DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

10 bit 422 question Mavic Pro 2

Standuptommy

Reactions
I always thought that the Mavic Pro 2 when set to Dlog and H265 was 10 bit 422. Now I have reason to believe it's 420. Does anyone know the fact. Also I'm pretty sure when in H265 and in Normal color space that it is NOT 10 bit. Please if someone really knows please answer. Thank You.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I always thought that the Mavic Pro 2 when set to Dlog and H265 was 10 bit 422. Now I have reason to believe it's 420. Does anyone know the fact. Also I'm pretty sure when in H265 and in Normal color space that it is NOT 10 bit. Please if someone really knows please answer. Thank You.
I can’t answer your question, but I can learn something from you. I record in HLG on my M2P and post process in FCPX with my output using the HLG transfer function. My proxies are 422. The truth is I really don’t know what I’m doing, but I like the looks of the results.

So the question is what is the difference between 422 and 420 such that it is an issue you pay attention to?

10bit H265 DLog on the M2P is 4:2:0, but it's still better than 8bit 4:2:2.

You can only get 10bit when using DLog. The purpose of DLog is maximum dynamic range and post-processing leeway so it goes hand in hand with 10bit information. If you don't want to do any editing, you're better off in the normal/8bit mode.

You can only get 10bit when using DLog. The purpose of DLog is maximum dynamic range and post-processing leeway so it goes hand in hand with 10bit information. If you don't want to do any editing, you're better off in the normal/8bit mode.
Is the normal 8 bit mode the H264 setting?

I can’t answer your question, but I can learn something from you. I record in HLG on my M2P and post process in FCPX with my output using the HLG transfer function. My proxies are 422. The truth is I really don’t know what I’m doing, but I like the looks of the results.

So the question is what is the difference between 422 and 420 such that it is an issue you pay attention to?
yes Dave below is right. 422 has a lot more information to play with in post as well as 10 bit does. I always color grade so it's important to me but sometimes depending on the scene the standard 8 bit looks great. If you do a test you can see it clearly how different the dynamic ranges is between 8 and 10 bit (Standard Color vs Dlog) It's quite different.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

Thank You Canada Drone for weighing in. I do understand all that as I am a colorist who specializes in color grading. But with all my tools I can see easily whether footage is 10 bit or 8 bit but there is no way for me to tell if it's 420 or 422. I can't find anywhere that states if H265 Dlog is 422 or 420. Do you know for sure it's 420 and how do you know. Please let me know. Tom

Thank You Canada Drone for weighing in. I do understand all that as I am a colorist who specializes in color grading. But with all my tools I can see easily whether footage is 10 bit or 8 bit but there is no way for me to tell if it's 420 or 422. I can't find anywhere that states if H265 Dlog is 422 or 420. Do you know for sure it's 420 and how do you know. Please let me know. Tom

There are programs that can check such as ffmpeg and I am pretty sure VLC will tell you too if you play your footage and look at the media info - just don't have it in front of me at the moment to confirm. Some displays will tell you as well, for example my HT Projector will tell me the Chroma Subsampling of any footage I am watching. M2P H265 Dlog footage is 4:2:0.

There are programs that can check such as ffmpeg and I am pretty sure VLC will tell you too if you play your footage and look at the media info - just don't have it in front of me at the moment to confirm. Some displays will tell you as well, for example my HT Projector will tell me the Chroma Subsampling of any footage I am watching. M2P H265 Dlog footage is 4:2:0.
What is M2P HLG footage?

What is M2P HLG footage?

HLG stands for "Hybrid Log Gamma" and is basically the M2P's option for shooting in HDR (High Dynamic Range). I personally don't use it but others seem to find that it is not terrible straight out of the drone provided you have a display capable of playing HLG HDR content. If you want to edit it, you need a proper monitor for HDR editing or you will just be relying on the color scopes to grade it, and it can be quite taxing on PC resources.

HLG stands for "Hybrid Log Gamma" and is basically the M2P's option for shooting in HDR (High Dynamic Range). I personally don't use it but others seem to find that it is not terrible straight out of the drone provided you have a display capable of playing HLG HDR content. If you want to edit it, you need a proper monitor for HDR editing or you will just be relying on the color scopes to grade it, and it can be quite taxing on PC resources.
Yeah, I’ve been using the HLG transfer function in my last several movies. I find it much easier to process in FCPX using a wide gamut project space. Proxies are in ProRes 422. For quick drafts I render using PQ. My iMac Pro screen and my Samsung TV display HDR. I find my fade transitions much less pixelated with either HLG or an HDR10 output. The original clips do look pretty good, but I modify them by increasing contrast, and a minor adjustment to global saturation depending on the scene. Other than that, it’s pretty easy-peasy. As long as I supply the meta data, YouTube does pretty good in generating an 4K HDR video with Dolby vision.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54