DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1 mile from a 10KW long wave transmitter, would you fly ? SOLVED.. I'm not risking it

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some perspective and referring to the post#16. If I put a bit of wire in my receiver a meter away I can see spread spectrum 2.4 GHz WIFI on my 30 Mhz sdr radio and it extends way beyond the 10 mhz bandwidth of my radio and WIFI is at best putting out 500mw ?? so that's basically bypassing the filters and input attenuation so must be induction ?
?

I wouldn't worry about that transmitter, I fly Mavic Pros in MUCH higher RF fields and have never had any strange effects occur. I've flown them in front of FM broadcast antennas where the power density is actually at unsafe levels for humans. I wouldn't suggest that anyone else do it, after all these are my "work" drones that I didn't personally pay for, that frequency a mile away at 10 KW wouldn't bother me because the power density would be so small and nowhere near the frequency of the Mavic's receivers..

Last edited:
As you say 'work' drones, I invested my wife, kids, house, SUV and inheritance into this! or feels like it at least, just don't want to lose it to a banal radio station :) but you carry on I'll be interested in the results and hopefully you're permitted to do it lest your's flies off back east or worse terra firma :)

Also, to put some numbers to it, in the US the harmonics from that transmitter would be limited to about a quarter of a milliwatt, feeding that into that antenna would be really inefficient resulting in little meaningful radiation. The Wi-Fi signals around us are much stronger than that.

Yes I did, I'm a **** sorry

Have done a strike through. Interesting discussion but would FLY that was question.

My thought is, fly close and low. Low enough that if you had to dump it, it wouldn’t be that bad. If you get a certain distance away, and you start getting image drops or signal strength warnings, pull back.

Keep testing it, see what happens over the course of days/weeks.

If you can fly low and close, I don’t see where high and close would make much of a difference.

I do wish there were more connection/control related data in the black box. Who knows, maybe there is something you could track in the flight data?

I do know one guy who had his crash getting too close to a tower or power line or something, and he believes in was either power emitted or RF. Seems to be a common issue. But you’re much more likely to have the aircraft simply crash, than have a flyaway, especially with a modern drone of decent quality.

As another Amateur Radio Operator on the site and thread, I’d say watch out for both signal strength and harmonics. You really don’t know how these electronics are going to react around a higher wattage signal, regardless of the frequency.

Reactions: Tony Weller
I tried flying near a 810khz 10kw mast recently, about 500m away. Flew OK but did say it couldnt use the SD card for recording, so no video. Once home it worked fine again. Dont know if there is any connection, but that is my recent experience, for what its worth. I am also an amateur, and a professional broadcast tech, so I would try it, but very carefully. Might lose control (RTH should kick in), not record, or worse, damage receiver in AC with high sig strength, but I would doubt that too, but your choice of course.

Should not be a problem.
They are sending up drones instead of people to inspect RF towers.
Especially the 2000ft towers

View attachment 82101
This monster which is pumping out banal shite across UK shores at 909MHz 909khz (sorry for confusion)along with being close to an airport has curbed my enthusiasm for flying round here, it's a mile away and far from the 2.4GHz used for my expensive toy. Would you even bother trying? at that power there could be some nasty harmonics. I am a keen SDR-play user with a amplified magnetic induction loop antenna for short wave listening and this pisses all over it up to about 5MHz.

I tried flying near a 810khz 10kw mast recently, about 500m away. Flew OK but did say it couldnt use the SD card for recording, so no video. Once home it worked fine again. Dont know if there is any connection, but that is my recent experience, for what its worth. I am also an amateur, and a professional broadcast tech, so I would try it, but very carefully. Might lose control (RTH should kick in), not record, or worse, damage receiver in AC with high sig strength, but I would doubt that too, but your choice of course.

Hello. I also use a drone to inspect or recon communication towers. Until recently I had no problem. I have been an RF technician for 46 years and continuing. I've had a ham license in America (K4WJZ) and a reciprocal license when stationed in Germany during the late 60s. I climb communication and broadcasting towers, fly small airplanes and have a (US) commercial drone license. I have had rare bad luck with towers. Recently I've had my drone's receiver overwhelmed by some of the 5G antenna clusters on a 250 foot tall (76 meter) tower but as mentioned previously it's been rare. Last week, September 16 - 20, I had a bad experience around 5G equipment. I was searching for a small antenna amid a large number of other antennas on a tower. I, we, needed to replace one antenna with another type. I was on the West side of the tower initially and had no problem whatsoever, but then I went into an orbit move in order to reach the opposite side of the tower. At first all was good until I descended about 50 feet. I received two back to back warnings that I was receiving interference and decided to back out of the RF field. Before I could do that the drone (Mavic 2 Pro) made a rapid, out of control, half circle and began a rapid descent. During this non commanded maneuver I had no control of the drone but when it reached about 75 feet above ground I regained control, brought it to the ground and made a controlled landing on my target. My company has two Short Wave stations we are contracted to repair on occasion but usually those are shut down while our work is going on. The next time I have an opportunity to approach those sites I'll fly within a safe distance (100m) 320 feet or so and see what I get. Fortunately in my experience I get indications that there's going to be a problem and my biggest error so far is to ignore those indications. My Youtube channel is www.youtube.com/user/jhettish I have two drone videos on that channel and will soon have more.

If that transmitter is at UK grid ref ST 40024 69746 then I’ve flown less than a mile from it with no effect on control or video transmission on a number of occasions.

I have multiple active UHF transmitters and receivers that range from 400 mhz to 950 mhz. I use them in a PSAV capacity. I can't speak to the antenna in question, but I can say that on occasion, I've had issues with smaller transmitters being too close to others I have on stage and the signal will drop out. Think of it in terms of a red nightlight in a dark room. It's easy to see when all the lights are off, but if you turn on a lamp, the nightlight's red light frequency is harder to see. It's the same thing with this IMHO. I wouldn't fly very close to it. I value my drones too much.

At 909 KHz which is less than 1 MHz the chances of interference at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz would be slim to none. That is just above the AM broadcast band, and many of them run much more power than than that. Cell systems which are much closer to our frequencies, are all over the place. I would not hesitate to fly knowing that is the frequency they are on. However I wouldn't fly in that direction for worry about getting near a guy wire.

View attachment 82101
This monster which is pumping out banal shite across UK shores at 909MHz 909khz (sorry for confusion)along with being close to an airport has curbed my enthusiasm for flying round here, it's a mile away and far from the 2.4GHz used for my expensive toy. Would you even bother trying? at that power there could be some nasty harmonics. I am a keen SDR-play user with a amplified magnetic induction loop antenna for short wave listening and this pisses all over it up to about 5MHz.
First, I’m a Ham and lifelong shortwave listener. I think you might be playing with fire flying around that flame thrower. Use a lot of caution and make sure that your home point is always established before you really go high and fly. No matter what when you fly there’s always a risk. Even the best pilots can have a fly away. If you do , do your best to get it to RTH. Almost happened to me this summer but TTH saved a thousand dollar mistake from happening. Good luck! 73, K9HDT

My informed opinion. At frequencies below 50mhz If the RF environment is safe for humans then it will be safe for your drone.

As another poster mentioned above, you can test fly your drone safely with a 1 meter hover to check for control issues. I'd stay away from cell tower transmitters unless your drone is insured against loss for that type of work.

Rick Stirling AE7RS
Retired E.E.

Lots of helpful input thanks, much appreciated.

While walking around the site yesterday I heard some shooting going on again! 12 bore at ducks I think, that sealed the decision for me

NOPE ! who wouldn't take a shot at my Mavic given the opportunity.

de KØUNX. Advanced Class Amateur Radio Operator with 66 years as a ham. I fly near commercial broadcast towers regularly, and have never experienced a problem. Just watch out for the GUY WIRES that hold those things upright.

View attachment 82101
My rule of thumb is if I have to ask myself if this is a good idea, it's probably not and I won't do it. Even if others have done the same thing without issue it's your bird and if I'm questioning the flight I simply won't launch.

My rule of thumb is if I have to ask myself if this is a good idea, it's probably not and I won't do it. Even if others have done the same thing without issue it's your bird and if I'm questioning the flight I simply won't launch.

I have concluded it's a no-go with the gun boys and 10KW transmitter and close airport

As an aside I have discovered from this excellent forum I can fly from my car (large sunroof) and this opens up a lot of scope for flying in other areas, why you may ask well I get paranoid and feel vulnerable with the goggles on if I cant see who is about, especially dogs!!!

Also... as this is resolved and there are a few SW radio people here does anyone transmit in FT8? I have been getting contacts from all over the world on 20 and 40 mtrs, if you would like I will search and see if I heard you from the UK if you would like to post your call-sign here, or indeed point your rig here at a certain time and I'll listen out :)contacts.jpg

Easy test- turn on your drone and watch what your controller and phone/tablet show for interference.

Frankly, I doubt the tower will affect your flying much and like some of the other gents here, I'm a long time RF engineer. Fly more, worry less.

View attachment 82101

Flew less than a mile from a 100KW FM antenna.....

And that was before I knew what I was doing or done any modding to the Mavic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580