DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 again

PoonDog

Reactions
Yes I am old and Yes im grumpy, But im still confused as to why alot of people on the forum feel that if they take the test and get there 107 that they can then go out and make there fortune with there drone.. It seems that nobody takes into consideration that there is much more to commercial operation. I was in a small business venture for a couple years and I tried to do everything above board as in business licence, taxes, bonds , proper insurance and all the rest. It took two years for me to be run out of business by the fly by night operators who had no regard for anything. I failed and they made money. I guess it really sticks in my craw that fly by night , seat olf the pants operators get away with this sort of s---t . Personally speaking for myself if I decide to take my MA out and take a bunch of pictures , have them processed then go to the local farmers market and attempt to sell them, thats what I would do with or without a 107. The test can be passed by any 3d grader who wants to spend a few hours studying sectional charts . In my town there are three legitimate Drone operators who follow the rules and ,probably are doing quite well. There are also a bunch of people that do whatever they want and probably make a few bucks. There is always people out there that will lowball honest opperations and pay some shmuck with a drone th do there work for less money. The 107 cert means nothing to a person who sells a few pictures to cover his or her expenses.
Just Saying.
Go forth and prosper, but dont do it at the expense of others that are trying to do it right.
Fly Safe.

I agree PoonDog . . . completely. Isn't it funny how some industries are affected by scammers, fly by night-ers and not others? Case in point, DJI. No matter how many copycats, knock-offs, ripoffs and thieves . . . they remain on top. Its because of the quality of their product (even at an ever-escalating price).

But it doesn't relate to what we do (or attempting to do). Our quality is equal to the fly by night vidiots because (in many cases) we are using the same equipment. Sure, creative content and 'an eye' for photography is important. But most common people are simply amazed at the different perspective coming from above. Quality and creativity go out the window.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this (in California); toy drone operators (I won't call them pilots) show up at parks, family reunions, pic-nics, beach parties to sell group pictures (printed out on the spot) from the trunk of a 1972 Datsun 1200. This happens all the time. Part 107 means nothing to someone who doesn't even know what it is. To them . . . its no different than a really long selfie stick.

I don't know if there is an answer to this. Too many sUAVS, too many misinformed pilots, too many delusions of grandeur and absolutely no way (or resources) to police it. . . and legitimate pilots suffer because of it. I here you sir. You are not alone. The newbies coming in have this 'new found business' mentality. I tell them to search out the forum BEFORE you jump in. . . every high school athlete thinks they are going pro; but we know what the reality of that is. . .

@ PoonDog - I fully understand and sympathize with all that you have said. I use to have a hotshot trucking business and followed by the rules, D.O.T. numbers, log books, insurance, etc. I was amazed by how many "outlaw" operators that I came across that gave two hoots about the rules and ran w/o D.O.T. authorization, insurance, etc. Couldn't compete when they out bid you by a large margin. Frustrating to say the least. ?

Reactions: PoonDog
To have a Licence or Not to have a licence, That is the question.

@ PoonDog - I fully understand and sympathize with all that you have said. I use to have a hotshot trucking business and followed by the rules, D.O.T. numbers, log books, insurance, etc. I was amazed by how many "outlaw" operators that I came across that gave two hoots about the rules and ran w/o D.O.T. authorization, insurance, etc. Couldn't compete when they out bid you by a large margin. Frustrating to say the least. ?
95 1 ton dodge with 36 ft goosneck traile trying for two years to do the same thing. Washington to so Cal. Lost it.

Reactions: Splue
95 1 ton dodge with 36 ft goosneck traile trying for two years to do the same thing. Washington to so Cal. Lost it.
I work in the automtive industry specifically with car haulers and I see this all the time...
the car carriers making the most money had the sketchiest trailers, clearly outdated business practice and not properly maintained. typically smelly people as well lol.
now on the other hand you have true legitimate hard working dudes following all the rules, fully insured, newer up to par equipment, etc... and these guys are struggling to make ends meet. What a world we live in!

I agree PoonDog . . . completely. Isn't it funny how some industries are affected by scammers, fly by night-ers and not others? Case in point, DJI. No matter how many copycats, knock-offs, ripoffs and thieves . . . they remain on top. Its because of the quality of their product (even at an ever-escalating price).

But it doesn't relate to what we do (or attempting to do). Our quality is equal to the fly by night vidiots because (in many cases) we are using the same equipment. Sure, creative content and 'an eye' for photography is important. But most common people are simply amazed at the different perspective coming from above. Quality and creativity go out the window.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this (in California); toy drone operators (I won't call them pilots) show up at parks, family reunions, pic-nics, beach parties to sell group pictures (printed out on the spot) from the trunk of a 1972 Datsun 1200. This happens all the time. Part 107 means nothing to someone who doesn't even know what it is. To them . . . its no different than a really long selfie stick.

I don't know if there is an answer to this. Too many sUAVS, too many misinformed pilots, too many delusions of grandeur and absolutely no way (or resources) to police it. . . and legitimate pilots suffer because of it. I here you sir. You are not alone. The newbies coming in have this 'new found business' mentality. I tell them to search out the forum BEFORE you jump in. . . every high school athlete thinks they are going pro; but we know what the reality of that is. . .
I should have gone on alert when I saw "trunk of a 1972 Datsun 1200". I was doing fine until I got to the "really long selfie stick", then the milk and cookies came out my nose........ I'll never drink and read your comments at the same time again.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have my 107 and never thought I’d do it for a living. I just figured I’d be legit in case someone wanted me to do something I can charge for. I look at it like this...I love droning, photography, videography and editing...so I lowball all the other ppl, have my fun and grab enough cash to buy me some lunch and maybe some other toys along the way. I do let ppl know when I bid, that with me being a FAA 107 pilot, they don’t have to worry about violating any FAA regulations which could escalate up to monetary punishment. It’s the truth and most legitimate business owners would prefer to obtain legal services, especially when price is comparable. It reminds of the 80’s when union trades had all the work and then “scab” companies came in and cut corners and cost.
If I didn’t live it, I’d never do it, regardless of the amount of money. If you love it, it ain’t work!!! I guess my method has paid off bc I have 7 jobs waiting on me now but this storm won’t leave the Houston area. lol.

@kwilliams6045 - You got your 107 so you are doing it right. If you follow the rules and get the job hats off to you. It's the people that don't even attempt to be legal that are the gripe. They don't have the overhead cost of getting their 107, insurance and all of the other requirements for being a legit business so they can afford to low ball a bid.

Reactions: billleigh3
I have my 107 and never thought I’d do it for a living. I just figured I’d be legit in case someone wanted me to do something I can charge for. I look at it like this...I love droning, photography, videography and editing...so I lowball all the other ppl, have my fun and grab enough cash to buy me some lunch and maybe some other toys along the way. I do let ppl know when I bid, that with me being a FAA 107 pilot, they don’t have to worry about violating any FAA regulations which could escalate up to monetary punishment. It’s the truth and most legitimate business owners would prefer to obtain legal services, especially when price is comparable. It reminds of the 80’s when union trades had all the work and then “scab” companies came in and cut corners and cost.
If I didn’t live it, I’d never do it, regardless of the amount of money. If you love it, it ain’t work!!! I guess my method has paid off bc I have 7 jobs waiting on me now but this storm won’t leave the Houston area. lol.
Im not in a possition to disagree with you. Bit of a Pirate are you ? I really have no problem especially as the FAA has no teeth and LE dosnt care. Im old, dont need the money ,love to fly , shoot picks and drink beer.
Fly safe dude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78