective impact range at about that distance, too. Shooting 00 buck shot (deer hunting, etc.) gives you an effective killing range of about 35 yards. If a deer was 60/75 yards away you may hurt him a little if your shotgun pellet spread even touched him, which becomes doubtful at that distance because more than likely the buckshot would just sail on by him harmlessly.

FACT: IF you're following the FAA regs in the first place, then either no shotgun would even be able to touch you or maneuvering away from a second blast from a gun-wielding moron would be a piece of cake. You'd have to be in the wrong place at the right time to be a target.

Everything we have written here and in other similar threads doesn't amount to a hill of beans because the folks doing the shooting don't read in the first place and the laws - and not just drone laws - are still being enforced by biased, uneducated, inconsistent individuals who always have their own freedom of choice and exercise it daily in the course of their daily jobs. Watcha gonna do?

Disregarding the odds a .22 LR is dangerous over a mile. Lethal, no, but dangerous.

Reactions: CC Rider
Disregarding the odds a .22 LR is dangerous over a mile. Lethal, no, but dangerous.

Yes, a .22 can travel quite a distance and so can a standard .306. And just as you correctly stated, a LR .22 is dangerous if not lethal up to mile; a .306 can go even further and retain its deadly strength.

From what I've learned, .22s are notorious for causing trouble due to their range as well as how they easily flatten out and ricochet like crazy. Shoot someone in the arm and there's no telling where the bullet may bounce around or exit if it hits bone.

But as you obviously know since you know your guns, handguns don't have that kind of range or power. They lose velocity relatively quickly and accuracy What I saw in this thread was a general belief that ALL guns and rifle bullets go for "miles," something I thought needed clarification.

Sent that too soon. I want to add that I live in a rural, coastal country area heavily populated that has certain customs, one of which is to shoot guns at midnight in the air on New Years Eve. I'm 57 years old, they've been doing this since before I was born in every community surrounding me for miles and no one has ever been hurt yet. Just thought folks should know the reality of the situation.

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
.... oh and handguns are totally illegal except for the army and certain police units

With all those restrictions and laws there should never be any worry about someone misusing a gun
(Bad example, there are specific laws carved out about amateur radio... even homeowners associations can't deny that.)

If you want to argue semantics then let's say a windmill tower . I live in the country so what's a homeowner association ? LOL

Reactions: CC Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky