DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

£16.50 for licence to own a drone in the UK

I for one won't be paying this ridiculous robbing tax.
They have been pushing this fake news agenda for months so they can push this money maker scheme.
I have filled the forms out venting my anger against it on the CAA website.

Frankly, I'm expecting a rethink, and not just on the fee structure. While the fees are a major issue, the reaction in general seems quite negative. They also have no idea who most pilots are and need them to volunteer their information, and the chances of getting caught without registering seem awfully low; Gatwick and all the other incidents (real or not) are evidence of that. Not a good combination for broad uptake, is it? Sweeten the pot and make it worthwhile to register and they might get somewhere, but I suspect they've just made that task a lot harder to achieve.
I'm hoping for a re-think because there is just a lot of 'not-thought-out' rubbish in the document. I still can't understand how they can base uptake of the reg' scheme by comparing it to the USA and Ireland, where registration is $5 for 3 years from age 13, and Euro 5 for 2 years from age 16 ... I also don't see how they think that [section 3.15] a firearms license at £62 for 5 years (£12.40 p.a.), is cheaper than their proposed £16.50 p.a.??
Based on the fact that there's a lot more to do for an initial set up and registration, I'd like to see them propose an initial reg' fee of e.g. £15, but then renewals of £5 ... Something like that ...
I've actually submitted two lots of feedback on-line now ... The first a reactive rant, and the second, a more thoughtful rant!!

I've actually submitted two lots of feedback on-line now ... The first a reactive rant, and the second, a more thoughtful rant!!

Yeah, I'd classify my feedback as a "thoughtful rant" too, although "constructive WTF are you thinking?" may be a more accurate description. Well, what I eventually submitted was; the first pass was definitely heavier on rant and much less constructive.

I guess we now just have to wait and see what they do. Past form with recent UK government says they'll tweak it very slightly and take a "just deal with it!" attitude. Problem is, the reception is so bad and the chances of getting caught so slim, I suspect they'll get a lot of people opting out on principle if they do.

And, don't forget, this is just one aspect of a larger package, so there's probably more to come.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Yeah, I'd classify my feedback as a "thoughtful rant" too, although "constructive WTF are you thinking?" may be a more accurate description. Well, what I eventually submitted was; the first pass was definitely heavier on rant and much less constructive.

I guess we now just have to wait and see what they do. Past form with recent UK government says they'll tweak it very slightly and take a "just deal with it!" attitude. Problem is, the reception is so bad and the chances of getting caught so slim, I suspect they'll get a lot of people opting out on principle if they do.

And, don't forget, this is just one aspect of a larger package, so there's probably more to come.
My concern about not registering is that if the take-up is low, then CAA will advise the Police of such. That means that ANY small complaint from any member of the Public about anybody flying a drone will bring down the Spanish Inquisition! If you are found flying without reg' then again - due to low takeup, they will want to make an example of you. Bam - Do not pass Go, Pay £1000 to get out of Jail. Ouch!!

My concern about not registering is that if the take-up is low, then CAA will advise the Police of such. That means that ANY small complaint from any member of the Public about anybody flying a drone will bring down the Spanish Inquisition! If you are found flying without reg' then again - due to low takeup, they will want to make an example of you. Bam - Do not pass Go, Pay £1000 to get out of Jail. Ouch!!

Probably, but I suspect the limited flight time of drones and the generally slow response times of the police when there's not much of a threat to life and limb still tilt the odds firmly in the favour of the unregistered pilot. It's also a matter of principle, which tends to make more people dig in their heels. I'm sure a lot of it is just forum talk and many will just grumpily pay up when the time comes, but there's always going to be a few, especially if the odds of avoiding getting caught seem OK.

What bothers me more about that scenario isn't the unregistered pilots and their roll of the dice; it's the effect that will have on those who are registered. How many registered pilots flying perfectly legally are going to be challenged for ID and miss a shot as a result? Once again, it seems the likely outcome would be the legal pilots having to pay for the misdeeds of others.

I wonder if I’ll get away with not paying the £16.50 charge, it said only people aged 18 and over can apply.

I don’t look to bad for a 16 year old??

Reactions: old man mavic
What bothers me more about that scenario isn't the unregistered pilots and their roll of the dice; it's the effect that will have on those who are registered. How many registered pilots flying perfectly legally are going to be challenged for ID and miss a shot as a result? Once again, it seems the likely outcome would be the legal pilots having to pay for the misdeeds of others.
Well - that just describes this whole scenario! We are paying for all those posted YouTube video's showing rule-breaking flights and close-ups of aircraft on final approaches & take-offs ...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition

it does not really matter what our feelings are about the CAA plans, at the end of the day some sort of registration is going to be implemented in the UK.

and it will be up to the individual UAV operators to decide if they are going to comply or not, we are all going to have to pay the price for the actions of a few

Reactions: Porky
it does not really matter what our feelings are about the CAA plans, at the end of the day some sort of registration is going to be implemented in the UK.

and it will be up to the individual UAV operators to decide if they are going to comply or not, we are all going to have to pay the price for the actions of a few

Yep and it’s gonna be £16.50 regardless. I don’t know the full in’s and out’s of it but I really don’t care about all the political stuff, as long as I pay the registration, which I will.?

Like what someone else said in an earlier post about a fishing licence, you’ve got to pay for your hobby so we’ll be doing the same thing come this November. Just can’t see what all the fuss is about personally.

How I look at it, if you don’t like the idea of paying, don’t fly your drone? or fly it illegally, the choice is yours?

Even my “Alexa Show” is telling me all about it now??? and I believe everything she tells me??

Yep and it’s gonna be £16.50 regardless. I don’t know the full in’s and out’s of it but I really don’t care about all the political stuff, as long as I pay the registration, which I will.?

Like what someone else said in an earlier post about a fishing licence, you’ve got to pay for your hobby so we’ll be doing the same thing come this November. Just can’t see what all the fuss is about personally.

How I look at it, if you don’t like the idea of paying, don’t fly your drone? or fly it illegally, the choice is yours?

Even my “Alexa Show” is telling me all about it now??? and I believe everything she tells me??
I was tempted to compare this to a fishing license too - but then I remembered that instead of all the gated and fenced off lakes and riverbanks that are looked after and welcome fishermen into them with open arms - we get gates with "No Drone Zone" notices on them, people accusing us of being part of the 'Gatwick Gang', and those who want to shoot our drone down with a shotgun! (which only costs £9.80 a year to license!). I too will pay my reg' fee, but I would be really nice if it actually gave us access to the open air, and permission to fly our drones! I'm just seeing nothing change in regard to Councils arbitrarily closing Public parks to recreational drone pilots, and no support from CAA for anything other than how to pay the Tax!

People in Ireland are able to register their drones if they are over 16, and pay just 5 Euro's for two years, people in the USA are able to register at 13 and $5 gets them 3 years ... When you compare to other established International registration schemes, you have to agree, that the CAA is age-restricting & pricing this over the top - and providing zero to the Drone Operators in return!

I was tempted to compare this to a fishing license too - but then I remembered that instead of all the gated and fenced off lakes and riverbanks that are looked after and welcome fishermen into them with open arms - we get gates with "No Drone Zone" notices on them, people accusing us of being part of the 'Gatwick Gang', and those who want to shoot our drone down with a shotgun! (which only costs £9.80 a year to license!). I too will pay my reg' fee, but I would be really nice if it actually gave us access to the open air, and permission to fly our drones! I'm just seeing nothing change in regard to Councils arbitrarily closing Public parks to recreational drone pilots, and no support from CAA for anything other than how to pay the Tax!

People in Ireland are able to register their drones if they are over 16, and pay just 5 Euro's for two years, people in the USA are able to register at 13 and $5 gets them 3 years ... When you compare to other established International registration schemes, you have to agree, that the CAA is age-restricting & pricing this over the top - and providing zero to the Drone Operators in return!

Yep, you are definitely right with your statement but long story short, we got to pay it, well the decent people will.

I’ve been flying drones now for the last five years, free of charge which has been great so this little change that’s coming into affect in November really doesn’t bother me in the slightest. As I said in my last post, if you enjoy your hobby, the £16.50 ish shouldn’t be a problem.

If I had no internet, how would I be told to register and pay? Who tells 'them' that I've got a drone? I want something in the mail telling me I've got register!!

"They" do not know who has a drone, the CAA admits as much in its proposal, stating they have no idea how many drone owners there are in the UK.

If you are out flying, and something occurs which results in the police being involved, they will want to see your registration. Only at that point will they know whether you registered or not. So could be anything from a passing police officer with some spare time to kill, to you crashing into someone or a complaint being made against you.

Clearly if you do not register, the chances of you being caught is small - a bit like driving a car with no licence, people mostly only get caught for that if they are involved in an accident.

If I had no internet, how would I be told to register and pay? Who tells 'them' that I've got a drone? I want something in the mail telling me I've got register!!

Watch this space, I guess. There hasn't been much public discussion by the CAA over how the actual registration and testing process will work yet, although "online" has been mentioned repeatedly. Maybe there will be a postal option, or maybe you'll be expected to use a computer at your local (or not so local) library to register. Then there are corner cases; how will they cater for a blind drone "operator" who employs pilots or lets their kids fly it? The registration process needs to cope with all sorts of such scenarios.

As for publicising it... Yeah, that's going to be interesting since they have no idea who owns drones which probably rules out a mailshot given their figures - such as they are - estimate ownership at less than 0.2% of the population. Notices in relevant sections of the media, banner ads on larger community websites such as this one, and posted to registered flying clubs perhaps? Anyone know what other countries like Ireland, France, or the US did, because being the UK I suspect it'll be less than that but cost several times as much...

It’s also been advertised on the TV quite a while back when the Gatwick scenario happened so it’s only courteous if you’re a drone flyer you would look into it further.

It does seem to be common knowledge regarding the licence, I’ve even had “Joe pubic” come up to me while flying with loads of questions and 99% of the time the licence thingy always gets bought up. Now that’s from someone that doesn’t fly drones.

Last edited:
"They" do not know who has a drone, the CAA admits as much in its proposal, stating they have no idea how many drone owners there are in the UK.

If you are out flying, and something occurs which results in the police being involved, they will want to see your registration. Only at that point will they know whether you registered or not. So could be anything from a passing police officer with some spare time to kill, to you crashing into someone or a complaint being made against you.

Clearly if you do not register, the chances of you being caught is small - a bit like driving a car with no licence, people mostly only get caught for that if they are involved in an accident.
I'd be careful though if the registration numbers 'seem' to be lower than expected. I would not put it past the CAA to advise the Police that registration is low, and therefore suggest they go tap any drone flyer on the shoulder and ask for papers! After the Gatwick fiasco - the Police would just love the publicity points for banging-up a load of illegal drone flyers!

I'd be careful though if the registration numbers 'seem' to be lower than expected. I would not put it past the CAA to advise the Police that registration is low, and therefore suggest they go tap any drone flyer on the shoulder and ask for papers! After the Gatwick fiasco - the Police would just love the publicity points for banging-up a load of illegal drone flyers!
You're more likely to get pulled if one or more of your drone lights is out, Plod loves nothing more than chasing up faulty tail-lights.

You're more likely to get pulled if one or more of your drone lights is out, Plod loves nothing more than chasing up faulty tail-lights.
I can just imagine the look on his/her face when you tell them that the red lights are on the front, and they go out when the video recording starts - No - they aren't brake lights!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_