DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WT actual ****!!

I had this happen the other day, luckily it was when the Mavic was only 10 feet off the ground. I landed, first tried power cycling the controller with the app still running, that did nothing. Then I power cycled the Mavic and the app reconnected and got video again. I think if this happens without line of sight, return to home on the controller is your best bet. I still had full controller controls, seems to be buggy software on the mavic or app...

Except not since it's the RC controller, not the app, that gives you the visual and audible confirmation that RTH is in progress...
Exactly. Sometimes I have to wonder about the large amount of misinformation being spewed here. It's pure hell...

Reactions: cmoney1976
I also use RTH often without it actually landing as well. If you lose track of your Mavic, just hold down RTH on the controller to bring it back. Then once you get your eyes on it, a single press of the controllers RTH button will cancel the automated return to home. The aircraft will hover and you can retake manual control. This is useful if you didn't take off with precision RTH and have some obstacles like trees which are better maneuvered manually. Just use RTH temporarily to get it back overhead, cancel, continue flying, or bring it in.

Reactions: sacballa
I have used RTH on many occasions, but I have never had my iPhone 6+ or the app crash on me in 300+ flights (knock, knock). I test RTH when in close (LOS) to make sure its working, and sometimes when I am far out I will switch to sport mode and hit it for a fast return (lazy :) )
Whether you are in sport mode or not makes no difference in the speed at which the mavic flies home under its own control in a RTH scenario.

Why was I worried?
Because it shouldn't have happened and in the moment that it did I didn't know what the **** was going on and I was **** scared, "is this what happens when one of those crazy flyaways occurs?"
Once I realised I still had control of the craft via the handset, I felt a little better.
I got it home, but flying blind, still very concerned at what was happening, was no fun.
It shouldn't have happened and was a deliberate result of DJI changes.
I'm still worried about that and what they might do next, that effects a couple of thousand of my dollars!
You need to become more comfortable with RTH. Make sure your settings are correct for the environment you're flying in (max height, what happens if it comes across an obstacle, return to home or controller, what happens if radio signal is lost, etc). It would have been much safer to have your drone fly itself back than you blindly trying to fly it back to you.

Reactions: McMavic
I use a iPad Mini 2 and have never had a app crash I used my Droid Turbo 2 before and had crashes all the time

Ok now, some people aren't there yet. We have all had our scare and save and some of us have had a scare and Crash and some have had a few of each but be easy on the ones who haven't because we all know it has or will happen when you clinch up because your Mavic decides it's not a PRO anymore. [emoji15] [emoji16] [emoji26] [emoji23] [emoji24]

Weird, I switched to iphone/iPad due to Android always crashing on me every flight (S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab S2 8").

Have not had a single issue with tie IOS device YET - however, you shouldn't be getting cheeky and flying so far away until you know that its got a clear RTH path and enough battery to do so. basically you should prepare for disconnects on long flights. Also the "limit" is very dynamic in different locations depending on interference and obstacles etc.

I was surprised when I saw the 2.5 star rating for iOS because this is way better than android.

About to start looking through all the Litchi threads to see comparisons

And just for the record: YES mostly all of the "flyaways" are simply user error.

Last edited:
Airplane mode is how you want to fly it in as stated above. you can cache all the maps prior to flight.

The last thing you want is a phone call or interference from the phone screwing with the signal to/from the remote.

Think of a speaker that your phone lays next to prior to it starting to ring, the buzzing you hear is interference.

I will post the steps I take with my 6s+. It's been covered before.

So I have the 6S+ as well, and this is what i do before each flight and haven't had any image transmission errors since doing these steps:

It may not work for everyone, but as soon as the transmission error came up I did a little research and compiled these steps to correct my problem. Hope this helps.

-Take case off IPhone (I find it sits in the Mavic controller better for a more secure connection)
-Turn on Mavic Controller
-Turn on DJI App
-Turn on Mavic (let it initialize IMU, then calibrate compass)

Then.....

Go into settings on IPhone:

-Turn Airplane Mode on
-Turn Low Power Mode off
-Make sure there aren't any background apps running before returning to DJI App.
-Take off and enjoy

Reactions: Gray_seagull
If Go4 crashes, could one simply switch to Litchi? Have both but thinking it might be a good backup to have a second app though never had to test it.

So I have the 6S+ as well, and this is what i do before each flight and haven't had any image transmission errors since doing these steps:

It may not work for everyone, but as soon as the transmission error came up I did a little research and compiled these steps to correct my problem. Hope this helps.

-Take case off IPhone (I find it sits in the Mavic controller better for a more secure connection)
-Turn on Mavic Controller
-Turn on DJI App
-Turn on Mavic (let it initialize IMU, then calibrate compass)

Then.....

Go into settings on IPhone:

-Turn Airplane Mode on
-Turn Low Power Mode off
-Make sure there aren't any background apps running before returning to DJI App.
-Take off and enjoy

I'm glad that works for you.

I use both iPhone 6 and iPad mini 3 for basic flying and a iPad Pro with GS Pro for missions, never had a problem since ditching the useless DJI supplied Lightning cable.

Don't do anything special, don't turn off phone or data or kill all other apps, just works every time me.

I'm glad that works for you.

I use both iPhone 6 and iPad mini 3 for basic flying and a iPad Pro with GS Pro for missions, never had a problem since ditching the useless DJI supplied Lightning cable.

Don't do anything special, don't turn off phone or data or kill all other apps, just works every time me.
Oh, I'm not being condescending or argumentative. OP asked what was happening I offered a solution that works at least for iPhone. the last thing I want when $1000USD I spent is flying around is a telephone call/text/email notification coming in to interrupt my display. Not everyone is in the position to double up with a phone and tablet tethered by hotspot to not have to implement the solution I posted above.

That solution is for people that use one device to enjoy their investment without worry of intermittent display issues. Have a good day and happy flying.

I use android and it this happens almost every flight. No big deal. Just restart the app. The app is not controlling your flight, the controller is. You don't even need the app to fly it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin